What's new

Goblet of Fire lenticular cover (Harry Potter) (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
Target supposedly has this, but has anyone found it? What's it look like?

PatH

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
It alternates between a close-up shot of Harry with scratched, bloodied face and a medium shot of Harry sprawled out in the dragon pit, wand lifted at arm's length toward a dragon in the background heading menacingly toward our hero.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
david were did you get that from?

did you see it there?

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I got my copy at Best Buy opening day, and did not see any of the lenticular covers. There were, however, a boatload of the standard covers (sp ed 2 disc, single disc, WS and edited).

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
From what I've heard, the lenticular covers went really fast. There might not be any more at this point. My wife went early Tuesday (between 10 & 11) and she said there were only a few left. Or mayby they only had a few to begin with. That's probably why you can't track one down.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I got one from Futureshop too. Paid $30 CDN, so it is overpriced compared to competitors who don't have the neat cover. The regular 2 disc version is also $30, when it could be had at A&B Sound for $25 - a steal if you don't care about the cover.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
I got my copy on opening day around lunchtime, with the lenticular cover, at Best Buy in Burbank, CA. They had lots of them. I had a little chuckle (of pride) as a woman slipped the DVD case out of the lenticular cover to verify that it was the widescreen version. Thankfully, there is no 2-disc pan&scan of this DVD.

Target also had them (for two bucks more), but I didn't see any sort of "exclusive" label on them. Maybe they have a different version of it?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I'm surprised, too, about David's experience at BestBuy. Target is definitely advertising this as an exclusive.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
As others mentioned, Future Shop and BB in Canada had it, and they are owned by Best Buy (U.S.), so you'd expect U.S. BB would have it...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Well, if the lenticular cover is only on the cardboard slipcase, then that's disappointing. I was hoping it would be on the dvd case like the old Special edition of Halloween. Glad I didn't run all over looking for it and just settled on the regular foil slip case.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Somehow, I don't think Futureshlop will pricematch the lenticular cover version with the non-special-cover version at A&B. At least, the lady at Futureshop mentioned that they are different (Damn!). Oh well, it's only 5 bucks - that's like 0.50 Euros right? :)

David M.

Agent
Future Shop wouldn't price match. I was paying at the cashier when another employee came up with the Best Buy flyer. The cashier said she tried to price match for another customer but the lenticular DVD has a different UPC from what I heard them say. My DVD has a UPC sticker over top the original UPC.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Oops!

I assumed that all the slipcovers for this 2-disc DVD had the lenticular face. My mistake...sorry for confusing you guys. I saw it (lenticular) at Target first, passed on the price, then bought it at Best Buy later that day, not even looking at the cover. I guess it must be a Target exclusive, but I honestly don't care- those things are really gimmicky anyway- they always end up in a box in the garage, or in the trash.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
I picked it up at Target around Noon on release day, and they didn't appear to have a great deal of the lenticular cover left. The strange thing was that they had two displays for the movie: The display at the front of the store near the registers had all four versions (both single disc versions, and the 2-disc with and without the lenticular cover), while the display in the DVD section of the store did not have any lenticular covers.

As a bit of an aside, can somebody explain the marketing reasoning or any other reasoning behind the slip covers found on some DVD releases? I'm not talking about deluxe packaging or other things of that nature. More recently, I've noticed some DVD releases that feature a slip cover that has EXACTLY the same information and graphics found on the actual front and back cover of the DVD case. It seems completely superfluous. I've noticed this on some CD releases as well, particularly from Warner's various labels. I don't mind it at all, but it seems an unneeded additional cost for the manufacturing that may be passed on to the consumer. I've also noticed that some releases only feature this slip cover for a limited time. At Best Buy recently, I've seen the same movie with and without the slipcover. My best guess would be that this simply gives the studios a way to give the illusion that the DVD is more a "special edition" than it actually is.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I went to Target at about noon on the release date, and there were 2 limited cover copies left. I grabbed one, and as I was about to head to the checkout, a girl that worked in Electronics had a box in a shopping basket that was filled with limited cover copies. She was tagging them for sale. Thankfully, I got a copy without a sales tag messing up the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks