What's new

Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary Theatrical Release (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got home from seeing the 30th Anniversary theatrical release of Ghostbusters with a small but enthusiastic audience. I found that the story held up very well and visually it looked like a good quality release print. I didn't notice any DNR or EE.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For me Ghostbusters, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, is one of those films that gets practically everything exactly right. The whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. Glad to see it's getting a theatrical release for its 30th. I'll have to check it out.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just checked in at IMDB and people were complaining about the grain.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm thinking about taking my 4-year-old son to see this tomorrow. Kind of fitting since I was four when this came out. With that said, I'm a little worried that this might be a tad bit too scary for him. They certainly don't make PG rated "kids' movies like this anymore.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I don't think I'd take a 4 year old. Just too many "scary" scenes and confusing things for a 4 year old IMO.

My 6 year old has watched it when we DVR's it on AMC (plus I have the DVD) and he enjoys it. He's not a fan of the ghost librarian but he makes it through that scene fine. He does want to see it at the theater, so I MAY try to get over to see it on Labor day.

I still remember with fond memories going to see it the day it came out back in 84 (I was 20 at the time). We had a huge "Ghostbusters" themed party the afternoon of the opening day and had maybe 30 friends from school show up and most everyone carpooled to the theater to see it. I remember that a few days before the opening day, my dad somehow got a very grainy copy of the movie on VHS. I think it was a bootleg of some sort he got from some oilfield guys who worked out on an offshore oil rig. So prior to the movie, we sat and watched some of the tape but it was so blurry we gave up soon after it started. Still we all thought it was "cool" having it before anyone else...OnVHS to boot..LOL

Good times...they don't make 'em like thye used to.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wayne_j said:
I just checked in at IMDB and people were complaining about the grain.
Thank goodness we have people working at Sony/Columbia who know better and will not panic ala 20th Century Fox ( Predator ) and they will ignore such remarks, the mastered in 4K blu ray release is superb and gets the film back to how it should look.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
He's not a fan of the ghost librarian but he makes it through that scene fine.
It's been a while since I've seen it but I would think that would the main scene that would scare a kid. I was probably 7 or 8 when I first saw Ghostbusters and due to the opening scenes, I thought it was a straight horror movie.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Haha. The library scene is the only one I'm worried about. I'm going to attempt to take him here in about a hour but if it gets too bad we'll just leave.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah, too scary. I think it was that damn music score. We got to when Slimer went after Murray and we left. I might go back and watch the rest of it later in the week but he's certainly going to have to wait a few more years.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TravisR said:
I went today and there was probably 35 or 40 people in the theater (usually there's under 5 at these screenings). Nice to see the movie with a crowd.

We went to a 10:15am showing and I was shocked to see so many people. I'd say there were at least 30.

I'm not sure what's up with GB3 but without two of the leads, there's just not a point. I'd much rather see a remake over some watered down thing without (obviously) Ramis and perhaps Murray.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I would MUCH MUCH rather see studios do theatrical re-releases like this than bother remaking films that hold up just fine. I'm glad to hear that the shows were packed; hopefully the studios will take a hint. :)

BTW, if I had suggested taking my son to see this when he was 4, It would've taken a team of EMTs to extract Lucy's foot from my ass! :p

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I tried watching it with my son when he was in first grade or something. He freaked when Slimer went after Bill Murray and that was it. I figured, based on how popular the cartoon was that he was old enough. He's 12 now and I had just started to push the idea of trying again when I read about this coming out so I decided to wait.

I somehow managed to get both my kids (12 and 9) excited to see this. They know the awesomeness of Bill Murray (my youngest even wore his prized Bill Effin Murray shirt) and understand the pop culture significance of Ghostbusters.

They loved it. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny to them, but things like the absurdity of the Stay Puft Mashmellow Man stomping around the corner had them giggling.

My 9 year old got a little freaked out when Dana got possessed. He gets upset when characters he likes get hurt.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Saw this on a XD screen tonight. Lots of grain, but that's the way it was made. Kudos for Sony not screwing this up.

Great sound for a thirty year old film. (Last time I saw a 35mm print several years ago, the theater could only play it back in mono.) I could hear faint background noise in quieter parts of the soundtrack, but that may just be the source material.

Lot of little things and detail I've I never noticed/seen before. Who knew Slimer has a huge butt?! :blink:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Michael Elliott said:
We went to a 10:15am showing and I was shocked to see so many people. I'd say there were at least 30. I'm not sure what's up with GB3 but without two of the leads, there's just not a point. I'd much rather see a remake over some watered down thing without (obviously) Ramis and perhaps Murray.
There is a Ghostbusters 3. It's called Ghostbusters The Video Game. Most of the actors from the film, including Bill Murray, provide the voices and Dan Ackroyd wrote the story. It's a great game and in the same vein as the films. I played it on the xbox 360 and it is available, but pretty expensive from third party sellers on Amazon. Here's the description of the game;"Who You Gonna Call?The Ghostbusters are back in an all-new story penned by the original creators! With Manhattan newly overrun by ghosts and other supernatural creatures, it's up to you to take on the role of a new recruit joining the original film cast of the famous Ghostbusters team. Equipped with a variety of unique weapons and gadgets, you will hunt, fight and capture a wide range of uncanny phantasms and demons in an all-new funny and frightening battle to save New York City from its latest paranormal plague.Key Game Features:Based on the classic Ghostbusters films and features the original castHead out with unique weapons and gadgetsBattle an incredible variety of supernatural foesMove through New York City and stop eerie enemiesBecome part of the famous paranormal ghostbusting teamCast from the Original FilmsGhostbusters: The Video Game features the original film cast from the classic Ghostbusters films, including Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. Aykroyd and Ramis also return to write the script and storyline for the game. Enter an exciting gameplay environment that authentically recreates the whimsical time period of the film and expands the lore and supernatural events that seemingly plague New York City.Product DescriptionWhen Manhattan is once again overrun by ghosts and other supernatural creatures, players will take on the role of a new recruit joining the famous Ghostbusters team."

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My son loves playing that one on his Wii. Not sure though why they make Dan Akroyd's character into a short chubby guy though.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I finally got around to watching this yesterday afternoon, and was the only one in the theaters. I don't think that has ever happened before for me.

It was nice to see this movie on the big screen. I remember my parents asked me if I wanted to see this in theaters back in the day, and I ended up saying no, thinking it was scary and dumb. It wasn't until the cartoon series that I finally got around to watching the 1st film.

Great to hear the Ghostbusters theme in the theaters, and almost feeling like I am back in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks