What's new

Going to the Jersey Shore Tomorrow... Which Way to Go? (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Yup, finally taking the family back down to Stone Harbor for our vacation and was looking to you guys/gals for some driving directions.

Yeah I know there's MapQuest and other online tools but most of them I found don't account for alternate routes that well. It's been awhile and I'm not the greatest with directions so any help is appreciated.

We're starting off in Harrisburg, PA and I'd like to not use many toll roads. A friend was mentioning something about going through Lancaster (R30) to Delaware and then to NJ over the Delaware Memorial bridge.

Has anybody used this route or similar directions from or to PA and NJ?

What is your way of getting from PA to the Jersey Shore?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not an expert, but probably the easiest way would be the Atlantic City expressway to the Garden State Parkway to Stone Harbor. However, like you probably know, both are toll roads. The free way, I know my sister who lives on the Jersey side across from Philadelphia has taken I think the Black Horse Pike all the way from her house down to Cape May. From Cape May, you can go north through Wildwood to Stone Harbor but it's slow. BHP is a local road with traffic lights, but if you REALLY want to avoid the toll roads, it is doable. I believe there is also a nice and scenic highway that goes right by Bellplain state forest that is part of the BHP that runs from the Philly area to Cape May.

IF you do go through delaware, if you can get to Lewes via Rt 1, you can take the ferry to Cape May and then avoid the tolls but then again, the ferry ain't cheap either.

If you go across the Del. Mem. bridge, you've hit the NJ Turnpike, again a toll road and then you're faced with going east towards the shore.

Funny, I came home last night from my sister's house and I only had a dollar in my wallet so I had to avoid the toll roads, it's not bad going north-south without tolls, but going east west is harder cause there's more traffic lights unless you want to pay. (I took I-295 north to CR130 to US Route 1 to I-287 and that got me home without paying.)

Jay

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks Jay.

I don't mind spending a few bucks here and there but I'd rather not spend more than $10.00 on tolls one way either.

I forgot to mention that we'll be leaving around 8:00pm so daytime traffic should not be an issue.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hmmm, I don't think the tolls would be too excessive on the A/C or the GSP, but I don't know how much the tolls are to cross NJ and the GSP back.. I think the A/C spits you out at exit 41 on the GSP and Stone Harbor would be around exit 9 I think??? It's been awhile since I've been there. I used to always go to Springers ice cream place when there and I've done a bike tour from Cape May to Stone Harbor before, going through the Wildwoods.

There are definitely some southern NJ folks on this forum. Somebody is bound to give you a better answer, but I'm sure you can get to the Shore via the GSP and the A/C expressway for less than $10, but round trip might be close...

Jay

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
If you take the Black Horse Pike (42 turns into 322), take Rt. 50 south, then Rt. 9 south. Rt 50 is a long, 2 laner, rarely traveled on week days, with plenty of long, straight stretches for passing the occasional camper/boat tower/slow driver :)

The best advice though is to take the AC Expressway to Garden State Parkway. Tolls won't be too bad... No toll coming across the bridges into NJ (Walt Whitman & Ben Franklin), on AC Expressway you'll have a $2 toll in Egg Harbor, then you'll have 2 Garden State park tolls before Stone Harbor exit. Use to be 35 cents each, but that could have gone up. Coming home same tolls, plus $3 to get into PA.

Also, you can take Rt. 55 South which is off of Rt 42, but I'm not sure which exit you'd take as i've never come from that direction. That is the most direct route since it goes south east.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The best advice though is to take the AC Expressway to Garden State Parkway. Tolls won't be too bad... No toll coming across the bridges into NJ (Walt Whitman & Ben Franklin), on AC Expressway you'll have a $2 toll in Egg Harbor, then you'll have 2 Garden State park tolls before Stone Harbor exit. Use to be 35 cents each, but that could have gone up. Coming home same tolls, plus $3 to get into PA.
I agree! (And I drive to A.C. about three times a summer!) ;) Watch yourself at those blackjack tables!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
And if you go the A.C. Expressway you can check out all those "Stay Alert Stay Awake Stay Alive" signs from all those sleepy gamblers going back to PA!

If you do go to Stone Harbor, see if Springer's ice cream store is still there, they have yummy ice cream, they're on the main road I believe that goes into town from the GSP so shouldn't be hard to find.

Jay

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I appreciate the added responses.

Jay,

It's been awhile as I said before but there's NO WAY I could forget Springer's Ice Cream.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I'll have to put my diet on hold for at least one night. :b

Thanks again.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks