What's new

Gladiator: Extended Edition (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I would agree with that statement, now a days there is no excuse for this to happen. And thats why I advised my room mate to get a refund on his Gladiator Extended Edition not because the lack of a DTS track.

For myself it was not worth it since I am happy with the version I allready have and it is doubtfull that the video quality is any better on the new release.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I had some non-audiophile friends over for a film night last night, and I decided to give them an A/B comparison of the Battle of Carthage scene (using both DD tracks...no DTS) and see if they could spot any differences. They BOTH were immediately rather startled by the distortion and clarity drop on the EE. So I would say it's not subtle.

I'd also be interested in the studio's response if anyone can contact them. The extras are superb, but as others have mentioned, this sucker was expensive...

AlexBC

Second Unit

Steve, I'm a DTS fan as well and don't get me wrong here, I've heard a great deal of excelent DD tracks. But I've also heard The Patriot, Terminator 3, Aliens and Black Hawk Down in DTS and they all sounded much better.

Again, I'm not saying that DD tracks can't be great indeed, but I don't think the examples you mentioned (or any at all) can prove the point that a DTS track wouldn't be worth it. And I know it wouldn't correct the glitches to the DD track as they're supposed to be master related (which is by biggest concern with this release, since I haven't heard it yet).

As for the 3 matrix films, I wasn't a great fan of their soundmixes.:frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Curious. Who says they are master related? If the DD track on the original release had no distortion in these scenes then the original recordings, (stems) are fine. IMHO, whoever mixed the new DD track for this dod it too hot in those instances, thus distortion. And I still stand by my opinion that they should have been redone til' there WAS no distortion.

:)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

You again....;) Yeah you can feel smug about the last thread but realize that at the time you made your statements, neither you nor anyone save two people in that thread had actually heard it for themselves.......weak, but I'll stand by that excuse.....plus you were drunk at the time....& who wasn't?:D

Them (Universal's audio engineers) not having heard the distortion to begin with is pretty bad, I mean games go through a fairly rigorous testing regime before release, why not DVD's as well? Get some outside "testers" to go over the damn things before final press....is that so hard?
Universal has had quite a few audio mastering problems in recent memory, DUEL being one of the more memorable ones, leaving out the final "dino" sound effect in the remix that Speilberg actually brings up rather clearly in the documentary....that's pretty lazy. Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas - Jaws etc. etc. Yes they have had a few problems in recent years, audio wise, and I think someone need to get called into the office.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, me again! ;)

Hey Kev! Unfortunately, I'm disappointed. I REALLY wanted to buy this, but after hearing it (and my hair stood on end as I thought it might), I'm still debating. I'd love the longer cut but that's alot of dough since I would probably watch the doc. like, once.

I wonder if the R2 will have better audio with no distortion?

:)

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Don't know about sound quality –or lack thereof– on the R2 release, but I certainly like their packaging much more than R1's.

You can go here for a better look at it.

Alas, the way I understand it, R2 will not be offering both the theatrical and the extended cut, but only the latter.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Likewise, DVD.IGN posted a similar review, and gave it high marks across the board, with the film, video and audio scoring 9/10, while the extras a 10/10. The set as a whole was a 9/10. While I normally dont always agree with there reviews, they seemd pretty ecstatic about this one.

AlexBC

Second Unit

Well, just about every region except for R1.

R2 Japan (NTSC), R2 Europe (PAL), R3 Southeast Asia (NTSC), R4 Australia (PAL), R4 Brazil + South America (NTSC).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha. Yep. Whoever made this new one... eeek

I might snag the R2. My pj plays PAL native so I'll have over 100 extra lines of res. as well....

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave, is it a bit ironic that someone who so values a good soundtrack would accept 4% speedup? ;)

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
The R2 - whilst I noticed no distortion during any of the battle sequences, there is one moment of distortion - as noted on page one of this thread, during the scene when Maximus is chained to the wall, on the same line as noted above on the R1 - "Then let him kill Commodus!" .

So, now you know. :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Carlo, what's up bud!

Yep, I agree. But I recently got The LOTR extended editions on R2 which have been pitch adjusted and remarkably well IMHO. Also the PQ on them is noticeably better than the R1's, especially "Fellowship". And if you have the chance to see PAL at 576P, 50 hz. natively, it's pretty amazing compared to NTSC. No 3/2 pulldown, Over 100 lines more. res.
So yeah, it's always a tossup, PAL- 4% speedup but better potential PQ vs. NTSC correct speed but less res. and 3/2 artifacts.

:) Cheers! D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks