What's new

Going bananas trying to figure out crossover setting, HELP! (1 Viewer)

jimbodeako

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim DiCamillo
I’m going kinda bananas trying to figure this all out. Not getting a whole lot of bass coming out of my new sub. My thinking is that my speakers have too high of a “low” frequency crossover (160hz is the lowest) and my Sub crossover is (140hz max). I know I have a relatively cheap/low cost setup, but I would like to get the most out of it, without spending a fortune (which unfortunately I do not have). (The speakers were from a previous surround sound system). Couple of questions: Was thinking of getting new front speakers (possible floor standing) which have a lower frequency range. I’m guessing this would help, but is there anything I can do with the setup I have now? And would I have to get center and rear speakers as well or could I keep them? Is the sub really doing anything, if crossover set at max (140hz) and the lowest the speakers can spit out are 160hz? If I get large floor standing speakers with say a frequency of 45hz-50,000 what settings would you suggest I change? Speakers size? Crossover? And do the crossover on the receiver and the crossover on the sub have to be the same? Thanks if anyone can help this poor confused guy. Haha Below are my system stats: 5 Sony Satellite speakers (6 inch): 100W Max input Frequency Range - 160hz - 20,000hz Dayton Sub-1200 Subwoofer: 120W Settings are: Crossover is 140hz (max), Gain about half, Phase (0), LFE Mono (input) Sony STR-DH500 100w 5.1 Channel Receiver: Setting are: Speaker Size (small), Crossover 160hz, Subwoofer (yes)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do you have a picture of these Sony satellites? I have a hard time believing they are 6" and only reach 160hz. Something doesn't add up. Unless you mean 6" is the size of the cabinet.

jimbodeako

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim DiCamillo
schan1269 said:
Do you have a picture of these Sony satellites? I have a hard time believing they are 6" and only reach 160hz. Something doesn't add up. Unless you mean 6" is the size of the cabinet.
0d770af2_Baita4x.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So those have a 4"-ish woofer and a 2 1/2"-ish tweeter...both paper cone. Yes the 160hz makes sense. You will need to raise the subwoofer crossover in the Sony to "max"(whatever that is) and connect it to the input on the Dayton and set it to max(I originally thought, by your original post, the Sub1200 had an LFE input. It does not, I've never seen a picture till I went to PartsExpress and looked) I would purchase a pair of these...and call it a day... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362849752&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+ss-b1000 Once you buy a better pair of fronts you will then re-set the subwoofer crossover in the Sony to 80hz. All 5 speakers "small".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Couple of other points... The "crossover" on the Dayton itself is not for your use. You bought an AVR with bass management...which renders the crossover knob on the Dayton useless. Set the crossover knob on the Dayton "max" and forget it exists.

jimbodeako

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim DiCamillo
schan1269 said:
So those have a 4"-ish woofer and a 2 1/2"-ish tweeter...both paper cone. Yes the 160hz makes sense. You will need to raise the subwoofer crossover in the Sony to "max"(whatever that is) and connect it to the input on the Dayton and set it to max(I originally thought, by your original post, the Sub1200 had an LFE input. It does not, I've never seen a picture till I went to PartsExpress and looked) I would purchase a pair of these...and call it a day... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362849752&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+ss-b1000 Once you buy a better pair of fronts you will then re-set the subwoofer crossover in the Sony to 80hz. All 5 speakers "small".
Was looking at those speakers as well. You think I need 2 for the rear surrounds as well or just the Fronts? Also, 80hz crossover on the receiver, but would I set the sub to 80hz as well? Was also thinking of these Floor Standing speakers for fronts: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000OG4E1G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=281RKQISB5P7U&coliid=I3NOUWTVXJN7WF Could I possibly use the floor standing ones for Fronts and the ones you suggested for rears and keep my center? Thanks for your quick feedback and knowledge!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Read the post where I said "couple of other points"... You can buy whatever speakers you want. Do you have the money to replace all 5 at once? If so...go ahead. If not, buy the 1000 or the 5000(either is going to be a huge improvement)...then add more later. You could use four of the 5000, if you wanted to.

jimbodeako

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim DiCamillo
schan1269 said:
Read the post where I said "couple of other points"... You can buy whatever speakers you want. Do you have the money to replace all 5 at once? If so...go ahead. If not, buy the 1000 or the 5000(either is going to be a huge improvement)...then add more later. You could use four of the 5000, if you wanted to.
You might have just talked me into the front and rear Floor Standing ones! A few more questions if you don't mind(Sorry, I'm dumb with this stuff): With a 45-50,000Hz frequency response what would you recommend I set the receiver crossover at(and would I still leave the crossover on the sub at max as you suggested or would I have to make it equal to the receiver crossover)? Speakers set as "small" or "large"? Would it be necessary to buy a new center speaker as well or would mine be ok? Thank you so VERY much for your help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If it were we...I'd give your current 5 to a frenemy...(if you get the term...) I'd also replace the center. The current center for the SS series is this... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-CR3000-Channel-Speaker-Package/dp/B000OG88NQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1362852335&sr=8-5&keywords=sony+ss The surround speakers it comes with are practically useless...give them to the same person you give your current 5 to. I've not read the manual for the Sony, so I will presume you only get to set 1 crossover...then pick/choose small or large for the remainder. Set the crossover anywhere from 50-80hz. Where is your personal choice. If you like the result at 50, great. If you like the result at 80, great. Edit: The term "large" and "small" has been a point of consternation ever since the entire stupidity of the setting choice was created. All it means... Small=included in the bass management(IE, lower frequencies are sent to the subwoofer) Large=NOT included in the bass management (IE, this pair of speakers is responsible for 20-20k) When you pick "large" you will then see a setting called "LFE + main". All LFE + main is...is an "end around" of having called your speakers Large, yet still including them in bass management(not exactly accurate...but it is the simplest, close to accurate, explanation)

jimbodeako

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim DiCamillo
Thanks a lot for all the help. Look like i am going to buy one or the other or a combination of the two.(floor and bookshelf)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks