What's new

Getting rid of Spyware (1 Viewer)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
I have spyware on my system from a company called "i-lookup" that I can't get rid of. I've tried different spyware removal programs and haven't had any success removing it. Although the software detects it and supposedly removes it, it still seems to be there. It changes my homepage to their site every time I close IE and it opens up browser windows to all of their BS sites when I'm not even using the computer. I also have their IE toolbar that I can't get rid of.

So I guess my question to all you computer gurus out there is, how do I get it off my system? It's driving me up the friggin' wall.

Thanks

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
did you check in your programs folder on your c: drive to attempt to delete the offending file?
Yep, I've already tried that to no avail.
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Another question. How do I open up the "registry" so I can look for anything that shouldn't be there?

Rodon

Second Unit
Regedit will let you look at and modify your registry.

start, run, type "cmd", at the dos prompt type "regedit" and press enter. After you close or exit regedit type "exit" to close the dow window.

Instructions assume you have XP. Should be the same on 98SE except you may have to type "command" instead of "cmd".

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Too many steps, Rodon. Regedit is a Windows program, and you don't need to launch a command prompt to start a Windows program.

Start, Run, type "regedit" and press Enter.

But please be careful in Regedit. You can break things there.

harold t

Grip
download and run ad-ware by lavasoft make sure you update it after you install it.just do a search on google to download it.also make sure you clear out your history
and internet temp files in internet optains.

haroldt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks