What's new

Get Smart! (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'm still wondering why Quincy is out on DVD, but The Odd Couple is not! Studio logic doesn't make sense sometime.
Not sure what this has to do with Get Smart, but...

Different studios. Different producers. Different rights and syndication issues. Different marketing groups.

About the only thing the two shows have in common is Jack Klugman.

I am fairly confident that The Odd Couple will be released eventually.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
With no disrespect to those who are excited on the idea of a new Get Smart movie with a new actor, I for one am glad that the movie dosen't sound like it's getting anywhere. It's just not a good idea.

I always felt the new Charlies Angels films, Mission Impossible films, etc, just don't work. They may be kinda cool to a new audience like Charlies Angels was, but it's not the same. And sometimes disrespect the original.

Get Smart was definitely an entity of it's time. The Nude Bomb was a nice try, but wasn't the same. The lacking production values, lack of Ed Platt and Barbara Feldon made the whole thing a waste of time and effort. Get Smart Again was a nice effort, it had heart and was closest in spirit to the original.

Let's hope that who ever owns the rights, can get this out on DVD.

Phelps go bad? C'mon. :b

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Who cares how bad the movie will be? I won't watch it but as we have seen, bad remakes have led to DVD releases of TV shows. SWAT would have never come out without the movie. Sony would not be putting out Tabitha without this Bewitched movie. So I say, bring on the attrocious remakes! Let Hollywood have their fun since it winds up being to our benefit.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Sony would not be putting out Tabitha without this Bewitched movie. So I say, bring on the attrocious remakes! Let Hollywood have their fun since it winds up being to our benefit.
Great quote :emoji_thumbsup: I agree compeletely. I don't usually go see the TV remake films but I love that "Tabitha" is getting released on the same day as Bewitched.
"Chief, it's the 'ole butcher up the original series with a bad remake" trick :D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Kudos to Mark Evanier for breaking this story and special thanks to Carl Birkmeyer for his tireless work to get this show released. Carl posted on his yahoo group that fans should start saving their money for a possible February/March release. I don't know him, but he seems like a stand-up guy who is very careful to separate fact from speculation.

This is great news. Get Smart! is one of my top 5 sitcoms of all time and I look forward to being able to watch complete unedited episodes of all 5 seasons.

Steve

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Probably my single most-wanted release. 2006 will be a very good year indeed if several Get Smart season sets are in the offing.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I hope they do a better job than the Wiseguy release. I was really looking forward to that one, and ended up not buying any of it due to the way it was released. Get Smart is next on my list. Season sets, and please either Close Caption them or include English subtitles. Cost is minimal.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I don't know hom much of an effect this will have, but there's a "Get Smart" movie planned for next year, with Steve Carrell playing Maxwell Smart. I'd bet on there being some sort of tie-in to some or all DVD season sets.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't know hom much of an effect this will have, but there's a "Get Smart" movie planned for next year, with Steve Carrell playing Maxwell Smart. I'd bet on there being some sort of tie-in to some or all DVD season sets.
Its unclear if that movie is happening. There's still no script, no director, only a star. If Carrell hits it big with 40 Year Old Virgin this summer, it may move things along, but I'm glad the DVDs are happening independent of the movie. If we had to wait for the movie to open to get the DVDs, we might well miss the show's 40th anniversary.

Seeing as how Warner is making the movie and is likely the ones putting out the DVDs, a tie-in is not out of the question, but it does not seem like they're waiting for the movie to start the DVD sets, like, for example, Bewitched.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Nothing really new here, but Carl Birkmeyer posted this today on his GS Yahoo Group:
"I'm extremely happy to announce that HBO has officially announced that they will be releasing Get Smart on DVD. Tentative plans call for it to be released starting in 2006. I can also report that the DVD producer is going to do everything possible to present the uncut episodes and include some really cool extras. I will release more information when I can, but I am aware of some of the extras planned and I can tell you that this release will be fabulous and everyone will be pleased."
Great news that the producer is aware that fans want the uncut episodes and that every attempt is being made to get them. I imagine Carl will be putting updates on his excellent GS website www.wouldyoubelieve.com
Steve

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Sounds like good news - I hope HBO (assuming they are the studio) does a good job with the series

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Without a doubt, my favourite show as a kid, and rewatching it a while ago on reruns i was delighted to see that it stands up. Hopefully we do get uncut versions, and great extras.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As anyone who's seen my posts in the TV on DVD forum here on HTF knows, Get Smart is tied for my most-anticipated DVD release (the other is 1966's Batman), so I am thrilled that the DVDs are coming. It sounds like they're going to be done right and will have some cool extras -- although frankly, I'd be thrilled with uncut episodes that look great.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Imagine the incompetence at these studios when they don't even know what they own.
You can't imagine all the reasons for that situation. With all the rights transfers going on all the time in Hollywood, not to mention licensing, sub-licensing, and expiring of said licenses, it's hard to know who the players are without a scorecard. Then you have simple employee turnover: when you have a guy who knows everything in the files, and he moves on or gets hit by a bus, then someone new is hired to take his place but never has time to just dig through the massive files and find out everything that the old guy knew. Toss a few corporate mergers onto the pile, and you've got a recipe for confusion.

Sure, if you're a big studio who wants to find out about everything you own, you can initiate a big-budget project to start a new computer system that catalogs all your properties in one massive database, and hire researchers to go through everything and find out conclusively what you do and don't own. But when that big tentpole film project runs over budget and they need to pull the cash from somewhere or it won't make the Summer release date, then whose budget do you think they're going to cut...again!?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While I don't share many people's critical opinion of Paramount TV DVDs (I think they do a good job of putting out shows like Taxi fairly quickly and in very good shape, and for a pretty low price, all things considered), I don't know what to expect from HBO for this release.

HBO's Sopranos DVDs have been good releases, but have been slight on extras and very expensive. I don't think HBO did the first season set of Larry Sanders (Sony did, IIRC) but that show was an HBO property and the set was widely criticized for poor transfers and a high price. HBO's done The Wire and Deadwood, both of which are very pricey (and neither of which I own).

Of course, HBO's Sex in the City DVDs have been very well done and reasonably priced. While I hope Get Smart follows that example, my point is that you don't quite know what to expect from this studio, especially with a 40-year old property. As far as I know, HBO has not released any properties that old as yet.

All of that aside, this is the #1 DVD I am looking forward to in 2006. Hope to see at least 3 of the 5 seasons next year alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks