What's new

Godfather 4k (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER...

"Post Focus will present a comprehensive look at the recent 4K restorations of all three Godfather films by renowned film preservationist Robert Harris and a team of experts, who received valuable input from Allen Daviau, ASC and the trilogy’s director of photography, Gordon Willis, ASC.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Glad to know that they did all three films and not just the first one (or even the first two). Hopefully Paramount sees fit to release them on BD when they get re-released, unlike Chinatown, which didn't get an HD-DVD upon its re-release last Fall.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Glad to see Robert Harris is on board. Though I'd think that Godfather III, being shot on low-fade stock and less than 20 years old, wouldn't have problems yet.
I can't wait for this Blu-Ray.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The 2001 DVD of Godfather III had a serious issue that appeared to be a problem with the source material. From the IGN DVD: Trailers, Wallpaper, Pictures, and Reviews:
"The video quality on this one is just about the same as The Godfather, Part 2 with one noticeable exception: Chapter 17. When Michael and Kay are in Sicily, there is a blindingly obvious problem with the print's light levels fading in and out. I didn't go to DVD review school so I don't know the proper terminology but the entire image goes back and forth several times from optimum color to a marked fuzziness for about four minutes. It is incredibly distracting, even to the untrained eye. Not sure how this managed to sneak by the producers of this collection but it's a definite ugly spot."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Peter Neski said:
I sure hope they are restoring the cuts scenes and do some kind of epic
I love these.
Those additional "TV-scenes" (I assume you mean those?) doesn´t belong to the original films, but I hope that they´re still included in some way. Perhaps limited "Deluxe Edition" etc with "The Godfather Saga" or something..
Now these are the films that would really sell Blu-ray format, bring it on!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Is this the same Robert Harris who, when The Godfather Trilogy was released on DVD, said it wasn't in need of any restoration and looked precisely as it should? THAT Robert Harris???

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert never said the films didn't need to be restored, he said the standard-definition DVD versions were accurate in reflecting the intended look of the films. That's a huge difference. In fact, he's been pretty vocal for some years now that THE GODFATHER was in dire need of a full film restoration.
Vincent
Mike Williams said:
Is this the same Robert Harris who, when The Godfather Trilogy was released on DVD, said it wasn't in need of any restoration and looked precisely as it should? THAT Robert Harris???

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
That is incorrect. People complained about the DVDs, saying Paramount should have done a restoration, and Mr. Harris said they were not in need of a restoration and looked precisely as they should.

If a film is in dire need of restoration, then it couldn't possibly accurate represent the intended look of the film.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Mike Williams said:
That is incorrect. People complained about the DVDs, saying Paramount should have done a restoration, and Mr. Harris said they were not in need of a restoration and looked precisely as they should.
If a film is in dire need of restoration, then it couldn't possibly accurate represent the intended look of the film.
Just because the video representation of the film looks reasonably accurate to what was shown in theaters, doesn't mean that the film elements are in danger of becoming unusable, and in need of restoration.
Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Exactly. RAH has been one of the most vocal proponents of a photochemical restoration of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, even though the current DVD to the vast majority of viewers is "acceptable".

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Douglas Monce said:
..that the film elements are in danger of becoming unusable..
I believe this was the nr.1 reason why these are now being restored. If they don´t do it soon, they´ll become indeed unusable. IMO the earlier DVD-releases look decent, but certainly not perfect.
Earlier thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post3215917
..and:
• Hollywood Elsewhere •
"Coppola said that Paramount was initially not interested in funding the restoration (deemed necessary due to the original negative having been "purposefuly damaged by idiots...misued, cut up") but all that changed when Spielberg stepped into the breach and said, "This is going to happen.""
""Coppola also mentioned that the negative was basically going to dissolve, or very close to complete loss and it would have cost millions of dollars to restore. Paramount was not going to foot the bill for it, he said, but that after Paramount became Dreamamount Spielberg himself made sure they knew they had to restore The Godfather, and the restoration went forward."
This is the huge opportunity for Blu-ray (and SD DVD also), so let´s hope that they´ll deliver the goods. Pristine 1080p picture, lossless audio (with original Mono), new documentaries/interviews, "The Godfather Saga", etc etc. (I can dream, can I?)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Of all the films, I would suspect that GII is in the best shape. This is because GII was one of the last films to be printed in Technicolor IB in North America before the recent renaissance of dye transfer printing. Therefore, there would be separations made and, depending on the condition of those seps, a "restoration" should be failry straightforward.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not know why I have not purchased The Godfather before as it is an awsume set of movies. But as soon as they come out on Blu-ray I am so all over the Godfather trilogy! :emoji_thumbsup: I also hope that they include a lossless track along with a original mono track as well.
:emoji_thumbsup:
And with Spielberg involved I believe that we might see a DTS-HD MA track on the Godfather Trilogy.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Stephen_J_H said:
Of all the films, I would suspect that GII is in the best shape. This is because GII was one of the last films to be printed in Technicolor IB in North America before the recent renaissance of dye transfer printing. Therefore, there would be separations made and, depending on the condition of those seps, a "restoration" should be failry straightforward.
Yes there are probably some good prints floating around, but I doubt that the ON was in that great a shape, considering the condition of the negative for Jaws and Star Wars. I believe they were shot on the same stock.
And having a Technicolor print made doesn't mean that separations were made. Separations are not needed to make a Technicolor dye transfer print.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Stephen_J_H said:
How so, Doug? I always thought that seps would have to be made to make printing matrices.
I believe, if I understand the couple of books I've read about Technicolor, that the red, blue and green elements are separated by use of colored filters used on the internegative in the printing/dye process. B&W separations could be made for protection, but they are superfluous to the actual making of dye transfer prints from an Eastman color negative.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks