What's new

Ghostbusters Special Edition (Merged)? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If the transfer is a significant improvement, I'll gladly double-dip. This is definitely a release to wait for reviews and screen shots though.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
This sounds like a pass for me. Two episodes of the cartoon and new cover art are not enough to warrant a repurchase IMO. I know it's also going to have remastered video, but how much better can these films look? The transfers on the 1999 discs look wonderful. I could understand if the '99 discs were non-anamorphic and this new release was going to be 16x9, but that's not the case. The '99 discs are 16x9 enhanced. If the video turns out to be significantly better, I'll buy. If not, I'll pass. This is a missed opportunity though. Why not make Ghostbusters II a SE? How about a new commentary for the original with the four ghostbusters?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
it was announced today that ghostbusters will be a launch title for psp's umd format in the uk :

from msn games radar

The launch movies are: 13 Going on 30, A Knight's Tale, Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid, Bad Boys, Charlie's Angels, Ghostbusters , Hellboy, Hitch, Hollow Man, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Punisher, Resident Evil Apocalypse, Spider-Man 2, Steamboy, SWAT, The One, You Got Served, XXX and XXX The Next Level.

looks like it had had a new hd master then as sony were talking about all umd movies being taken from hd and downscaled

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is umd some sort of niche S-DVD format compatible exclusively with Playstation, like a special sized disc or something?

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
DavisDVD has the backcover up.

It's not big enough to really read it, but to me it looks like it says that Ghostbusters 1 is in 1.33:1.

Columbia Tristar can't be that crazy, right?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap, I'm definitely hanging on to my current discs to swap case covers. Those are the most hideous things I've ever seen packaged on a DVD release! In fact, if pq is not improved significantly than this will be such a horribly missed oppurtunity and will definitely get passed up. I hope that's not the case. The text on the back of the box is also pretty damn ridiculous with all their "spooky" "kooky" crap. Anyone notice how Universal states that these films are being packaged together exclusively for the first time? This certainly doesn't seem like it's being marketed as a collector's edition to fans of the movie.... the 1.33.1 better be a misprint. I believe it indicated "widescreen" as a bonus feature under Ghostbusters 1, but I could be mistaken.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at the back cover, the danger of 4:3 is not with Ghostbusters (where it lists widescreen as an extra), but Ghostbusters II (where it is not listed in the extras).

Who ya gonna call... SONY!

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
What...the...HELL? Pan and scan for this gem is a crime. I sure hope that's wrong, but it's not like we have to buy it. Looks like I may have to hold out a little longer until R1 superbit versions are issued, or maybe I'll win the lotto in the near future and can then easily afford the Japanese superbits. :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Or, as my friends over at GBHQ suggested, 1:33 is the ratio for the 2 RGB Episodes, wich would make more sense, as the press release stated new anamorphic transfers for both films..

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
If this is true, that would suck but however, if both is actually widescreen, the problem is that on the back cover, people would think the first Ghostbusters is full-screen so they wouldn't buy it. I am very disappointed that Ghostbusters 2 didn't get the special treatment it deserved. I am probably in the minor that I like Ghostbusters 2 better than part 1. I have the orignal ones, if both have better transfers than the orignals, I will pick it up, if not, I will pass.

Travis W.

Second Unit

Ghostbusters 2 is very good and I think alot of people kinda group it into the "needless sequel" category. I too would like to see it receive extensive bonus materials along the lines of the first film.

Back to the aspect ratio speculation, I think if Sony was going through the trouble of having Ghosbusters butchered with pan & scan I think they'd do the same to Ghostbusters 2. After all, Ghostbusters has never been available pan & scan on DVD (:D ) but Ghostbusters 2 offers both versions on one disc.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
POST FROM DAVIS DVD:

Ghostbusters [update]

It seems that the back cover art I posted a few days ago for the upcoming Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Gift Set caused quite a stir among readers and fans. Specifically, if you look closely in the spec grid at the bottom of the packaging it looks like one of the features is listed as being "1.33:1 Fullscreen." Well, I did some digging around and called Sony to find out what this was all about. Strap in, kids. The first Ghostbusters film is being presented fullscreen only. Yes, you read that right. The sequel is anamorphic, but the original is pan & scan.

For the life of me, I can't seem to wrap my head around this decision. The press release states that the films feature new transfers - so why is one of Sony's crown jewels being short shrifted with a fullscreen-only presentation? Beats me. The person I talked to didn't have any explanation either other than to give me the customer care line. So maybe we should all call that number and let them know what a terrible decision they've made. I, for one, was going to buy the Gift Set. But now, no way.

I know a lot of people are going to be upset about this, so I urge you to be calm and respectful when calling Sony. The phone numbers I was given are 310-244-4000 and 1-800-860-2878. I called the "800" number and the phone tree doesn't seem to lead to any customer complaint option, so you might want to try the first number instead. You can also email them with your thoughts at [email protected]. Remember, there's a better chance of fixing this mistake if we all act like civilized people.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What's the big deal? It's not like Ghostbusters really uses the whole frame. Oh, wait:)

What is unbelievable is that one movie is in widescreen but the other isn't. It would make more sense if they were both fullscreen (god forbid but it would make more sense). It seems like if you want a Sony disc, you better buy it when they first release it or they'll re-release sans widescreen.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Wow. That's crazy.

I'm guessing that Ghostbusters is going to contain the original commentary track as well in which the director & Harold Ramis poke fun at the fullscreen TV version and say that "you can enjoy the movie on DVD that way that it was meant to be seen in it's OAR..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks