What's new

Glee - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
1. Kurt and Blaine were already drifting apart once Kurt moved to NYC - and then Blaine confessed to a one-night stand with someone he met online.
2. Finn washed out of the army quickly, but didn't tell Rachel for several months. Rachel's been getting closer to a new guy at NYADA.
3. Schuster has been chosen to work on a government initiative to improve arts education in schools. He wanted Emma to join him in DC but she has opted to stay at her job.
4. Finn recruited Ryder into the Glee Club - the actor who plays him was the winner of last season's "Glee Project" competition.
5. Finn called Santana to pinch-hit in the musical, after it was decided that Unique playing a female role would be inappropriate.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thank you David.
Really fills in the gaps. Now I can enjoy the Holiday episodes I've been reading bits and pieces about and truly enjoy them.
Hard to believe Blaine had an affair, that one caught me by surprise.
Too bad Unique was dropped from the Grease show. He can out sing and reach higher notes than many of the female Glee regulars.
Oddly, I'm not enjoying the Sue character much any more. Previously she was written as mean and nasty, but it had a more fun style to it. Now she just comes off as a really rotten person, not pleasant at all when she's on screen like it used to be.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Unique's parents were instrumental in his/her getting taken out of Grease. They do not approve of his identifying as female 100% of the time especially when it endangers his life at school.

Blaine has been devastated about his break up with Kurt. Kurt has taken a long time to work through his emotions about the one night stand, but he has finally forgiven.Blaine and they are now at least friends.

Some other major items you might have missed. New Directions lost at Sectionals, and that gave Sue impetus to take over the choir room and toss the glee club out. With no competitions to practice for, the club is rather in a holding pattern at the moment.

Sue is not the only witch-in-residence at Glee. Kate Hudson's teacher character at NYADA and new cheerleader Kitty are all sardonic shrews who not only put their feelings first but consider no one else's feelings at any time. In fact, Sue is the least venal of the three.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Apparently all the Gleeks have left the building. I didn't care much for last week's episode, but the Valentine's Day/ Wedding show was one surprise after another. Not sure I like where they're going with Rachel, but the show was a nice mix of storyline and songs, and it was great to see 'Glee Project' participant Ali making it into an episode. I hope they keep her around or bring her back as a regular next year. Also glad the TIna-Blaine story was wrapped up. Quinn and Santana? First time I've wished this series was on HBO or Showtime.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No, I'm still hanging around Glee though many times this season I've wondered why with one terrible storyline after another and failed after failed attempt to get me to care about any of the new recruits into the choir room.
I cringed when the Rachel reveal was shown knowing the soap operaish nonsense we're going to be subjected to in episodes ahead. The wrap-up of the Tina-Blaine story was also particularly feeble after spending so much time on it in past weeks.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Eh episode. I thought some things were kind of hokey and wrong (the hookup with Quinn/Santana seemed more out of fan fiction then reality).. but I've really back burnered this show. If the preview coming up, though is correct.. And we have a Rachel pregnancy scare then Boo. Big boo. I thought they had prior said she was on the pill (at the insistence of her dads, when they were trying to scare finn off) and more then that, she had a friend get pregnant and give up a kid and she can't figure out to use condoms? She dropped her script for the pill? WTH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of my biggest complaints with the show is its lack of continuity/sensibility with what has gone before. It drives me up the wall.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I liked Ali a lot on The Glee Project, but when she came on with the patented Glee "mean girl" persona, the same voice that speaks for Sue, Kitty, Santana, and the dance teacher at NYADA, I was instantly turned off. I also thought she looked too old for a high schooler. Of course, she was softened personality-wise by the end of the episode, but I still didn't think they made a convincing pair of high schoolers.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
MattH. said:
I liked Ali a lot on The Glee Project, I also thought she looked too old for a high schooler. Of course, she was softened personality-wise by the end of the episode, but I still didn't think they made a convincing pair of high schoolers.
No, but neither did Stockard Channing in 'Grease,' Luke Perry on '90210,' etc. When the rest of the show is firing on all cylinders, those issues are not as noticeable. When there are other problems they become magnified. Given the meteoric rise of the series to iconic status in its first season, I really thought 'Glee' would be one of those shows that burned out just as quickly and be gone after three seasons. Now that a fifth is already guaranteed as an unfocused fourth season continues to play out, I wonder if they're now doing too much damage to the brand. But then there have been a lot of fans who think everything from season 2 on has been disappointing. For me, I still get a few laughs and at least one great musical moment out of each episode, so that keeps me coming back.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by DaveHof
No, but neither did Stockard Channing in 'Grease,' Luke Perry on '90210,' etc. When the rest of the show is firing on all cylinders, those issues are not as noticeable. When there are other problems they become magnified.
I guess I didn't say exactly what I meant. On The Glee Project ,Ali looked no different age-wise from any of the other people she was competing against. When she showed up on Glee this week, she seemed to have aged appreciably from the last time I saw her, and she had a hardened, most mature look about her. Maybe it was putting her in proximity to Kevin Hale (not a teenager either), but the pairing didn't do her any favors.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
And who will turn Bi next week? The writing was pretty terrible with every Sweeps cliche in the book used.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I guess goodbye to Sue Sylvester, I'm not sure how they would re-insert her now.. but that has to be one of the most ham-handed ridiculous episodes in a while. I thought there were directions they could go with this, but I didn't get the point at all.. if it had been a school shooter, it might have been a chance to address a lot of issues; if it was a starter pistol (which is what I thought it might be when Sue owned up for it) a chance to talk about panic..
But when it turned out Sue was storing a real gun and covered up multiple shots fired, it turned into a ridiculous moment that didn't really hit the heart of any issue and as a result seemed pretty crass (IMHO).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I've missed the past two months of shows and figured by the lack of conversation in this thread I hadn't missed much. I had heard about the topic of this week's show and was curious about what entailed. I may rent the season when it goes to DVD, but for as hooked as I was in the beginning, I'm just finding it hard to get back into it at this point.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
mattCR said:
I guess goodbye to Sue Sylvester, I'm not sure how they would re-insert her now.. but that has to be one of the most ham-handed ridiculous episodes in a while. I thought there were directions they could go with this, but I didn't get the point at all.. if it had been a school shooter, it might have been a chance to address a lot of issues; if it was a starter pistol (which is what I thought it might be when Sue owned up for it) a chance to talk about panic..
But when it turned out Sue was storing a real gun and covered up multiple shots fired, it turned into a ridiculous moment that didn't really hit the heart of any issue and as a result seemed pretty crass (IMHO).
Actually, Sue was not 'storing a real gun'. That was her fictional story to the principal. The gun wasn't hers, it was Becky's.But yes, Sue did cover up the facts of the shooting. She was trying to protect Becky and Becky's mistake. That was noble, but wrong.

David

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No, Becky mentions that it was her father's gun that she brought to school.

For the fifteen minutes or so that the threat is palpable, the show was gripping, and I honestly didn't know what might happen. Sam desperately trying to get to Brittany and being held forceably back by Shu and Bieste (all the while that metronome click, click, clicks away) and Brittany cowering in the bathroom in fear of her life were exceptionally well done.

But the revelation of what was really happening, and Sue's covering for Becky was so wrong and so badly handled that it negated the power of the storytelling. So, Sue sacrifices her career leaving Becky there with her guilt over what happened? What kind of responsible adult behavior is that? Becky needs help to get through her anxiety over leaving school AND on top of that needs counseling about the gun situation, and Sue covering for her doesn't solve either of those problems plus doesn't teach Becky ANYTHING about the consequences of one's actions.

The rest of the episode (Brittany's prediction of global doom, the Lord Tubbington stuff, Ryder's curiosity over his secret admirer, Bieste's declaration of love for Will) is as inane and uninteresting as most of the season has been.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok, then I really misread the whole way that played out; I didn't take it as though she brought in the gun. If that's the case, it's even worse. Becky is a special needs child in a household that keeps a loaded weapon out in the open for her to get hold of? That is actually a really serious problem, and if the show basically encouraged a cover up where Becky doesn't get at home help and the whole thing is closed off, I feel a lot worse about this storyline than I did before.The rest of the episode, as you noted goes nowhere and seems to be playing with "we're wacky and completely unreal" which is both not entertaining and at times completely insulting.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I have not watched in weeks, no, check that, months. But just from what I've read here, dream episode, anyone?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Also my biggest problem with the show. It's fun to watch and I enjoy the musical numbers, but it seems like the producers/writers/etc. try different story lines, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but then they just drop them. No explanation, they just disappear.

Glad it has been renewed, but not real high on my "must watch" list any longer.
Matt Hough said:
One of my biggest complaints with the show is its lack of continuity/sensibility with what has gone before. It drives me up the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks