1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Girls and Video Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob_Pierce, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

Besides, haven't the big hits - historically - been the ones that appealed to a broader audience? I remember reading, back in the day, how part of the success of Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, and Q*Bert was that they appealed to women just as much as men.

2. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Well-Known Member

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to read that article as I would probably snap. But that said this thread is more about politics than games. I'll let it ride but if it gets out of hand I'll have to shut it down.

4. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

5. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Well-Known Member

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

Sure, Bert, after you've insulted a broad swath of humanity. Please reread—and heed—Jay Mitchosky's post.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

While many games do feature women as near-perfect examples of what men would want (beautiful, sexy, tough, and things blow up when they run fast), I think that most games today feature male protagonists who are the masculine equivalents of Lara Croft. Sure, guys like to see guys who are badass, but that doesn't mean its an exception. Just because Jin from Tekken is (in my eyes) badass doesn't mean he's not sexy to a girl. The same should go for Lara Croft.

Just because female gamers fall into the minority, that doesn't mean we should cater specifically to their tastes. If a girl doesn't like what kinds of games are being made, then she can go out and change that (by starting a company and making games) or take up another hobby.

It all comes down to majority rules. If a game company made 2 games, one being aimed at girls and the other being aimed at boys, the one aimed at boys would sell better because more boys play games. The funding that went to the game for girls wouldn't be made back with profit and would be deemed a failure. That's why companies don't make games aimed specifically at girls.

And unless someone can point out an example of a game that is ultra-male chauvanist pig, I don't see any problem with the state of games as they are. Most of the BIG games out today with male protagonists are good for either sex (Rayman, Mario, Sonic) and the ones that are aimed more for boys are done as such because they are games that have things girls wouldn't be into (such as things blowing up or blood).

And finally, rather than complain, has anyone ever seen a female gamer who was upset with the state of videogames as they are suggest a solution that made business/common sense?

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Well-Known Member

Companies are not going to develop games geared toward women because they will not sell enough copies to make any profit.

9. Jason Seaver

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Well-Known Member

I don't think anything she said in that article was so bad, she certainly isn't comdemning video games whole scale as gender-biased. She even comes out and says DOAX is alright, so she certainly isn't throwing the baby away with the bathwater.

I think this whole arguement boils down to the same as for any market: once women start buying/playing more games, more developers will start modifying games for that audience. It's just like the movies: when Hollywood figured out that a GF could drag her beau in to see a chick flick as easily as he could drag her into see Die Hard X, suddenly you have "The Hours", "Ya-Ya Sisterhood", ... coming out all over. He (or she) that spends the gold makes the rules in a consumer culture.

I think she will see more games and developers that are taking women's interests to heart, and hence there will be more women players, rinse and repeat. Gotta remember that 15-20 yrs ago there were almost no women game players (compared to today.) It is a new phenomenon, gotta give the game producers time to catch up with modern culture.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

12. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Well-Known Member

I think it is clear that 'The Sims' is the perfect example of a game that appeals to women. Personally, I don't know any guy who has played for any longer than a few days (for novelty's sake). However, I do know from first hand that female gamers seem to love it. Similarly for other management games like 'Zoo Tycoon'. For the gaming women I know, these kinds of games seem to appeal to them and so there is obviously a market.
    The only part that shocks me personally is that so many seem to be OK with how women are objectified in games (or movies, etc.). Lara Croft is a great example. The game really wouldn't need her gravity-defying chest to be a good action game. I know it's targetted at the 12-99 male market, but that's simply no excuse for reinforcing a bad stereotype. Would anyone claim that DOA is a better game because of it's sexist nature?

13. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

14. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Well-Known Member

Jack, I am responding to the whole "get therapy" thing and just clarifying myself more.

To tell you the truth, I never read the article.

Calm down.

-Bert

15. JayV

JayV Well-Known Member

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Well-Known Member

17. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Well-Known Member

This thread probably should be locked from where I fear it will go.

Bert, you jumped into this thread to lash out at activists, homosexuals and quite a few other groups for what appears to be no good reason. Then you come out and say that you didn't even read the article. Please tell me what your opinion can offer here?

Mine was just a suggestion that you seem to have a good deal of rage towards people who don't share your opinion. If you don't think it's valid.. fair enough.

Glen

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Well-Known Member

a quote from PC world:

19. Jason Seaver

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

Bert, you have a private message waiting for you. Thank you.