What's new

Give me three good reasons to buy a Gamecube. (1 Viewer)

BrianMAZ

Auditioning
The level design of Metroid is unbelievably good. The way in which you gain new abilities and weapons is paced very well. This might be the most atmospheric, immersive game I've ever played. The boss fights are actual great fights that you will remember. I also believe that you can strafe, but I haven't played it in awhile. I'm positive you can do quick dashes left and right which serves the dodging purpose of strafing. In any case Prime is not a FPS, it's an adventure game. If you want more in depth reasons why this game is so good read cube.ign.com or videogames.com reviews. I think they both gave it a 9.8. I've played MGS2 and both GTA games to death and love all of them, and have spent significant time with Halo as well, and I can say that Metroid is definitely superior to all. And I'm not a hardcore Nintendo advocater in any way. The only reason I bought it was to play the Resident Evil rerelease. I actually waited in line the first day to get PS2. And, heck, I've never even played any of the prior Metroid games.

StevenK

Second Unit
I thought Metroid was pretty good, but I honestly don't see how it can compare to Halo. As for GTA, it's a different beast...but I certainly enjoyed it a whole lot more than either Metroid or Halo.

BTW, I got the gamecube for Mario Kart and it's worth it!

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Now I definantly think MP is better than Halo. I'll never understand the facination with that game, it average compared to PC FPSs, maybe I've just been spoiled by them. Get the cube, get RE4, get MP, skip Mario, get Zelda, and definantly, definantly, definantly get Mario Kart. Your best friends will become your worst enemies in mere minutes and you will creat new cuss words at the drop of a hat. Truly one of the all time great multiplayer games. Like I said earlier, Viewtiful Joe is a good game if you have a mascochistic streak in you also. You may end up with a controller shaped hole in your TV though so be forewarned.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

Do you even want a GameCube? If it doesn't appeal to you, why bother asking us to convince you that you should buy one?

I'll give you some advice. Don't buy a GameCube. You won't like it. It's a crappy system with nothing but a bunch of kiddie games and no online support. If you end up buying one, you'll also need to get a GBA to go with it, which would suck. Also, the only good games on it are Metroid Prime and Zelda: The Wind Waker, but since you don't like those, you probably won't like anything else.

Does that work for you?

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

Yes... I want a Gamecube, but I want to make sure that it will be a worthwhile investment and something I will actually use.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the Gamecube purchase is put on hold, unless Nintendo drops the price by E3 or sooner.

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I would doubt they will drop the price again on the GC since it is already the same price as the gameboy sp. But one awsome reason I think to get a gamecube is the fact that the Gamecube is the only system with an officially licensed wireless controller that kicks butt. 2 batteries last over 100 hrs. of gaming and it's made by nintendo and only about $30. I bought the logitec $60 wireless controller for ps2 and it isn't nearly as comfortable in my hand. It takes 4 batteries and only last half that of GC, so I returned it. But I love my gamecube wavebird wireless controllers. May seem like a dumb reason but it's an awsome conveniance factor I think. (plus the wires on the controllers for GC are a little short)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator

See I look at it in a different light. They might seem like just stupid kiddie games but those kiddie games on Gamecube are more fun than half the "mature" games on any other system. Mario Kart is one of the most fun multiplayer games out there...period. Kiddie games seem dumb but I keep in mind the fact that many games on the original nintendo or super nintendo are absolute classics and are fun even today to play with the outdated graphics. Nintendo puts great quality into all their games, they may seem kiddie but who cares. It's kind of like movies. How many movies that are total classics and win a ton of academy awards and sell the most tickets are rated R? Most of the best films of all time are PG-13 or lower. The same is with nintendo. There is no blood and gore, only great quality fun to play games. zelda, metroid prime, mario kart, mario party, mario sunshine, MGS twin snakes, RE 4, RE 1 remake, RE zero, starfox, harvest moon, NEED I GO ON!!!!!! Oh and did I mention it has better graphics than PS2?

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
See, now I think the Gamecube has cleaner graphics than the PS2 (maybe) but most of the big PS2 games have much better graphics. There are a lot of jaggies and some slowdown occasionally, but find me a Gamecube game that looks half as cool as FFX, Gran Turismo 3 or 4 and others that are AAA games fot that system. About the only Gamecube game I ever though had stellar graphics was Metroid Prime. The Gamecube suffers from the blurry, textureless games like the N64 did. It's all about art design and most big Nintendo games don't have anything but ramped up N64 graphics.

As for nintendo putting quality into all their games, they used to but the don't anymore. It's a system filled with stale franchises. I think they are up to Mario Party 5. The RE games have all been out on other systems, same with MGS:TS. Zelda is great, but almost the same as the N64 Zelda games and Mario Sunshine was 4 steps back instead of 1 step foward for that franchise.

It's pretty much all about Metroid and Mario Kart, and to me those aren't worth buying a system for at this stage in the life of the console if you are unsure about buying one to begin with. That's about $180 just to play 2 great games and some good rehashes. Buying a Nintendo system is an act of faith and belief that somehow the company will get it right this time and get back on track. I bought my Cube a year ago and just like the N64 I bought before it, it got no playtime after I had played it for a month or 2. Then Mario Kart came out and we were back onto the cube hard, but that's only 1 game (which I actually prefer on the N64 because the battle mode is much stronger) I went back to my PS1 when I had a N64, and I sold my Cube and bought an Xbox this time around.

I'l be buying the new Nintendo system when it comes out also, but if they don't get their act together with that one, it may be the last one I ever buy from them. Hell, it may be the last one they ever make if they keep screwing up like they have been. No online plan, no 3rd party support (which lessens even more drastically during the life of the console) and smaller, more costly media for the games with the cartridge and GD disc formats which means either less content or disc swapping, Ugh. Not to mention that is another thing 3rd part developers hate because the more expensive media is less cost effective and cuts into their bottom line.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mario Party 5 is still fun, regardless of the number. MGS:TS is basically the same game, but it does look gorgeous and is extremely fun. Resident Evil (remake) and RE0 are both great and look amazing. Zelda: TWW is NOTHING like the N64 games and probably one of the best games ever for an original look and style. Mario Sunshine, while a big departure from the series, was still good and worth buying, especially at the lowered price.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
The only main difference btw N64 Zelda games and TWW is the cel shaded graphic style (for better or worse)and the addition of the boat exploration, which was one of the most tedious things I've ever had to do in a game. I can't diagree with you about Mario Sunshine more though. I thought it was a horrible departure not worth buying at any price. But to each his own I guess:) .

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Gamecube has blurry, N64 like textures? What size screen are you looking at? 80" or so on my projector, the gamecube games look hands down better, clearer, and sharper. Especially the 480p ones. And if you are familiar with the specs/performance, you will find that GC falls right inbetween Xbox and PS2.

PS2 games are very hit and miss. Vice City looked excellent, but I won't say the same for others. Did you ever notice the streaks & blurry motion in a lot of PS2 games that otherwise look excellent (Devil May Cry comes to mind). That's the PS2's limitations at work (no hardware anti-aliasing, as I understand it).

The reason there are not a lot of good graphics in a style other than cell-shaded and kiddy-style is merely the less third-party support.

3rd parties develop games mostly only for PS2 because it has the largest userbase. Thus, stuff like FFX, GTA, etc are on PS2.
Enix, for example, said exactly that before their absorbtion by Square, flat out, that they would create games for whichever system had the most users.

And it's rare that a game requires more than one disc. Most games rarely use over the 1.8GB? that the GC disc uses.

Gamecube's discs are there to stop piracy. One of the guys I know who pirates everything & pays for nothing buys the occasional GC game - because he can't get them otherwise.

The GC discs have worked. At this stage in videogames lifecycle, it's rare that a game requires the whole DVD-ROM. If you pay attention, quite a few PS2 games came out on CDs!

You can argue against the GC on reasons like "not enough of my kind of games". But hardware-wise, it's well ahead of PS2 (although lagging behind the Xbox).

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Yes, the gamecube is more powerful than the PS2, but what I said was the most PS2 games have superior art direction and they make stunning games that are more visually appealing than most Gamecube games. Hardware power dooesn't always matter. Games like Myst, Syberia, even the 1st RE game have great art diection and graphics but it doesn't take much hardware to run at all. It's not always about what's under the hood.

And yes, Gamecube is less sharp to my eye than a lot of PS2 games. Maybe it's the bright juvinile colors, maybe it's the large round charachters, who knows.

And as for the blurring you see in certain games, especially Konami games, is intentional. It's a hardware filter they implement.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Okay then I won't tell all about my friends problems.

I like to get a cube cause I own the gameboy sp.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I love the games on Nintendo systems. I have more GC games then PS2 games, and I'll never own an XBox. The titles like Mario Sunshine, and LoZ:WW, Metriod. They rock. Plus it's got a port of DC games Sonic and Sonic 2 (No US DC release)and Skies of Arcadia. It's got Eternal Darkness (Best horror game ever, IMHO), and Tales of Symphonia, Mario Kart. Plus, I get very excited when I think about the stuff coming out: Paper Mario, Donkey Konga, Metroid Prime 2. I can't think of a reason Not to buy this console!

Rodrick

Second Unit
Everytime I go to my friends home, I love the gamecube. I also enjoyed all the times playing all the old classics on the cube.
The Discs look so cute and small. Smaller than any other gamesystem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks