What's new

Ghostbusters Special Edition (Merged)? (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
I too would go for a superbit. I'm really suprised they haven't yet since there is a R2 Japanese superbit.

Matthew J

Agent
No, if anything, re-release GB2 With the Special Edition Treatment, they did a good enough job with the first one, I can wait for another release of the first for HD

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I was pretty happy with the first SE, and I agree, we are close enough to HD-DVD, it might be ok to wait.

The second one, however, could use a much better edition. That being said, I'd probably be suckered into a Superbit of the first film.

Matthew H

Second Unit
GB1 is now out of print. You can order it on eBay and some e-tailers have it, but it hasn't been pressed for awhile.

The DVD was recently moved from one production company to the other, so this pushed off its release a bit. It's still coming. No word on a GB2 SE, unfortunately.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I forgot all about this rumored release. Looks like it didn't pan out and they definitely missed the boat on doing a 20th Anniversary release. A "21st anniversary" edition in 2005 isn't exactly as significant. :)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
in terms of supplements, i thought the first one was pretty good. i'd just like a new transfer - similar to the original Matrix disc situation.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I'd love to see new DVDs of GhostBusters 1 and 2. I don't have them on DVD (just rented the first one a while back, it is a good DVD for 1999). It was definitely like watching a new movie when I saw the widescreen DVD. :)

For example, the scene where Ray and Winston are talking in the car... there are numerous cuts back and forth between them in the pan & scan version. In the OAR, it's just one continuous shot. Amazing difference.

Haden

Supporting Actor

Well as I said above, it's pretty much a given that a "20th anniversary edition" isn't going to happen. They've only got 18 days left to get it in stores and make it officially count. :)

Alas, like Bladerunner's 20th in 2002, this was another lost opportunity to do something meaningful. Oh well.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Surprised there hasn't been any posts yet on The Digital Bits recent announcement that a new Ghostbusters 1/2 Gift Set would be surfacing in August...

I really hope they go all out with these films giving us previous commentary tracks, storyboards and production photos along with the original featurette and documentary from the first release and hopefully new cast/crew interviews and a more in-depth behind the scenes or making-of. I also hope we see brand new remastered transfers that contend with the Japanese Superbit release and a DTS track too!

I'm really excited for this, I just really hope it's not the same 2 discs repackaged!

Haden

Supporting Actor
Probably the same old DVDs repackaged in a new set. If they were doing new special editions of each film I'm sure they'd release them individually instead of together in some kind of discounted 2pack.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I have some information that these may be new SE's. I'll have to see what I can drag out of my source in the next few days, heh..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
From Ghostbustershq.com

>>Oh I have to be registered to reply... just let them know that nothing further has been released but I'm sure that word can't be far behind. My guess is that it's something similar to what they did for the Karate Kid release recently.>>>

His source has been MIA recently, so he dosn't have any further info than that.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
About the Ray Parker Jr. music video, there may be rights problems which is why it isn't on the existing DVD (which is pretty packed).

The song was ruled in court to be a rip off of Huey Lewis' "I Want A New Drug". Apparently, the filmmakers used it in the temp track of the film and when they were looking for music for the film, they just wrote a sound a like song, hence, the Ray Parker song. They had to pay hundreds of thousands to Huey Lewis. So, that could have kept it off. They'd have to pay him again.

Although it has been on VH1 Classics recently. Still a fun video.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I don't care what extras (if any) are on this 'giftset', but if it's got significantly improved video quality for both movies then I'll be getting it, no question.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
There's an ad in this week's Video Business for a Ghostbusters Double Feature Gift Set. Street date is August 2, 2005.

You get both films, plus a collectible scrap book.

Some highlights:

- Remastered Video Plus 2 Animated Episodes of the REAL GHOSTBUSTERS
- 3 Featurettes
- Deleted Scenes
- Photo Galleries
- Multi-Angle Features
- Storyboards
- Audio Commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck

- Christian

Greg Black

Second Unit
1. Awesome news. Not that the video quality was bad the first time around, but I'm always a sucker for a new transfer.

2. Two episodes of the cartoon? I wonder if this means there will be a release of the cartoon series? Probably not, but I would love that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks