What's new

Gladiator: 3-Disc Extended Edition announced for 6/7/05 ! (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I plan on being happy with the disc the way it gets released (unless it is full-frame, black and white with a mono audio track only.):) . Commentary track or not. DTS track or not.

Lack of extras (and audio tracks) shouldn't be a problem when we all go and buy this thing again on HD-DVD or Blue-Ray or whatever they call it. :D

Personally, I am glad that Charlie de Lauzirika is working on it.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There is no such thing as DTS mastering.All mastering happens in a non compressed format,and then they decide how to encode the final product, either DD or DTS,same goes for mixing. No DTS or DD mix,just encoding.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS TURNING INTO A DOLBY DIGITAL VS DTS THREAD!!!

THEIR HAVE BEEN PLENTY OF THOSE. DO A SEARCH, AND I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND THAT ANY POINTS YOU WOULD THINK TO BRING UP ABOUT THE SUBJECT HAVE BEEN DEBATED TO DEATH!!!

Or if you want a quick summary, go to this post I made a while back. I don't think much, if anything, has changed since then.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Opi, if you own three versions of Black Hawk Down -- which are all identicle cuts of the film, I believe -- then what's so wrong with owning two copies of Gladiator? This mentality doesn't hold up, logically. You are just upset that the DVD isn't being manufactured the way you want it and you know what... that's too bad. It's not your decision. If you are going to let yourself be discouraged because the specs are 99% perfect instead of the imposssible 105% percent, then the problem lies with your own inability to ever be satisfied.

Guys, I've really heard enough about this DTS "debate". It is a non-issue, a concern for the elitist and the glass-half-empty crowd. How many more times will you guys make the same point? You've said what you wanted to say ("boohoo, no DTS"), and now, as far as I'm concerned, you are done. Please don't post any more repetitive comments about non-issues -- especially un-confirmed non-issues. This is becoming ludicrous.

I started this thread out of enthusiasm for the Extended Version of Gladiator -- nowhere in the thread title does it say "post DTS whines here". Start another thread for that. This is for news -- and your repetitive DTS comments were never news to me.

Sorry if I'm talking like a major jerk; I've run dry on patience.

Thank you.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I agree. This thread should be about the DVD itself, i.e., the new supplemental material and the extended cut of the film. Enough people care about that and not the DTS issue. I think this thread should be renamed or designated for the extended cut alone, and a thread be created for those who want to argue the DTS (or lack thereof) issue with this DVD or any other DVDs. In fact, this entire thread has been more about DTS than the extended cut or newly produced supplements. Wasn't that the reason why this new set is being created and released?

Quite frankly, the DTS issue has gone on far too long, and become the battleground on many threads and topics when most just want to discuss the film, the DVD, and its supplemental material.

As was mentioned, there are plenty of threads available, both here and on other sites, that you can argue all you want about DTS. Leave this thread alone for us who care about the time and effort being put forth with this release.

Also, I do not own three editions, or even two editions of one film unless it was a different cut of the film. To own three of BHD is your own business (and money) but it seems like there are a select few or you can never please, and they seem to be ruining it for the rest of us by believing that DTS is the major selling point of a DVD. I could realistically ask 10 non-HTF people what they like most about DVDs or what is the major selling point, and I bet 9/10 would not even mention DTS itself. Sound may be something mentioned, but I bet DTS itself would never come up.

As I was saying, once official specs are released, I hope the discussion can go back to the set itself, rather than how "kick ass that DTS track sounded and damn everything else about the DVD set."

Not to discuss DTS again, but I myself rarely find any different between the two mixes on any film. Perhaps in a few instances, when the film is a constant assault on the ears (and a headache too) then maybe there is some more significant bass and it is louder in several parts, but besides that if you think DTS is the major selling point of the DVD, than it does mean more to you than the film because you care more how it sounds than just about all else. I have said everyone's systems and ears are different, so everyone may hear something better than others.

I think is a reason DTS is not the standard. It wastes so much space on a DVD and many still do not have full fledged systems so that they can distinguish between the differences. Most cannot commit the time to sit down and watch a film several times and then flip through different audio tracks just to hear an action scene rock the room for a few seconds with its bass with DTS on. I don't find myself sitting there, and then standing up and cheering everytime the subwoofer shakes the room with a large explosion. A DVD sounds fine to me no matter how I listen to it, because I am there for the film itself, not the audio. Although I appreciate the audio being the best it can be, if DTS is gone so that I can get a better dollar value with the DVD because supplemental material was included, than to me its money well spent.

I for one will not own several versions of a film because it has the audio I want on one set, and the supplements to accompany it on another.

We all can't be satisfied, because we all have different tastes.

I still believe that the issue of this thread should remain the DVD itself, and just stick to the supplements and newly created material. I think fans will be very pleased with what comes out, and those who truly appreciate the film and the new material will not miss DTS at all, regardless of them knowing it was not included to begin with. There are many fans of this film, and a new extended cut and material will please many I am sure.

Charlie I am sure has done some fantastic work with this set, and should be commended for his efforts, along with his entire team. DVD would not be where it is today without him and others in his field, and it is because of his work that director's like Ridley Scott take the time to provide us with such insight into there films. I doubt we would have seen such fantastic releases from any other producer.

I think most of us have little idea how great this set truly will be. The offical specs have yet to be announced, but when they are some of us are going to very excited by what may be on there. Material continues to get better with each new milestone in the format, and I think this title will not let us down.

With that said...........unleash hell

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

Yes!! I all of a sudden became very interested in this when I heard it was going to include two full discs of his work. I think there are far fewer "No DTS = no sale" then there are "Charlie de Lauzirika = SALE" people.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

That may well be true, but the fact remains that neither "Dolby Digital" nor "DTS" are MIXING formats. Movies are mixed in uncompressed digital sound, and then those uncompressed tracks are run through Dolby Digital or DTS encoders (and also SDDS encoders if we're talking about a theatrical release). I supposed some additional tweaking may be done to customize a mix to DTS-ES or Dolby Digital-EX, and maybe the mixes are EQed in order to customize them to the particular compression schemes of Dolby Digital or DTS, but films still are not "mixed" in either format.

There also might be some differences in EQ during the encoding stage, and the tracks may be encoded at different levels, but movies are not "mixed" in either of those formats. They are encoding/delivery formats, not mixing formats.

Vincent

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Yes, I think we've established that by now. What I was responding to, however, was the following (rather garbled) statement: "No DTS or DD mix,just encoding." I took this to mean, in part, that DD and DTS are always derived from an identical mix. I haven't claimed, nor do I think, that mixing is done in DD or DTS; mixes, however, can be done for DD or DTS. And the DTS company, especially in the early days when they created home video DTS tracks in-house, has been accused on a number of occasions of doing the latter.

DJ

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
SDDS? Pah! I want them to release the DVD with uncompressed 24-bit studio masters!

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to this one. A re-cut from Sir Ridley is always something to celebrate, and it'll no doubt have a top-notch audio track to go with it. DTS kicks ass, no quibbles there, but a remixed Dubly Digital :) track will do me just fine. And with an extras package being put together by Mr. De Lauzirika that will complement - rather than replace - the original DVD, how can we lose out? Keep up the good work Charlie. :emoji_thumbsup:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi ya

Has the original DVD been deleted here in the UK as I am not able to find it in stores.

Which online e-tailer should O use ?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

And if I had...? :confused: You're still not offering an explanation of what the statement meant. Anyway, I think it's clear at this point that there's some type of language/typing barrier hindering the discussion, so instead of trying to pick apart your words, I'll step aside.

DJ

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I for one am completely ecstatic and pleased that Charlie is working on an Extended Edition 3-Disc set for one of my all time most favorite and cherished films. I will also have my own 5-Disc set via the original 2-Disc Signature Selection and this upcoming release of the film.
Charlie has released some of the best if not greatest DVD's out there of which a great many of them are in my collection. Whenever I see that Charlie is producing the DVD of a film I greatly enjoy, I know it's an immediate purchase for me. His outstanding and comprehensive work on such titles as Alien, Aliens, Black Hawk Down, Legend, Top Gun, Spider-Man 2, Thelma & Louise and many other works of his means it has the highest seal of quality for it. Had I not purchased both Alien and Aliens Collector's Editions, the only two films of the Alien franchise I prefer by the way, I would not have known as much as I know now were it not for Charlie. He puts every effort he can to make the extras inviting and welcoming to the viewer while having extensive facts and tidbits about a particular subject matter related to the film. I for one enjoy this immensely and it has significantly risen my appreciation for the cast and crew of the films I love and care for.
So Charlie, any DVD release from you for a film I most certainly admire is an immediate buy from me. Take care and keep up the excellent work.
:D

CraigL

Screenwriter
When did Charlie confirm he was working on it?? I don't see his response to me as a confirmation.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Charlie's response seemed more like a hint, but why would anyone think he isn't working on this?

It's possible that he isn't. But whenever I think of Ridley Scott on DVD, I just automatically assume Charlie's involved. :D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Because it was quiet self explanatory,as it is evident by Vincent P.'s response. He got it,despite the "obvious language barrier".;)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much, Charlie, for producing this set. Know that your work does not go unappreciated by (most of us) fans. I look forward to the extended cut and new documentary with great interest. You've got my $30-40 on opening Tuesday.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks