What's new

Godzilla (1998) DVD Question (1 Viewer)

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Is the transfer on this DVD anamorphic? Can someone help point me in the directions for some DVD reviews of GODZILLA (1998)?

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Jim,
The transfer is indeed anamorphic (2.35:1). You can find a good review here
Markie Boy

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Does anybody kwnow when the superbit version will come out in R1?

Still holding to buy the current version and waiting for Godzilla (1998) in glorious DTS.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Nice review.. however.. Godzilla did not have radioactive breath used at any time during this movie. If you have the DVD in the part where he turns around after being fired at by a machine gun, the cars on the ground are on fire and the fire simply spreads by his breath.. they (devlin and emerich ) didnt want him to have radioactive breath because they felt it wasn't realistic. um..yeah.
But anyway, a great looking and sounding DVD with some great action scenes.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Agreed. It's not a spectacular movie, but it's a fun brainless little flick. It's under $10 everywhere I go.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The Dolby Digital 5.1 is fantastic on this movie, but I too await the Superbit version for the DTS. Actually one of the movies that I found works with matrix 6.1.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I also remember buying this back in October of '98 when it first came out and really being impressed with the picture quality. If I remember correctly this came out the same day as the very first batch of Fox dvds. Man, those were the days.

Anyways, I've seen it many times in the Wal-Mart 5.50(now marked 2 for 11 dollars at my local store) bin and it's definitely worth a purchase at that price. I remember reading a comparison between the region 2 superbit and the region regular that said that picture quality was almost identical so I don't know if it's worth waiting for.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Thanks for all the help so far. Should I fear a double-dip on this DVD? Does Sony plan to pimp out a special edition of this movie?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The current release is already a special edition, and one that holds up really well despite being an early DVD.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Glad to hear this is still a good set. I was worried Sony would pimp out a new edition because of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. This seems like a sound purchase. Thanks for the helps folks. Anamorphic, good sound/video...all I need to know.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They already did the doubledip (again) with Independence Day for TDAT.

I wouldn't mind a new release of Godzilla though, perhaps a DTS track. But the current version is definitely very good.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I really doubt we will see a re-release of this. I think they would only do it if a new Godzilla movie was made.
Just my thoughts of course. :)
Also, anyone else notice any time emmerich does a new movie, it's always "the director of independance day"? Nver any mention of Godzilla. Seems as if he knows most of the fans are upset with him for changing Godzilla so much, so he is trying (or hoping) people will forget. anyone else think so? :D

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Mathew Broderick acting was really great in this film, He did what Anthony Michael Hall(Breakfast Club)couldn't do, shake off his younger geek image IMHO. I liked the squared off jaw on this new first of it's kind creature. Animal charactor is a one of a kind, and Jene Reno "Elvis Presley records~He was the king" took the cake!I only paid $5 for the DVD thru a Suncoast.com special.:)

O/T Suncoast had a few for $5 one was "The Jazz Singer" with Neil Diamond and Lucy Arnez in 2.35:1 anamorphic wide screen.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
That's funny, it was Mathew Broderick and the blonde girl that almost ruined this movie for me. I liked everything else but I cringe during any of Mathew's scenes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread