What's new

Ghostbusters 1 & 2 - likely this Fall (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, a couple rumor sites have been listing this one as coming to Blu-ray. I'm currently hearing October 21.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's what I heard, but I want to wait until something officially is posted before updating our release schedule.

Crawdaddy

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Previous rumors alluded to the fact that Ghostbusters 2 would only be available as part of a box set. If that's true, I'm not sure I really care either way. If the box set is cheap enough, I will buy it. Otherwise, I'll just pick up the original.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Sony Previews 'Ghostbusters' Blu-ray Plans at Comic-Con | High-Def Digest

One caveat (for me) is that at least one SPHE insider has mentioned that "Ghostbusters" does not look very good. Whether the source is so bad that there's nothing to be done, or if it's a bad master (and, if so, whether they've bothered to restore/remaster it) isn't clear, but for right now I'm not expecting much, at least from the first movie.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That's a shame. I remember there being a lot of controversy about the last transfer done of Ghostbusters. If it disappoints, I'd say odds are better that a bad master is to blame rather than nothing can be done about it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ghostbusters is not a beautiful film. I saw it in 70mm four years ago and the blow-up had grain the size of golfballs.

I don't see why this film would need to be restored, as I assume it would be shot on low-fade stock.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only thing I recall about the DVD release of Ghostbusters is that Richard Edlund was called in to complete effects work that was left unfinished when it was released theatrically. Now, if that was done via CG at SD resolution, some work may have to be redone, but as was previously stated, Ghostbusters is not going to be reference material on BD.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I'm not sure what it is you're recalling, but you're at least somewhat confused. Ghostbusters (neither of them) has never had any CGI tinkering, updating, or alternate cuts (short of the TV edit).

The first DVD looked pretty damn good, but it had a lot of DNR. The second release was better in many ways but the color timing, though more accurate, was rather drab and the brights were blown out. There was also some really sloppy color correction done to it.

Ghostbusters on Blu could theoretically look fantastic, but Sony hasn't every really put that much money into it.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Why do they still refer to the second film as Ghostbusters 2? It's "II." Sorry, just a pet peeve.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Actually, I daresay you are the one in error--it was, in fact, publicized at the time of its release that the most recent DVD of GHOSTBUSTERS features final completion work on some elements of the visual effects. I, too, am not exactly sure what visuals were refined, or by what manner (CGI or otherwise), but refinement was done.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

That would be that sloppy color correction I spoke of. You can see it most noticeably on Slimer, there were a few times where the color (just blobs of green overlayed on the image) would remain after a cut or wouldn't keep up with the character-- just leaving a blob of green in the frame.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I do remember the most recent dvd issues of Ghostbusters being a bit controversial....some color issues and some blown out whites indeed.

Hopefully some of this will be corrected for the Blu-ray. Ghostbusters is a classic action comedy film that really does deserve the best treatment. I'm all for waiting a little longer if it would give Sony more time to do it justice.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ghostbusters never really looked great in any video format but I'll be getting this without a doubt. Unless it's a total botch job which I don't expect they'd let happen.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I hope they port over all of the extras from the other releases however, I can live without the 2 episodes of the cartoon series from the last set. Those need their own season box set.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
The newer HD transfer has less detail than the older HD transfer because of an error in the whites. Detail is just completely missing. There are screen shot comparisons all over the internet.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
If SPHE were to spring for a brand new transfer of the first movie is there a chance they'd release it to SD DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks