What's new

Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. Fifth and Final Season DVD Release Date (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I have only watched a couple episodes so far from season one. It has been years since I have last seen these. I have a quick question, has every single time Gomer sings been cut or is it just certain episodes?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Season One is complete as far as I can tell. I got so disguisted after LITTLE GIRL BLUE that I am proud to say I am not an authority on CBS/Paramount's sugery on this series. My guess is, if a song's in there, they just missed it with their scissors.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The fifth season showed the series had not run its course. "The Booty Prize" is one of the best of the series. "Come Blow Your Top" is another excellent episode. "To Save A Life" was a show that was ported over from Andy Griffith and it still works. It's just a shame that CBS decided to kill any comedy that had a tree in it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jonathan,

I believe it's certain episodes. I have heard Gomer sing 4-5 times thus far (seasons 1-3); I believe these songs are intact. He sings to Janie, Lou-Ann, et al., and these instances are rather extended (2-3 minutes or so). I don't yet own seasons 4-5; I hope this next season (with the Carol Burnett episode) has the medley intact. I also hope the Washington, D.C. arc has the tunes as they aired. :emoji_thumbsup:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My understanding from Jim Nabors is that the series would have continued but he had an offer to do a variety show and took it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

I'd always heard it was the Tet Offensive that made Nabors realize that he'd rather do a Variety Show than a comedy about the Marines. It was the #2 show on TV for its final season.

Only one episode of Gomer sings in DC storyline has clipped music

Great Talent Hunt - 25:38
Gomer Says "Hey" to the President - 22:33
And A Child Shall Lead Them - 25:34
The Show Must Go On - 25:37

Trouble with music publishers isn't just exclusive to TV shows on DVD. The upcoming U2 Boxset had to yank the CD of "Under a Blood Red Sky" because they still can't come to terms with the owners of "Send In the Clowns."

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'd noticed the short running time on "Gomer Says Hey to the President," and assumed a song must have been snipped out of it somewhere, although there was no jarring moment indicating the omission (as is sometimes the case). Great seeing those Washington DC episodes again. First time I think I've seen them since the 70s. Anyway, the series seems to get better and better with each season. As anxious as I'll be to get the final season, it is rather sad to think there will be no more after that. I've really enjoyed revisiting the series, even though Paramount's song-snipping (especially in the case of "Little Girl Blue") definately stings a bit.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Jim Nabors, if I remember correctly, simply wanted to call it quits after season five. This was a couple of years before the infamous rural purge, and he did go on to star in a variety hour for CBS.

batgurl2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Linda
I glad the last season of Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. is coming out. I like to know when season 4,5,6 of Green Acres be out. I need too.

supes78

Agent
Real Name
Seby
I just bought all of the seasons. Man, I love this show. I forgot just how good the episodes were and Jim Nabors and Frank Sutton can hold their own against the very best comedic duos in my opinion. I was unaware of any music omissions, but of course, I'm only halfway through first season. I love all of the Jim Nabors introductions. Too bad the special features begin and end with season 1. As with a lot of series, I wish there wasn't a big disparity with the packaging of seasons. Season 1 had the slim DVD cases with an outer cardboard sleeve and the others seasons have the standard single sized DVD cases but can hold multiple discs. Oh well, I don't think a repackaging of this series in on the horizon. I guess the sales weren't up to par.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks