What's new

going to buy a reciever this week..need advice (1 Viewer)

London Lawson

Second Unit
ok first thing...i am not real serious or hardcore into ht. i just like something decent and dont want to spend much. i have a yamaha im currently look at buying from best buy unless someone here can point me in a better direction.
yamaha htr 5750

i want at least 6.1 and it will be used for watching tv, movies and xbox. i would have one dvd player hooked up, xbox, hdtv. i dont need anything real expensive and im not real picky on details. i had an aiwa home theater in the box and was pleased with that so that should give u an idea of how easily impressed i am. i dont really wanna spend over 400-500. i will use the speakers that came with my aiwa reciever until i upgrade

so if i could get a few recommendations on some recievers and the best/cheapest place online or offline to get i would appreciate it

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
London,

After owning the HTR-5760 for the past 5 months, I think you might want to take a look at this model, too. The 5760 has pre-outs, which means that in the event you decide you want more power down the road, you would be able to connect a separate amp to it. Also, the 5760 has YPAO, where the included microphone will work in conjunction with the receiver to set your speaker distances and output levels.

The HTR-5750 is lacking in the features that I described. I think you'll be pretty impressed with the new Yamaha receivers compared to your older Aiwa gear. Yamaha gives you quite a few bells and whistles with their products and the prices are not too bad either.

JackS

Supporting Actor
LL- Check out One Call and J&R. Both authorised for all they sell. Spend in the upper limits of your budget and I think you can get a very nice receiver. For HT they all work well so in your case maybe shopping for discounted/close-out prices might be a good idea. Good luck

London Lawson

Second Unit
best price and where?

are those websites?? and i could spend more if u guys think it would be absolutely worth it. i will want something that will last me 4-5 years

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
London,

The HTR-5760 is $399 (including free shipping) from J&R. J&R is an authorized vendor, so you will get the warranty coverage.

The 5760 has all the latest features, so it should last you for the next 4 or 5 years.

J&R's Web Site

London Lawson

Second Unit
will i be able to tell a difference with just the reciever with my old speakers? and what kind of speakers would u guys recommend?

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
London,

Many people think that speakers are the cornerstone of your HT setup. a lower quality receiver and nice speakers will almost always sound better than lower quality speakers and a nice receiver. For receivers, if you have a tight budget you might want to look into refurbished gear.

Accesories for Less offers refurbished Marantz (with full factory warranties):
SR6300 for 429.99 (last years model)
SR5400 for 439.99

One Call has Harman Kardon among others:
AVR230 for 379 (new)
AVR330 for 499 (new)

But like I said earlier if you don't have decent speakers you will really be missing out. For suggestions on speakers try the Speaker Forum.
Hope this helps

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
LL,
I don't know if I'd recommend one over the other. I was just trying to give you as many options a possible. I think they're all decent receivers for the the prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks