What's new

Gigli to be pulled from cinemas! Could this be the shortest cinema to DVD window yet? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I figured special features were quite likely since a lot of them are made before the film hits theaters. There have been plenty of box-office flops that got nice SEs.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The man can really rip into a movie he doesn't like.
Perhaps he's realised (too late) that the movies he's ripping into are ones he agreed to make (and make millions off). Which doesn't make him out to be all that smart (which, of course, he's not). Or perhaps, Bennifer was too busy yapping to the press and shoving their incredibly trite lives down our throats at every opportunity.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
They could be trying to act like "gangstas".
I haven't seen the film, but we tease because we love:

1. They're looking for a profit margin.

2. They're trying to find a good review in Matt's list (post #70).

3. They're struggling not to cry.

4. They're trying to follow Martin Brest as he runs away, very fast, from the premiere.

5. They're trying to spot the completion bondsmen as they approach on the distant horizon (think Emilio Estevez squinting at William Petersen across hilltops in Young Guns II).

:D All in good fun. I thought Ben was great in Armageddon (camp) and Bounce (drama), and I really, truly admired Jennifer Lopez' work in Angel Eyes (drama). I find her romantic comedy work, such as The Wedding Planner, charming (not so much the film, but her work in it). Seriously, if I didn't like their work, I'd never tease. So ... there ya' go.

John Gates

Second Unit
This copied/pasted from IMDB's site:
'Gigli' Yanked From British Movie Theaters

After averaging only about $300 per theater, the 73 British movie houses showing Gigli have decided to pull it after less than a week. The film debuted with reviews that would have made the dismal American notices appear like raves in comparison. "Celluloid manure," critic Alan Frank called it in the Daily Star. Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian wrote that stars Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez "are awe-inspiringly, world-historically awful." The film itself, he added, is "just so catastrophic I expected the audience to adopt the 'brace' position in the stalls, as if on a crashing plane." TV critic Jonathan Ross of Sky's Film 2003 remarked that despite the American reviews, "nothing can prepare you for quite how bad Gigli is." Likewise James Christopher in the Times commented "Mere words fail to express the awfulness" of the film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm amazed they found 73 theaters willing to show it in the first place. Must be a slow season at the British cinema.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I'm amazed they found 73 theaters willing to show it in the first place. Must be a slow season at the British cinema.
It's the same reason theatres in the US were forced to show it for 3 weeks - it would have been a contractual requirement imposed on the theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks