What's new

GOLDFINGER looks G-r-e-a-t on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Haven't seen any "official" reviews of this yet, so I just wanted to throw in a short personal opinion. GOLDFINGER has never made me happy on either laser disc or DVD. The colors just didn't work - undersaturated, with odd flesh tones that were subject to shifting. Like DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, this Blu-ray is a keeper. Damn, I can't imagine it looked this good when I saw it in 1964. The color is simply revelatory, and of course the gold is especially precious (sorry, couldn't resist). Sharp as a tack. Mono sound wonderfully restored. Well worth the $25.00 I spent at Target to get it (although they'll probably run a $19.99 sale on it soon, as they did with the first batch of Bond Blu-rays) - one of my favorite Bond films. Hesitate for not one instant!!!

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl
The main thing is that Goldfinger looks great - I agree totally!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched Goldfinger this evening... and agree that it looks terrific. This is one of my favorite Bond films, so I am quite pleased this one turned out well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I also watched it early this evening. I was most impressed with the transfer, and I'm hoping this is the LAST time I will buy this, my favorite Bond film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night too. What a wonderful looking disc!

Many things I never noticed before or things that were there in the last SD-DVD, but not as clear. For example, at the golfcourse shop, I never noticed in the background, behind Connery's head as he's first introduced to Goldfinger, there is a wall poster for Slazenger and it clearly says 1964. That was really cool, and early product placement! I never paid attention to it before.

The texture was so clear in Goldfinger's yellow sweater he wore at the golf course as well. The fine weave of Connery's suits and his toupee all were so clear! I also could not help but focus on the textures in the stone walls and wood details at Auric's Stud farm.

And the colors, forgot to mention that. They look wonderful as well. Not over saturated, but appear dialed right in. The gold on Shirley Eaton and the other materials are rendered so well! Brightness and shadow look great, not overly dark or bright.

The fine lines on the faces of Honor Blackman and Shirley Eatan also stood out a lot more then before.

I am amazed at how sharp and clear an older can be when taken good care of for DVD blu ray transfers. With this disc out, the first 3 Bond films can be enjoyed at their best! The Loewry group outdid themselves. I can't wait to see what they do for the Star Trek films. (Though I hear they didn't have the same kinds of resources for those as they did for the Bonds.)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Watched my copy at a friend's house last night on his 50" plasma...what a great transfer! The Connery portion of the Bond catalog has never looked or sounded better, frankly. I can't wait to see what Lowry does with the blu-rays for "You Only Live Twice" and "Diamonds Are Forever"! "Never Say Never Again" also hasn't looked this good to me since I saw it theatrically back in 1983!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Luke! I look forward to seeing Never Say Never Again too. I'm curious about YOLT and DAF as well. I'm also really looking forward to Goldeneye.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great news about the Goldfinger transfer. I'm really looking forward to picking that one up soon!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Lowry does it again!!

Seriously, this company understands digital film restoration. What improvements you saw with the remastered DVD's, it multiplied with this BD release. Stellar in every sense of the word! There is so much fine detail that is seen with this title, from Bond's terry cloth bathing outfit, to the detailing on Goldfinger's vest to P. Galore's cordouroy jeans, it's all there in this film. While it can't look perfect (some segments were of lesser quality) it does look amazing for a film well over 45! Simply put, there's no way you can be disappointed in the video quality of this film.

Audio-wise, I actually was suprised. The beauty of John Barry's great score is unleashed with this mix. I can't say anything bad about how the score is presented. This remix does bring out the action in the mix, though it can't be thought of on a contemporary scale. The dialogue is top quality throughout.

If you like what they did with DR NO, THUNDERBALL and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, then you'll love what they've done with GOLDFINGER. It will be interesting to see how they do with the other 2 Connery era films. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do with ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE as it's one of their most beautifully shot films.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Absolutely gorgeous. I've watched it twice already! :laugh:

Only four more Bond Blu-rays for me: the 2 Connerys, OHMSS and GoldenEye. The SD UE's will do for me on the remaining films.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I saw the Target 14.99 ad and now I have to pick this one up tomorrow with the Matrix 10th and The Princess Bride. Argh, when I got into BLU I was only planning on upgradeing certain titles and the Bonds other than CR weren't in the picture. Ah well, the best laid plans of men and all.....

Judging by how well they have done on the restorations, looks like Dr No, From Russia with Love, Thunderball, and Goldeneye will be seeing their way into my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks