What's new

Giant (1956) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's not true.

GIANT was planned and storyboarded as a wide screen film from day one.

George Stevens composed for 1.66 rather than the new standard of 1.85 because he preferred extra height to his widescreen image.

Attachments

• Giant September 1956.jpg
    Giant September 1956.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 33

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob Furmanek said:
GIANT began filming for 1.66:1 on May 19, 1955.
Bob,

I don't understand how that could be in question. Too much false information has been processed too long as there is documented proof to correct such misinformation.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You got me, Robert. Old myths can be hard to bust.

In fact, on July 29, 1953, nearly two years before the start of principal photography, George Stevens told Variety that "GIANT will be in color and widescreen."

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
The best deal on Giant is from Amazon UK when you order the James Dean Collection. This set also includes East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause.

Amazon UK's price on the set is $28 for all 3 movies. That's $9.33 per movie.

Compare that to Amazon US' price of $69.99!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, despite the fact I wanted the larger box, I went
ahead and preordered the James Dean set from the UK.

It was a no brainer based on getting it shipped for just under $28.

You can't pass that up.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
bluirv said:
The best deal on Giant is from Amazon UK when you order the James Dean Collection. This set also includes East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause.

Amazon UK's price on the set is $28 for all 3 movies. That's $9.33 per movie.

Compare that to Amazon US' price of $69.99!
I beat you to it just three posts above yours. Where's my props? :P
(Does anyone still say "props" in that context?)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, despite the fact I wanted the larger box, I went
ahead and preordered the James Dean set from the UK.

It was a no brainer based on getting it shipped for just under $28.

You can't pass that up.
Here in Australia, the set is $19.95.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
moviebuff75 said:
What's up with the cropping on the left side? In some shots, it is substantial.
It's never a good idea to assume that a previous release was cropped correctly - they may have transferred areas of the negative that weren't meant to be seen in projection.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Bob Furmanek said:
That's not true.

GIANT was planned and storyboarded as a wide screen film from day one.

George Stevens composed for 1.66 rather than the new standard of 1.85 because he preferred extra height to his widescreen image.
It is quite funny he would say that a really good picture needs height as well as width.
He must have changed his mind rather quickly as he started making a movie with more than 50% more width a few years later...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
It's never a good idea to assume that a previous release was cropped correctly - they may have transferred areas of the negative that weren't meant to be seen in projection.
Certainly not, but it is hard to believe that whoever worked on previous home video releases was clueless regarding the areas to be used. It would be good to get a bit of background info about the changes that were made. Different framing, contrast and colors are things that immediately can be obvious to people who owned previous versions of a movie on other formats and to get an explanation for what was done would go a long way towards avoiding discussions about those issues.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I got my wife the blu-ray of Giant for Christmas last year. We just got around to watching it last night. I got the single disc edition, so I didn't expect all the extras that the digibook has. But this is inexcusable: On the back cover of the blu-ray, it lists the extras and lists 8 or more items that are not included! (They were on a separate disc in the other set as far as I can tell.) No trailers, no stills/documents gallery, no "George Stevens: Filmmaker's Journey," "Memories of Giant, and Return to Giant," no "New York Premiere TV Special, Hollywood Premiere Featurette and Behind the Camera Segments", and no "And More!"

The disc does contain the intro by George Stevens Jr., the commentary, and the documentary: George Stevens: Filmmakers Who Knew Him."

So how does something like this slip past Warner quality control? A host of extras listed on the package that aren't included?

We enjoyed the movie and it looks very nice in high def, albeit not perfect. There is one lone Amazon reviewer who mentioned the mistake in packaging, but you have to comb through 500+ reviews to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks