1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting audio into my receiver?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stan Welks, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Stan Welks

Stan Welks Well-Known Member

I have a Philips 42-inch LCD connected via HDMI to a Sony BLU RAY player and an Apple TV. I now want to connect a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver to both the Apple TV and Blu Ray player. I do not see HDMI audio outs on the BLU RAY player or Apple TV. How do I get the best audio possible out of these components and into my receiver? There is a HDMI port for TV on the receiver so I plugged an HDMI from the TV into the receiver though nothing is happening. I do not see any audio HDMI outs on the TV.

Thanks for any help!!!!

2. Eddie W.

Eddie W. Well-Known Member

HDMI carries both audio and video signals via 1 cable. Send both HDMI outputs from your components to the receiver, then send the 'monitor' HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

3. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Well-Known Member

Hi Stan, try connecting your systems as follows:

Blu-Ray Player HDMI OUTPUT ====> Receiver HDMI INPUT
    Apple TV HDMI OUTPUT ====> Receiver HDMI INPUT
    Receiver HDMI OUTPUT ====> Television HDMI INPUT

Cheers,
    Alon

4. Stan Welks

Stan Welks Well-Known Member

1.) I noticed that when I had the AppleTV connected to the (HDP) HDMI input on the receiver, the receiver would switch modes on its own, make some clicking sounds, and then the on/standby starts flashing red and it stops displaying the AppleTV. Why did it do this? I changed the AppleTV to DVR and it seems ok now. What is HDP intended for?

2.) My powered sub does not seem to work. I have it plugged into the SW input on the receiver and I have a single Monster cable going from it to the sub and it is plugged into the top Low Level input on the sub, the L channel.

Thanks guys!

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    2) Is your sub set to Auto? That way it will turn on when it senses a signal. What is your sub/LFE level set to on the receiver? Do you have the sub output turned on on the receiver? There's a lot of reasons why it won't turn on and you have to eliminate them 1 by 1.

-Robert

6. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    You don't connect the sub to the subwoofer input on the receiver. You connect it to the subwoofer output. Many receivers have both.