What's new

Gods & Generals... DS *and* DL? (1 Viewer)

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I was just looking at the Gods and Generals DVD and I was surprised to see that the entire movie (almost four hours long) is on one side of the disc, which means it has to be dual-layer, and the extras are on the OTHER side.

I thought they weren't doing dual sided AND dual layer fab yet? Is this a first?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
DVD 18 (dual layer, double sided) has been around for years. Contact was the first disc released this way.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Contact used a conventional RSDL DVD-9 disc. The first DVD-18 (dual-side, dual-layer) release was Artisan's The Stand in October 1999.

Other DVD-18 titles include Windtalkers, Superman, Ben Hur, Dances With Wolves: SE, Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition (first pressing only), Aquaria, Les Vampires, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The 10th Kingdom, Gettysburg and The West Wing: Season One. Not that common, but not unheard of.

Adam

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Also DVD-18: Lonesome Dove (at least at first), Bandits (at least I've heard - can't confirm).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I'll confirm it - widescreen on one side, fullscreen on the other, both sides dual layer.

I think (though I'm not positive) that "Superman: The Movie" is a DVD-14 - dual layer on one side (in this case, the film), single layer on the other side (bonus features).

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
No, I can confirm that Superman is indeed dual layered on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks