What's new

God's Not Dead (2014), Blu-Ray coming Aug 5th. (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Being of the Christian faith myself, I can't wait to get this movie on blu-ray (though I admit I did miss it during its theatrical run). Features Kevin Sorbo whom we all remember from the Hercules TV series. And if that isn't enough, Dean Cain (Superman from Lois & Clark TV series).
(Ronald, feel free to put a HTF referral link in here).

Amazon Pre-Order Link

YouTube Trailer

God's_Not_Dead.jpg

Excerpt from Wiki:
Plot
Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), a Christian college student, enrolls in a philosophy class taught by Professor Jeffrey Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) who, as an atheist, demands that his students sign a declaration that "God is dead" to get a passing grade. Josh is the only student in the class who refuses to sign and is then required by Radisson to debate the topic with him, with the class members deciding who wins.
Radisson's girlfriend, Mina (Cory Oliver) is a Christian whom he often belittles in front of his fellow atheist colleagues. Her brother Mark (Dean Cain) is a successful businessman and atheist who refuses to see their mother, who suffers from dementia. Mark breaks up with his girlfriend, Amy (Trisha LaFache), a left-wing blogger, when she is diagnosed with cancer. A girl named Ayisha (Hadeel Sittu), whose family (especially her father) are strongly devout Muslims, is secretly Christian; when her father discovers this, he throws her out.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I missed this in the theaters too, but looking forward to watching it on Blue Ray. I'm an evangelical Christian too so I hope this finds a wide audience.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Jari K said:
So it's a good movie?
The reviews have been pretty poisonous, my favorite one being from a reviewer named Ken Hanke of the Mountain Xpress (in Asheville, NC) which reads, in part "God may not be dead, but I'd be willing to wager this movie at least gave him a faint wave of nausea."

That being said, it has racked up a gross of over $60M since March so that's saying something.

In my opinion, the main conceit (that a professor would ever force students to declare that "God is dead" or face failure) seems a hysterical concept designed to play into the perceived persecution fears of its target audience. Additionally, the fact that all of the characters who are "not Christian" are drawn as villains does not bode well for it being anything other than an us vs. them propaganda piece.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
As one who is familiar with the world of academia, I can tell you the main conceit is anything but impossible. I have seen variations of it play out many times. As for the complaint about non-Christians being drawn as villains, I have also seen a good many more movies of the last few decades go out of their way to make the practicing Christian the only villain of the piece.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Jack P said:
As one who is familiar with the world of academia, I can tell you the main conceit is anything but impossible. I have seen variations of it play out many times. As for the complaint about non-Christians being drawn as villains, I have also seen a good many more movies of the last few decades go out of their way to make the practicing Christian the only villain of the piece.
Such as?

I am assuming you will be able to name something where the villian is not an extemist zealot...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Making someone an "extremist zealot" Christian as the villain like in Scorsese's remake of "Cape Fear" is exactly what I have in mind. The original didn't give Robert Mitchum that kind of background. And on television, we had a series that called itself "Good Christian BItches" designed to specifically target and mock people of one faith which is in keeping with the prevailing stereotype of the devout Catholic or evangelical as an uptight, sexually repressed monster lying in wait that has also played out many a time on Law And Order and other TV programs and in films of the last few decades. Throw in the broad assaults on orthodox Christian belief in moves like "The Da Vinci Code" and its all the more reason why my heart does not bleed for those who complain about a film like this one being "us against them."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I find it interesting that there are "christian movies" (like this one apparently) and then there are "biblical movies" (like e.g. Noah). The former takes the religion kinda seriously (follows certain rules of the "true christianity" etc) and the latter mixes religious elements/biblical stories with entertainment. Then many people say that you can't mix religion with entertainment.One of my favourite religious films is actually "The Passion of the Christ". It was a really powerful experience and I'm not even religious.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Jari K said:
I find it interesting that there are "christian movies" (like this one apparently) and then there are "biblical movies" (like e.g. Noah). The former takes the religion kinda seriously (follows certain rules of the "true christianity" etc) and the latter mixes religious elements/biblical stories with entertainment. Then many people say that you can't mix religion with entertainment.One of my favourite religious films is actually "The Passion of the Christ". It was a really powerful experience and I'm not even religious.
I have always found The Passion of the Christ a moving experience!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I work at a "liberal" university. A professor would be fired for such behavior at this and every state school in "liberal" Oregon.
Jack P said:

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Why sure: everyone knows alluniversity profs are conservative, God-fearing individuals!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks