What's new

Giant power Outages? (1 Viewer)

David-S

Second Unit
All of the cell phone companies were having capacity problems, which only got worse after 9-10 pm as the tower's backup batteries started failing....

None of the cell co's can handle all of their subscribers dialing out at once, and that's what happens in these cases... each messes up as their technology dictates, but they all have problems... :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I mainly had a terrible time without f@%king Verizon DSL all day Saturday
It took them the entire day to stabilize that part of the system. That's why I've kept a backup dial-up account. But man is it s-l-o-w when you're used to broadband.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As a follow-up, today's (8/18/03) Times has an article about a behind-the-scenes tug-of-war between Upstate New York and NYC over who got power first. According to the article, ConEd was getting directions from the Independent Systems Operator to favor Upstate, and Mayor Bloomberg went so far as to direct the city attorneys to find a judge who could order ConEd not to cut off city customers who were already restored (which the ISO was directing ConEd to do). Under the threat of litigation, the ISO relented, and ConEd went back to restoring city dwellers. While this was going on, though, some people on Staten Island and the Bronx had their power cut anew.

[inappropriate random thoughts on Upstate New York and a certain governor deleted by moderator in an act of self-censorship :D ]

M.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

So much for being an Independent Systems Operator. They still just give in to whoever has the biggest mouth.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Adam,

Yeah, fascinating in f'ing Wisconsin where you DO have power, TV, radios, and phones.
Yeah... :D

Actually, I had to report on it (I work in Radio news) so that blew... nothing like working late into the night, hoping for a resolution and having no idea what is going on... I'm getting good at it, with September 11th, Space Shuttle explosion, and now this... I just wish they would quit happening.:frowning:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'd think it would be nice to get some exciting news reporting - only wish it was GOOD news.

I am amazed that they still don't know what happened, and in what order. Some still seem to be pointing fingers at Ohio, but not at their own fail-safe systems, which should have stopped the whole mess. Ok, part of it.

Anyone can claim that they need this item or this to be done, but I'll bet you that every one of those areas has a system to block requests from other areas when their own system cannot handle it. If the whole thing dies down we need some new Watergate reporters!

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks