1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gladiator in HDTV on ABC

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, May 4, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone catch this again on ABC last night? I thought it looked much better than my Gladiator DVD, there seemed to be just a little bit less film grain (from when I saw it on the big screen a few years ago). And, it was in OAR! Kudos for whoever got ABC to show it in OAR, and not simply crop it to fit into a 16x9 space.

I hated the edits done to the arene battle scenes, though. Totally watered down the action.

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Screenwriter

I caught it the last time ABC showed it in HD. I liked the picture quite a bit but simply can not sit through the commercials every 10 minutes. Gotta get Showtime or HBO HD sometime, but just can't justify the cost to the wife at the moment. "But we have most of them on DVD already!" I knew buying all of those DVDs would come back to bite me in the butt![​IMG]

3. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    I watched small parts of it and would agree (from what little I saw) it did look better than the DVD. However, since it was on at the same time as Spiderman which was showing on HBO HD I decided to go with the no commercial movie.

-Keith

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I caught bits and pieces, definitely looked better than the dvd. Too bad the edits were choppily done and for WUSA in DC it was only DD2.0 (and pretty crummy at that)

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Screenwriter

Matt: I think you mean WJLA-7, WUSA-9 is CBS. If you're using OTA I suggest trying to pull in WMAR-2 from Baltimore for surround sound. Using a RS amp (1171), I get a solid signal here in Arlington. In fact, it's better than WJLA's most of the time. I recorded the whole thing, and the DD5.1 was kicking some serious ass. "On my command, unleash hell" indeed. Too bad it wasn't EX and had some very bad edits. Now I'm really excited to see what they do with Toy Story. Hopefully they won't have to edit anything for time, and it will be complete.

6. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jesse: yeah, I meant WJLA-7. Unfortunately I'm currently in an area where OTA isn't an option (even for analog really), so I have comcast digital cable w/HDTV (which I'm discontinuing due to outages, dropouts, and ridiculous pricing)

7. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

What was the audio like? The nice thing about the DVD is that is 6.1 DTS ES.

8. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Screenwriter

It's DD5.1, and it sounds exactly (to me) like the DD5.1 track from the DVD.