What's new

Going through a dry spell (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Last year I was all about tv on dvd and music and movies. This year I find that I just have no interest in those things as much as I did.

Shows that I use to be excited to watch (ALIAS, SMALLVILLE)aren't really top priorities right now. I still haven't finished Smallville S3. I'm bored with Alias S4.

Music is something I am still a bit into, but I guess this last month it's just been sort of ho hum in that department. My cd player is empty and I haven't even really bothered to listen to much other than Fiona Apple's unreleased album.

Last new movie I saw was Finding Neverland , which I absolutely enjoyed, but there are no new movies I really want to see or care to rent.

Is anyone else going through a dry spell in the entertainment area?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
A loss of interest in your usual hobbies and activities is often a sign of depression.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I'm not depressed. I'm doing lots of other things right now to keep me happy and busy. It's just weird how I'm just not as excited about those things anymore.

Dry spells happen to everyone I guess.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like burnout. You may be doing other things to keep you busy but maybe you've watched so much tv that the thought of watching even more is not appealing to you right now. Just don't watch anything for a while. And just to be safe, maybe you should send me your entire collection and I'll be glad to keep an eye on it for you until you're ready to start watching again.:)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Currently, no I'm not actually counting down the days to the Incredibles DVD and my CD player is full. However, I have gone through these things before especially with music. It just happens that other things come along and take my interest but eventually the favorite hobbies are restored to favored status again, meaning that something might come along and peak my interest for awhile but it doesn't mean it will hold my interest for very long.

So yeah, I venture that everyone goes through something like this to one degree or another.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I've been disinterested in movies since Christmas—to the point where I am thinking of canceling my Netflix. Lately, I just don't watch that much TV, period. I have a TiVo full of movies and shows. I seem to have lost my TV-watching attention span. I'm also considering dumping my 5 channel system.

I just can't seem to get into it anymore.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Yeah, my tv viewing has gone down signifigantly this year. I'm done with Alias S4. I just can't into it at all. I was watching Smallville on dvd, but sort of lost interest in it. I was given S1 of 24 a week ago, but haven't even looked at it. I watch AI and Survivor every now and then.

We use to rent movies alot, but I have had no interest in that either. Usually when we go into the store nothing catches my attention, so we walk out empty handed.

I don't know what it is either. Like there isn't one thing I can pinpoint or say it is.... just bored I guess.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I don't know what age ya'll are,but I'm 49, single, and a couple of years back I just seemed to find myself looking at things differently than I had before. Things that used to be so important to me aren't and I'm finding happiness in doing other things and going out with new women. If you are married, spend more time with the family, kids grow up so fast.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Have you tried watching Arrested Development? That should cheer you up. There is a whole hour on tonight.

Probably some outdoor activites would be good to energize your body.

~T

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Oh, I exercise on a daily basis. We play outside alot (got 2 acres of land).

I'm pretty much just talking about my lack of interest in the entertainment area.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I go through similar ups and downs in my interests. For me it seems like the busier and more occupied at work (and part-time grad school) the less interest I have in my normal hobbies which include music listening and film viewing. When work slows up a bit, my interest in my long time hobbies seems to return. Must be pre-occupation on all of the non-fun things I have to do.

J

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Lanie, I know what you mean. For me it's no so much a lack of interest but a lack of time. My daughter takes up so much of my spare time now that I just don't have the time that I use to.

Still, every once and a while I get to watch a movie. We just watched "Collateral" the other night, I'm glad that I got to see it. Still, I think I overdosed on movies a few years ago. I'm definitely not into seeing them as much as I use to.

There was a time when I would go out and see every movie that was nominated for an Oscar before the upcoming Academy Awards. I'm not just talking about Best Picture nominations here...

Those days are gone. I still love movies but my priorities have changed. It has nothing to do with depression. :rolleyes:

Lanie, as long as you have your other muses you will be just fine. Hobbies change all the time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...dry spell? For me not so much. Things seem a little slower, mainly because I'm trying to stick to a budget with my hobbies. I'm looking at the calendar and realizing the seasons have a couple months left and then comes the dry spell of summer.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Do you play video games? If not, that's something you should try in the entertainment area.

~T

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I understand what you mean. In fact, I've been the same way. I used to go into Best Buy and walk out with 3-4 DVDs every week. These days, I haven't bought a single DVD in months. Of course I still go to BB because my husband buys DVDs but me? Nope. I used to be into anime hardcore and while I still enjoy it, I just haven't gotten into any new series.

For me, my interest is waning because our little girl is almost here (due in 6 weeks). I just keep thinking about our future more and how the all that money we spend on DVDs could be better spent on more "sensible" things.

But that's only part of it. The other part is that I just think I've reached the point where I'm content with my collection. All the DVDs I've wanted I already have. I haven't been interested in many new movies in the past few years, so those releases are few and far in between. Everything else I already own. So it's just that I can slow down now and enjoy my current collection. Unfortunately I just don't do that as often as I'd like because time is short and after the babe is here, will be in even more short supply.

I don't see my lack of interest waning any time soon and that's okay. Nobody expects people to keep up their hobbies for their entire lives. As long as you've enjoyed the time in the past you've spent on it, it's perfectly fine to move on to a new hobby and close that chapter of your life.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
exactly. i think everyone goes through periods where they burn-out.

i used to be big time into cd's. i was buying two or three a week. then, one day, i just kinda stopped. it wasn't a conscious decision on my part...it just kinda happened. i actually think it's kind of stressful to try to keep up that level of attention on a hobby...to the point where it's not fun anymore.

and, obviously, if it's not fun anymore...then what's the point.

i've never recovered my former pace either. now, i just kinda casually stroll the aisles. if i see something cool, i'll get it. if not, no biggie.

definitely don't think that something is wrong with you or anything like that. you're not doing anything unusual.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I'm going through it too, but has there been anything good that has come out in a while? Not really IMHO. There hasn't been any really cool major technology products that have come out either. Maybe it's the calm before the storm.

I have been wanting to upgrade my speakers, but I stop because I think to myself, "you barely listen to what you have now". Plus the summer is coming up and I will be inside even less.
I have though about getting into vinyl, cheaply at first and then if I like it, more agressively. Just to enter new territory.

I wouldn't worry. It happens and life goes on. Hopefully something neat will hit the HT/audio segment and get these boards and our minds jumping again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks