What's new

Godfather 4k (2 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd also love to see the Saga/Trilogy format as well.
What doesn't give me much hope is the amount of restoration needed by the original film.
RAH [in any of those articles] doesn't give any indication that more film was restored than was in the theatrical cuts. Indeed it seems to have been such an arduous task to even find all of the original films' elements, I highly doubt they went to the trouble of finding and restoring all of the film elements possible, including those found in the Saga/Trilogy cuts. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't hold out much hope of that.
So it would be nearly impossible to give a Saga/Trilogy cut unless they went back to the original video masters of those LDs/VHS versions, which would look very sub-par in comparison to the restored originals (especially on Blu Ray). The Saga/Trilogy would have to be all from the masters used for VHS/LD or it would be jarringly intercut with restored footage (which IMO would be nearly unacceptable).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm hoping when the new release does arrive, it's with different art than what R2 has gotten. The Godfather films are classy, despite originating from a relatively trashy novel. The European cover art looks like it's being sold to the Scarface '83 generation. But then again, Paramount did release a video game, so maybe that's who they're selling these to these days.
The new R2 version I ordered from Amazon/UK arrived yesterday. I do not agree that it looks like a video game or like solely aimed at the '83 generation.
Left (or on top) is the new version, in a metal box. It's rather classy, actually.
Cees
htf_imgcache_31642.jpeg
htf_imgcache_31643.jpeg

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I like the new cover art too. It's not like it has a picture of a gun-toting Pacino or anything like that.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Cees,
How do these look in comparison to the previous DVD transfers? I've seen a few screenshot comparisons but I'd like to hear some "real world" experiences with them. Also, what is your playback for display and DVD? Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dave,
I haven't even opened it yet.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

As it happened, I received so many packages these last days (including two Fox Western Sets :) ), that I haven't been able yet to see them all.
I'll tell you after the weekend, which will be used to view this favourite(s) of mine, and I also will try to compare several scenes with the previous DVD version!
Cees

Thivanka R. Perera

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thivanka Rukshan Perera
This site has the Godfather listed under September 23! (scroll further down)
Damn, I can't link yet. But it's listed alright.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Thivanka R. Perera

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thivanka Rukshan Perera
Yes, quite true. Did you see the trailer they made for this new DVD release that's up at Amazon (UK)? It's like a trailer for Street Kings or something. It gives the wrong idea to younger viewers (which I think is a ruse to get them to buy it).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
There's some chatter going on indicating these will be announced for BD release during EMA this week.
As with all rumors, take it with a grain of salt.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Jim_K said:
There's some chatter going on indicating these will be announced for BD release during EMA this week.
Let´s hope so! There´s no way I´m going to buy this in SD DVD..

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dave H said:
Cees,
How do these look in comparison to the previous DVD transfers? I've seen a few screenshot comparisons but I'd like to hear some "real world" experiences with them. Also, what is your playback for display and DVD? Thanks.
Dave,
More than a month ago, I promised to tell you.
What happened was: after the first scenes which I carefully judged for their new PQ, even compared it to my old DVD version, I couldn't help just finishing watching the movies. The first two belong to my all-time favourites, and boy, I got pulled in again (as if anyone tried to get me out ;) ), for some scenes like never before, it seemed.
So I simply needed a second viewing just to make sure I would be right on the PQ.
Well, first of all, let me say I never was one of those who disliked the previous DVD version, although it was apparently darker than I remembered from first seeing the movie, years ago, in the cinema. Many scenes are pretty dark, and I even remember them almost as colourless - on the DVD.
But allow me to comment here on the first film only, because that one was the most problematic one (I think) and I have now compared many shots against the DVD version I own.
All I can say, this new version is absolutely beautiful. Problematic scenes are still there, no doubt about that. There still seems something slightly "off", colourwise, in the wedding scene (the one starting the film), many of the other locations in the film are inside a building, often at night with lamp light. The new version seems to make these indoor scenes slightly more red than they used to be on the previous DVD.
But they are better defined and look definitely more like I remember the movie did theatrically.
Scenes in the open are generally really beautiful. The Sicily period is simply amazing. Beautiful contrast, beautiful colours. The assassination of Sonny is shed in a new light, it seems.
The whole picture is much more brilliant, darks now have gone really black (but there's no mudding), and I've seen no distractive DNR, whatsoever. Visible grain is sparse at this resolution (SD DVD), but it doesn't look like it was "wiped out" by a digital process, nor are there wax-like faces.
Somehow, and I'm almost certain it's because of the beautiful restoration, the film (and certainly some parts of it) touched me more than ever before. I love this trilogy (yes, I accept the third one as well) freshly anew.
I hardly dare say it here, but this Amazon UK exclusive SD DVD version (amazingly inexpensive) has considerably wetted my appetite for the upcoming BD version. If you're not planning to buy that blu one, for whatever reason, don't hesitate, I'd say, to order this DVD version.
Only if you don't like the movie enough to accept some of the slight pictorial flaws and difficulties that are apparently present in the original, then refrain, by all means. This certainly looks like a hell of a job, but the totally impossible did not happen.
However, if you know what I'm talking about here, e.g. because you've watched these films so very often, run, don't walk to your PC to order it while still available (or else pre-order the BD - like I just did
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)
Cees
PS: I didn't watch this SD DVD movie on my 120" projection screen (the set-up isn't fully operational yet - has to be calibrated - and not well suited for A/B comparisons) but instead on my Samsung 46" LCD TV-set (1080p), using a region-2 Toshiba HD-E3 to upconvert the 480i image.
C.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cees Alons said:
There still seems something slightly "off", colourwise, in the wedding scene (the one starting the film), many of the other locations in the film are inside a building, often at night with lamp light. The new version seems to make these indoor scenes slightly more red than they used to be on the previous DVD.
But they are better defined and look definitely more like I remember the movie did theatrically.
Cees,
The wedding sequence was designed with great specificity, with the outdoor scenes to be almost shockingly bright when cutting from the interiors.
Also, the wedding mimics the overexposed look of mid-1940s Ansco color.
This is all part of the film's cinematographic design.
RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I see. Thanks, Robert. And now I also understand why.

the outdoor scenes to be almost shockingly bright when cutting from the interiors.
Indeed, the dark indoor scenes are in strong contrast with the party outside.

As is what happens there.

As I said, I found this favourite-of-mine movie even more compelling somehow. I can't wait for the BD!

Cees

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I just watched the Blu for the first time on my Panasonic Plasma 65" ZT60 and aside from using some pro-calibration settings and only wishing Gordon Willis could drop by to tell me if it looks correct in his eyes, the transfer blows me away. I've seen it before on my older plasma but this was a whole new experience.

I have to say these studio master panel displays in the wrong hands could mean bad movie viewings but done correctly I think you could almost tweak poorly color timed films if you have the know how etc.

I could only imagine what this film would look like using a full on 4K video transmission to a 4K tv set.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, sorry for a thread resurrect, but I did a search and this seemed like the right place for it, so here goes,

I finally replaced my old orignal DVDs with the blu Coppola restoration, and WOW, this was absolutely amazing! Totally amazing! The texture, color and glow of these films is like nothing I've seen before, only the restored 2001 and possibly The Master comes even close.

This is truly cinema heaven at its finest. Can't wait for part III tomorrow (as I remember it, it's nowhere near as bad as its rep).

Maybe I am seriously late, but if you don't already own this set, go buy it now. NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks