What's new

Good deal on Z3? (1 Viewer)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I also beleive the Z3 is a significant upgrade from the Z2 although in a totally dark room, the difference might not be worth the additional price. I have the Panasonic PT-L500U and the Sanyo PLV-Z3 and believe the difference when viewing on a 77" screen in a dark room is not much. I think beginning with one of the 720p LCD projectors is a good choice. The current PLV-Z4 and Panasonic PT-AE900U would be a better option if the price is acceptable.

Chris

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm still kicking around whether my room has too much light for front projection or not. Currently the Z3 has me very tempted, plus I'm thinking I could start off with a flat white screen, perhaps this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=218492

And see how well it works for LESS than the Sony 50A10 rear projector that I have been thinking of.

I saw one of these dalite instatheaters at the last HTF Hollywood trip and it was FINE for me paired with a nice Infocus 7210 in a room that had a bunch of light...

Decisions decisions....

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, if anyone has a Z3 (or lucky you, a Z4) they would be willing to show off in the NJ area, I'd love a short demo! I'll bring beer and chips =)

Sam

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I'd love to get a Z4, the contrast on that is rated at 7000:1, that's huge, but it's too far out of my budget at more then $700 over the Z3.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, finally got some measurements in my room. It's 16" long, and if I go the FP route I would expect to use it table top first, and that would be approximately 11" from the screen location, and if I did a permanent mount it would be between 14 and 15 feet from the screen.

Looking at the PJ Central Screen Calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm

12 Foot at 1.0 Screen gain gets me 96 to 115 inches or so.

I am looking at the greywolf which is claimed to be 1.8 but actually 1.4 or so according to users. I also have more ambient light than usually recommended.

So, am I looking ok at having either of the two Greywolf screens (92/106) or is my math off?

Sam

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Your math seems right according to the calculator Sam. I punched in 12' and came up with the same.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Sorry for the confusion Ron. My comment was meant more as a joke at the upgradius bug... Yes, this is my first PJ. And hopefully my only PJ for a long time. I am happy to have the thumbs up from you guys as to my PJ choice! Thanks!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey, no problem Paul. I gotta say this Z3 is awesome, the PQ is stunning right out of the box. Colors are vibrant, blacks are deep, detail is huge, this thing is sharp. I'll provide a more detailed review in the next few days.

My biggest issue now is vibration. My Panny did not suffer at all but this Z3 is bouncing all over the place and I bet it's due to the lens shift. I think though I've got it just about under control. I'm modding my mount so the PJ completley rests on rubber washers and no mounting hardward touches my diy ceiling mount or the PJ. A test run did away with about 95% of the vibration so I am almost there.

Users who are viewing this thread