What's new

Good home finance software for Mac? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Intuit is supposedly going to be releasing a version of Quicken 2007 for the Mac in the next few months that works under Lion (I wonder if it will be called Quicken 2007 in 2012?) Not sure if Quicken Essentials will be end of lifed at that point...the story said there would be a way to migrate Quicken Essentials data to the old new software. I've been using Quicken Essentials for a couple years and I'm happy with it. I'm not the type of person that spends every night leering over my investment portfolio to scrutinize every gain or loss for the day, nor do I have to categorize every expense to the penny, so I'm probably the type of person it's targeted for.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr

Intuit is supposedly [url=http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/intuit-to-bring-quicken-2007-to-mac-os-x-lion/11936]going to be releasing a version of Quicken 2007 for the Mac in the next few months that works under Lion (I wonder if it will be called Quicken 2007 in 2012?) Not sure if Quicken Essentials will be end of lifed at that point...the story said there would be a way to migrate Quicken Essentials data to the old new software.
That's great of Intuit giving Mac users an upgrade path to five year old software. Maybe they'll include a free copy of OS 10.4 Tiger with every purchase!

What's sad is I'm still supporting these yahoos by buying Quicken for Windows (sigh)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guess nobody saw this/: http://kensegall.com/blog/2011/12/quicken-stuck-in-a-timehole/ A guy worth following if you don't already. I never heard of him till Gruber linked him tonight.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
My wife was using iBank 2 on a daily basis. It broke under Lion -- I upgraded her to iBank 4, and she angrily stopped using it, complaining that it had become way too complicated, messed up her old data, etc. I played with it trying to get info downloaded from Amex, Citibank, Chase, etc. -- painful, didn't work in a fully automated fashion, you needed a paid monthly subscription for some institutions, etc. A mess.

I am probably going to write her a dead simple budgeting app from scratch to keep her happy. But suggestions a greatly welcome for something with a CLEAR, UNCLUTTERED, simple to learn, painless to use UI. Fully functional downloads would be great as well..

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam - I really didn't need another feed in my RSS

Ted - If you're starting from zero, how about using Excel or Numbers?

Even Quicken 2011 on Windows doesn't import universally and flawlessly. It seems to depend on the financial service.

I'm disappointed MS left the market. I liked MS Money and used it for 10+ years. And it annoys me to support Intuit...suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. But they're the best program around if you can run Windows.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
My wife loved Money the best as well. I was really surprised MS left the market gave they had the best tool.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Wow I had no idea Microsoft killed Money. This is really a bizarre area: I just don't get how Quicken doesn't make good Mac software. I have heard from a number of indie developers with cross platform software who are making way more from the Mac version. These days the entire > $1000 PC part of the market (read: people who spend money on software) has gone Mac. Intuit's actions are just bizarre. Maybe they make most of their money on tax software and don't really care about Quicken.

As for using a spreadsheet -- we tried a likely Numbers template, it didn't do what she needed. Obviously it could have been fixed, but if I am going to be programming something, I don't want to waste my time on Numbers templates, I want to spend it on Ruby on Rails, or Cocoa where I am improving my marketable skills.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Killed it off around 2009. Too small a market so MS quit.

I'm not a fan of spreadsheets for finances...but many people who want something simple go that route :) And would beat out re-inventing the wheel. But I understand why it didn't' work. But since you've got professional / hobbyist motivations, good luck! Maybe you can sell your app on the AppStore!

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
i have used quicken on my mac for the last 10 years and can recommend it If you use it in combination with Turbo-tax as well are you guaranteed a tax refund every year - I have always got a least 1 K back every year and that in itself has been worth the $ 50 price tag Good luck

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's no longer a good recommendation. It's six years out of date and won't run on any new or updated Mac running ; Mac Quicken 2007 doesn't work in OS X 10.7.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Awesome! Nothing says success like killing the new product and re-releasing the six year old version.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
It doesn't sound like they're killing the new product: "New Quicken customers should choose Quicken Essentials for Mac to get started."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They may not be killing it, but it's obviously not successful, if they're resurrecting its outdated, abandoned predecessor.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Sam Posten said:
What does this have that Essentials does not?
I don't have the full list of grievances that most Quicken "power" users had against Essentials...something along the lines of lack online payments, lack of check printing and limited investment tracking. In any case, I long ago moved on and will be sticking with Essentials, which suits my needs just fine.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Not in Essentials:

Investment Buys & Trades & Evaluation reports - you only get basic summaries.

Direct Bill Pay from within the product is not supported from Quicken Essentials

Does not support QIF

Will not track multiple properties, rental income, or rental maintenance cost

Monthly/Yearly Forecaster function not included

Life savings planner not included

Tax Planner not included

Home Inventory not included

Cash Flow Forecast not included

Debt Reduction Planner not included

Check Printing offers more limited choices

Those are the differences.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you want to track investments, you'll notice it. It looked inadequate to track basic 401k stuff. Last I looked, I also thought it couldn't handle a mortgage, but don't quite me. Also, note, I'm a bit crazy on the topic. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That said, I don't know what else I'd recommend. The products from the smaller shops have their merits and fans, but none thrilled me either. I'd say try the demo and see if it does what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks