What's new

Good deals on pre-packaged HT and projectors (1 Viewer)

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Looking for promotions/deals/discounts on prepackaged 7.1 HT systems w receiver.And also projector (with or w/o screen)Thanks if anyone can help out.Piecing something together myself is a nightmare.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Respective budget? Myself, Im a firm believer in; refurbs, previous year models and used. Its allowed for a much better system than I could ever justify at full price. Craigslist, ebay, videogon, audiogon are my usual stomping grounds.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Looking for promotions/deals/discounts on prepackaged 7.1 HT systems w receiver.And also projector (with or w/o screen)Thanks if anyone can help out.Piecing something together myself is a nightmare.
I won't address the pre-packaged HT systems because for the most part, they are inferior.As far as the projector/screen combo, we need MUCH more info. That's like going to a car forum and asking "What car should I buy".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Groupon has a deal on a Mits DLP projector with(I think) a Mustang screen for $900. $800 w/o the screen.

Forget which projector it is...and even though Mustang is the Vizio of the screen world....it is, at least, a screen. If you can't paint your wall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Audio...

Where do we start...

What are your sources?

Ipad/ipod/droid?
Cassette?
CED?
LD?
LP?
Victrola?
Magnavox Oddysey?
Nintendo cube/64/Wii?
Intellivision/Atari?
VHS?
8mm?
Mini-disc?
DVD/BD?
Stored content on a hard drive?

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Thanks guys. I guess I'm in the 2k range for the receiver and speakers.And 1k for projector.I can paint screen.Room is 21 × 153 tiers8'10" foot ceiling in the back wall9'7" front wallFramed in, nothing else.

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
DroidLPs on 80's Micro Seiki beltXBox 1DVDAlthough I would like to keep this purely Theater Cinema dedicated.Unless everyone can give me reasons otherwise :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
paratus said:
Although I would like to keep this purely Theater Cinema dedicated.Unless everyone can give me reasons otherwise :)
Speakers that sound good for music...work wonders for home theatre. Set it up for best sound...best sound...is best sound, regardless of what you are feeding it for content.

$2000 is plenty. I would budget as such...

$500 AVR
$500 sub
$1000 for the 7.0 (this is the easy part as there is very few things to even find to fit 7 speakers on $1000...new)

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Well I am old school. Although I prefer new gadgets and love technology all of my audio stuff is from the 60's 70's and 80's. This is my first real venture into a AV. I could literally feel the walls of the theater room with old rebuilt floor speakers :)It's very exciting and pretty amazing to see the new technology and what it is capable of

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Type A said:
Respective budget? Myself, Im a firm believer in; refurbs, previous year models and used. Its allowed for a much better system than I could ever justify at full price. Craigslist, ebay, videogon, audiogon are my usual stomping grounds.
I would love to go this route however I'm at a loss as to what is a good deal and what's a rip off or garbage.Old vacuum tubes are what I am accustomed to.But from what I have been researching it all seems pretty cut and dry.I want 7.2 w atmos wiring.1 big sub one small tight 1.I am not too concerned with being a little lossy although I would prefer lossless.I'm a big bass head and I could build the sub's myself.Refurbs would be GREAT but I'm flying blind here.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is an older thread(the guy hasn't posted in a while, cause his room...like yours, isn't done) where a guy had your budget and scored two Mission Argonaut 780, Mission 734(or 736...forget which) and a big Mission center for $900 total.

Those Argo were $2500(something around there) new in 1987.

A good speaker is a good speaker, regardless of when it was made. Granted...the "tech" that was revolutionary in 1987 is "old hat" in today's world and exists in a $600 pair of speakers. The Argo's are not, by any means, obsolete.

By the way. I was jamming some CeeLo Green this morning through a pair of refurb'd Wharfedale W60E. Those aren't obsolete either. Although...for a driver as big as they are packing...gutless under 100hz. (guessing on the 100hz. Currently use an elder Panasonic SA-HE200 to power them. The crossover choice is 100/150/200. The sub is an old JVC 10" I was given about 12 years ago cause it blew fuses. Solved it by going from a 5amp fuse to a 7amp fuse)

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Yeah I saw that thread and it kind of died off midway, sucks cause I was excited to see the outcome.Needless to say although I'd love to build out the entire room with my old speakers (got 8 pairs stored unused) I'd much rather prefer a new style with better tech and the myriad possibilities they possess.I do have about 15 or 20 old film projectors that I would like to incorporate into the design somehow perhaps behind glass or displayed around the front screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Old speakers?

Like how old? LaFayette/Heathkit old? Or Pioneer HPM old?

(Asking cause I'll gander a guess my Wharfedale are probably around the same age...and I'd have no issue buying 3 more for a home theatre...Yes...I'd use a W60E as a center speaker)

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Lol yeah LaFayette and some Fishers peppered through with Pioneer and others.Wharfedales love em. Are they the old side table version?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With its YPAO it could probably make up for having different makes all around the room(since it is parametric...it can smooth out timbre issues better than Audyssey)

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I should just give you guys my credit card number and address and a limit and just wait to see what shows up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks