What's new

Gilmore Girls Season 7 Thread (2 Viewers)

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I have been watching this show since the first season and it really feels different this year. The story lines are not as interesting and the dialogue seems weaker. I watched the first three seasons again on DVD and it only confirmed my feeling that the show is struggling. I will keep watching but Gilmore Girls is slipping down my list of favorite shows.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also feel the spark is gone, or not as bright as before, but it's been a overall gradual decline for the past 2-3 seasons, actually. On Tuesdays, it's still my 1st/2nd priority for Tuesday night viewing (along with Veronica Mars), but if there was a better option on other networks, I'd move GG down the viewing priority list.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It really feels like Rosenthal is trying to do too much. Every episode seems to be lurching some plot forward, where the Palladinos were really good at seemingly letting stuff play out with no particular direction, and then hitting you with something about two-thirds of the way through that made you reconsider everything.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Well I first began my Gilmore Girls journey this year. I hear an NPR interview with the Palladino's on Fresh Air with Teri Gross and I was extremely intrigued.

My husband and I netflixed the entire series and watched all of it just in time to catch season 7 on the new CW. We loved the show on dvd up until season 6. I new early on that Lorelei was messed up and just not somebody that belonged in a relationship with Luke. I always hated how she treated Luke from the beginning and I knew the writers were going in the direction of getting those two together.

After the end of S6, my husband and I pretty much lost all interest in Lorelei. She really screwed up big time and while I don't leave Luke completely blameless, I think Lorelei is more to blame. She hasn't made a wide decision since S2. She keeps going down the same path and it's no wonder she can't keep a man. She expects more out of them and doesn't offer the same in return. The fact that she is even entertaining the idea of being with Christopher blows my mind (although at this point I think the two deserve eachother) because he is so useless.

Personally I feel the reason Christopher is sending Gigi to Paris is because he can't hack it as a single dad. I think he is tired of dealing with it on his own and wants his life back the way he was before Gigi came along. He is being selfish and is pulling the same crap he did with Rory. He doesn't deserve to be a dad.

I am hoping that Rory doesn't go down the same path as her idiot mother. I'm hoping she realizes that she can be her own person and isn't destined to be Lorelei. I think Logan is good for her. I hope they pull together even stronger and that Rory can move passed her insecurities.

The whole storyline with Lane just doesn't work for me. The marriage, the honeymoon, the pregnancy.... it doesn't sit well. I think the writers screwed up big time on that one. I hate that there is varely if any interaction at all with Rory and Lane. I use to love the scenes with those two. Now it's just like...what's the point?

Kirk is still entertaining.

I love Luke and Arpil scenes. They have a great chemistry. I can't to see what develops with them. Can anyone tell me if I am smoking crack or if April's mom is the same actress that played Jess's dads girlfriend? I swear they both look like Sherilyn Fenn. Am I wrong?

Anyway, I still watch, but I am not as excited about the show at all this season.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

If it were ever possible to actually steal someone else's thoughts about something, you just did, Lucia. ;) I second every point you made, and it isn't looking good for Rory, either, the way she overreacted about Bobbie shows that she is headed down the same road as her mom. But, she's still young and could still turn out alright if she would just look at her mother and try to learn from her mistakes.

BTW a little trivia, I watched the horror film Slither last night and it's directed by James Gunn, brother of Sean Gunn aka Kirk.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
And James Gunn is also the wife of Jenna Fischer - Pam from The Office. Sorry, just watched that show. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I remember being disappointed that the spinoff series with Jess (where she'd be a recurring character) never got off the ground, because... well, Sherilyn Fenn!

And when she showed up as April's mom, first I said "wait -- April's mom is Jess' father's girlfriend?" and then I realized she was playing someone else. And I was happy.

Because... Sherilyn Fenn!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Go Bulldogs!"

Christopher is a lunkhead, especially at the the parents day function when he finally figures out that he's been an absentee father. Duh. And now he is on the brink of doing it again with Gigi, and Lorelai is all for it. Not very smart writing.

Luke and April are funny together, but that date with the swim coach screamed "crazy eyes" to me.

Sookie and Jackson's impending vegetable spat isn't that interesting.

Here's an article about how this season's writing has turned this show into a standard show of lead-and-follow exchanges instead of featuring the war of words and bantering, i.e. it's become more conventional than invigorating.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, Lorelai and Christopher, two peas in a self-destructive pod who are both just joy riding head-long into hell in a handbasket. Ya know, looking at how Luke is with April and looking at how Christopher is with Gigi and how Lorelai supports him in his bone-headed decision, i'm beginning to think that perhaps it's a good thing that Luke and Lorelai aren't together.

While I feel that Lorelai is a good mother, passing some of her neurosis onto Rory not withstanding, being with Christopher and supporting him doesn't say alot for her at the moment, while Luke is proving to be a pretty cool dad to April, Christopher just couldn't get a clue about parenting if it jumped up and bit him in the ass.

I hear you, Patrick about "crazy eyes", that woman was making me nervous lol.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

While I agree with you on all of that, this was the first episode that sounded halfway like Gilmore Girls to me -- particularly everything to do with the french restaurant and Christopher's response about who would wear a nametag in the middle of his chest.

Is it telling that possibly the best episode of the season so far is the one that didn't advance any of the "plots"?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This ep did flow like earlier eps it's true, and I loved the opening with Lorelai pretending that she got Emily's answering machine which both baffled and frustrated Emily lol.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Yeah, I was explaining to my roommate about Luke having a daughter and how that relationship didn't work out. I ended with "It makes no sense to me, because I have no idea why red-blooded man would ever leave Sherilyn Fenn."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm depressed after watching this episode. Was that the point? If so, they did a good job on me!

Gah!

The whole Marty thing was sort of heartbreaking, but Rory did slam the door on him, so I can't blame him for trying to keep the past a thing of the past so she can't poison his present relationship (even if the writers make Rory another "homewrecker" if they pair her back up with Marty if things go bad with Logan in England for her senior year).

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
What a miserable episode.

How can you send Lorelai Gilmore to Paris and not have anything fun happen?

I think that the Zach-Lane subplot is just about the only thing working on the show right now. I thought that "Don't worry about Brian" and the cutaway to Brian eating dinner with all of the Koreans was a riot.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Not only did this ep drag but it was also unbelievable from a character standpoint, I can't believe that Lorelai would get married without Rory there. If I were Rory, I would be pissed off beyond imagination at her for getting married without me there, something that Lorelai is obviously worried about, as well she should be.

I did like the sparkly thing they did with the Eiffel Tower, though, although it's actually probably really like that so the show gets no credit for it lol.

It looks like there might be a rumble between Luke and Chris next week.:emoji_thumbsup: I want to see Luke beat the ever lovin' piss out of Christopher, actually i'd like to see something akin to Hartigan beating Yellow Bastards head into the pavement in Sin City lol.

"I took away his weapon...both of em'."

:D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is, this is the first week where I really bought into Lorelei and Christopher being together; at times, I was willing to concede that they may, in fact, be the loves of each others' lives. So some kudos for that, I guess.

But, geez, I still really don't believe Lorelei is going to be okay with Christopher just dropping off his kid in another country for a couple months. It's just something she shouldn't be able to consider. And this off-hand off-screen marriage doesn't feel like something she would actually do; it feels like an artificial thing to generate further tension.

Also, the whole think with the Kims seemed off. Keiko Agena looks a lot closer to her actual age, and Emily Kuroda's accent suddenly seems a lot less prevalent.

Man, if I were the Palladinos, I'd be trying to take my show back by force.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
But to me the whole idea that they eloped just proves that this wedding is a red herring, it won't last.

If the wedding meant anything they would have planned for it and had it in Stars Hollow, as it stands nobody was there, not Rory, Suki, Jackson, Kirk, Taylor, Ms. Patty, Emily or Richard, there was nothing special about the entire event and for show that is heading towards something big for Lorelai in one way or another, this was a non-event.

Nope, the REAL wedding with THE real guy hasn't happened yet, if you get my meaning, this one just feels wrong in every sense of the word and I know that the show wouldn't end her search for her man this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks