What's new

Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. Fifth and Final Season DVD Release Date (1 Viewer)

TVFan

Agent
Real Name
Mark
When I Called CBS Paramont They told me Gomer Pyle Fifth season and complete series will be release Nov. 25.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
TVFan, thanks for the info, although it is hardly accurate on CBS/Paramount's part to call it a "complete" set when they have cut nearly an hour out of it in terms of Jim Nabor songs.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
long as they don't snip away Frank Sutton performances, I'm happy. Sutton was the show. Wonder if he ever took a swipe at Nabors while in character?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's a bad thing. If someone doesn't want to hear Nabor's sing, there's always the scan button.

Just one example: In the episode "Little Girl Blue," where Gomer befriends the lonely daughter of a visiting colonel, the whole emotional climax of the episode for me for thirty years has been at the end when Gomer sings "Put On A Happy Face." To watch CBS/Paramount's version of that episode is to be left feeling I missed the ending somehow. But I didn't miss it--it's simply gone.

For me there is very little point in watching that episode, one of my favorites, anymore.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I could do without Frank Sutton's singing performances (although they were so bad that they were a bit funny).

Seriously, he was wonderful in his role. I don't think he was the show; however, I do think he and Jim Nabors were the show. Take either one away, and I probably wouldn't be ordering my final sets of this excellent series.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carabimero,

I didn't realize this, and I've seen the episode a couple of times over the past six or so months. At least they didn't cut away the dance scene as well near the middle of the episode. :emoji_thumbsup:

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Frank Sutton is one of my very favorite character actors and his dramatic performances in "The Untouchables", "Naked City" and "The Fugitive" (to name but a few) are very compelling. I'd say 3/4 of the success of GP is owed to Sutton, myself. A very highly underrated talent. There's a nicely done web page devoted to the man and actor.

I agree that the omission of the song in "Little Girl Blue" adversely impacts the episode. The next most jarring omission in an episode for me occurs in "Gomer, the Beautiful Dreamer" when Carter sees multiple Gomers in a dream about his 'wedding'. Gomer's choir singing is completely snipped.

MARC1

Agent
Real Name
marc soaper
This is great news on the fifth season of Gomer Pyle hopefully paramount will finish up the fifth and final season of The Odd Couple this year as well.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael,

I remember when he passed away, and how saddened I was at the time. Did you happen to catch Sutton on Jim Nabors' show after the run of Gomer Pyle: U.S.M.C.? He and Duke Slater (Ronnie Schell) were on the show on occasion.

I found it somewhat funny whenever Sgt. Carter would get in a fight with someone (e.g., Tige Andrews and the multi-part boxing episodes; or the ones where the much taller and stronger seargents threatened to pop Carter in the face on occasion). In real life, Sutton was a black belt in Judo.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I still think Sutton's anger at Gomer is from the gut. He was rejected from the Marines (and served in the Army). How could he not want to choke Gomer wearing the dress blues?

If this holds true for a November release, The Odd Couple should be out in Decemeber - since the last few releases have followed that pattern.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Ironically, in S5, we see him get flipped by a female "judo expert". Speaking of the final season, I'm really looking forward to "Come Blow Your Top" and "I'm Always Chasing Gomers"--I've been hyping those up to my 7 year old just about every time we put an episode on.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One problem for the writers of Gomer Pyle was always trying to find plausible ways to throw Gomer and Carter together. I always thought Sutton did a brilliant job in portraying not just his reluctance and impatience with Gomer, but the true friendship they shared, and even Carter's begrudging respect for Gomer. Just a beautiful relationship.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carabimero,

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly about the on-screen relationship. They both portrayed it so well, and with Carter, he frequently had to pretend he didn't care for Gomer, yet underneath it all, you knew he did.

Speaking of ways to get Gomer and Carter together, I cherish the substantial number of times you'd hear something like, "Sure, Boyle. But where are we going to get some nitwit who'd be willing to do that?" Or, "I'd like to get my hands on the knucklehead who thought up this lame-brain idea." And of course, at that very moment, the next thing you'd hear is "Sgt. Carter, you wanted to see me?" (or something to that effect); or perhaps you'd see Gomer walk in to Sgt. Carter's office.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Okay, i'm stupid here as I have all the releases, why is the music omitted? Nabors has a beautiful voice, and I would think that since he is known for his voice that they would have wanted that on the series releases. I can't believe Jim would go along w/them releasing it w/cut music.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There are two answers to your question. The first answer is, many of the songs probably needed clearance, and the market for Gomer Pyle isn't strong enough to warrant the expense. The second answer is, many of the songs were cut not because of clearance issues, but because in my opinion (an opinion formed after the Fugitive S2V1 release), CBS/Paramount simply didn't want to bother with the hassle of seeing which songs needed clearances and which were okay to use. So they cut them all.

They call that, by the way, putting classic TV on a pedestal.

And whether I'm right or wrong with all my opinions toward CBS/Paramount, they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore, or the benefit on my wallet, either. I'm going to ask for season 5 for Christmas and sure, it'll still be a unit sold, but I don't personally buy from that company anymore.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have to admit I preferred Sutton over Nabors as well. They made a great team though... His song performances were definitely hilarious and should never be cut out. I hate to hear all this about cuts because I was really looking forward to seeing these intact. Really sucks.

Sutton is pretty good in Marty too..with Ernest Bourgnine. And excellent in that Twilight Zone about the dummy with Cliff Robertson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks