What's new

Gone With the Wind deleted footage (1 Viewer)

Passkal Lwazon

Auditioning
I'm a big fan of GWTW and I just found out that in 2002 some information about the deleted footage of GWTW was published on this site.
Quote :
Posted February 23 2002 - 01:21 PM
A man named Jim Tumblin, who is the owner of the largest privately-owned collection of Gone With the Wind memorabilia in the world, has been contacted by Time-Warner, Ted Turner, and New Line Cinema, and is in ongoing negotiations with one or all of them to determine the proper venue for releasing his 90 MINUTES OF DELETED SCENES AND TRIMS FROM GONE WITH THE WIND!The deleted footage was gifted to him many years ago by Arthur Arling, who was the Camera Operator for GWTW.
End of quote

Now 11 years later, what has come out of it? Was it a hoax? Or is there some legal reason that prevents the deleted footage to be released?
I'd be very grateful if you could provide me with some update.
Passkal.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
The footage has been wrapped up in various parties trying to figure out who legally owns it. Even when Tumblin talked to Warner Bros. about letting them use the footage, their first instinct was to try to reintegrate it (which seems ridiculous and was not happening per Tumblin .)

Screecaps from moments of this footage have been sold on ebay, so it apparently exists. But there have been no updates on the result of the legal status that I know.
It's either outright Tumblin's, Warner's or the Selznick heirs.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I knew Frank Coughlin Jr. He was the wounded soldier being carried down the road. He told me he originally had a line, "Damn this war." But they cut it because they didn't want two damns in the picture.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
bigshot said:
I knew Frank Coughlin Jr. He was the wounded soldier being carried down the road. He told me he originally had a line, "Damn this war." But they cut it because they didn't want two damns in the picture.
There's a bit of a continuity error involving Frank. He's seen being carried by another soldier just moments before another shot where he's trudging along, faints and is picked up by that same soldier.

Passkal Lwazon

Auditioning
People at large do not appear to be aware of the fact that deleted scenes are still extant and considering the fact that GWTW still has a wide following of fans the world over, I keep wondering whether some kind of Facebook petition or other would prove useful to speed up the release of those deleted scenes?
Any suggestion to help this become a reality? Or do we have to hope and pray for their release in 2039, for the GWTW centennial?
Last but not least, a question to Mark Mayes: You recently confirmed that the footage does have sound. Could you also confirm that the deleted footage corresponds with the deleted scenes listed by Ron Haver in his "David O.Selznick's Hollywood" (Knopf)?

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I cannot confirm that they are the deleted scenes Haver listed- as I have not seen the footage, but have only spoken to the man who has it. He mentioned outtakes and alternate shots being included. The couple of shots I have seen taken from frames of this footage include the carriage ride to Twelve Oaks and Scarlett;s return to Tara at the end of the film.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Not all deleted scenes are worth putting back in. Sometimes--more often than not--deleted scenes are deleted for a reason!

Passkal

Auditioning
Real Name
Pascal Loison
Yes, Vic, you are quite right but in the particular case of GWTW, it is reported that some scenes were shortened or altogether deleted because its original running time of about four hours and twenty minutes was deemed too long so MGM sales executives pressured Selznick to shorten it, for the sake of an extra daily showing. (see Gavin Lambert's The making of GWTW OR Ronald Haver's Selznick's Gone with the wind)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It's a shame WB still hasn't been able to negotiate obtaining these scenes. Definitely would have made the 75th anniversary UCE worth the upgrade. Hopefully one day...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
2014 is looking to be all about GWTW, Oz got all the praise last year, so I guess it's only fair. 90 mins, wow that's impressive, I think I've heard about these scenes before either in 50th Anniversary book or in the making of documentary. What could be holding up the release of these scenes if WB has the rights to GWTW, unless MGM has some control over some of their film titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks