What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read Chris played Clark the way he did because he felt that a pair of glasses wasn't going to fool anyone, so he made Clark a polar opposite of Superman to be more believeable.
But the result was that Clark Kent was LESS believable, not more. Why would a bumbling idiot be a star reporter on a major paper?

I don't think anyone ever said that the glasses fooled people. After all, Lois always thought Clark was Superman.

I believe the premise of the original comics and TV show was that everyone knew that Clark Kent was a dead ringer for Superman, but he was "meek and mild" (which glasses are supposed to denote, I guess) so he couldn't possibly BE the bravest man in the world.

I think Christopher Reeve went beyond meek and mild to bumbling, which was wrong... in fact, it would make Lois MORE suspicious, not less, because he was overdoing it.

George Reeves got it right by playing Clark Kent as more or less a quiet, everyday type of guy, but still quite competent at his job.

But I want to repeat my contention that the glasses weren't to disguise the FACE, but to promote the image of the quiet, studious type of guy whom one wouldn't expect to be flying around the world battling criminals and monsters from outer space.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
As I stated before, during the Curt Swan days, Clark Kent was a clumsy, goofy guy, especially in the seventies. Clark feinting in the movie was very much what he did in those comics.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This article at TVODVD provides an update indicating that the release date information posted by the "official Superman homepage" wasn't quite accurate (see post #73 above). The release is actually pegged for sometime in the summer of 2005.

Thanks to TVODVD.com for following up and keeping us in the loop.

Steve

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
If this is coming out in the Summer, does that mean Lois & Clark will be put out in the Spring or will we have to wait until Fall?

Paul

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Read the story, Paul! Indications are that they will both hit at the same time, though that is by no means guaranteed.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Thanks for that news. I think summer is a great time to release both AOS and Lois & Clark. I had a feeling they'd release both on the same day :)

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
This article at TVODVD provides an update indicating that the release date information posted by the "official Superman homepage" wasn't quite accurate.
The article itself wasn't quite accurate either, where it said "This has been cooking for a while, after a hold-up related to restoring the elements of this older (1953) property."

The series premiered on Sept. 19, 1952, following the theatrical release of Superman and the Mole Men in 1951.

Old information sometimes dies hard. The "1953" error comes from Gary Grossman's book "Superman: Serial to Cereal," which lists only the Los Angeles and New York City premiere dates, both of which were in '53.

Incidentally, the series may have premiered on September 26, not the 19th. It's first listed in Chicago TV listings for September 19 on WENR-7. But a TV magazine for the following week describes "Superman on Earth" as the episode for the 26th. I haven't researched further, so I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps a baseball game went into extra innings on the 19th?

This is just nitpicking, though... there's no doubt "Adventures of Superman" first aired in 1952.

Michael

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's as simple as I fat-fingered it. Typos are much easier for me to spot and correct when its a spelling error than when I use a wrong number. I just fixed it, though. Thanks for the heads-up.

Just for grins, I checked the IMDB, and it correctly says 1952.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe the first season was actually filmed in 1951. The film elements that need or needed restoring are from that year and not the year the show was broadcast.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
At long last, our friends over at TVShowsOnDVD.com have posted an UPDATE on the status of The Adventures of Superman season one DVD. Not much news, but some interesting pictures to check out. Enjoy!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Sounds like bad news to me. All this time I thought the delay in releasing this show was because they were trying to find the best elements and restore the picture and sound. Now it turns out there are rights issues involved, which have to do with the opening music (I've read on a Superman site):

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...0of%20Superman

Let's just hope this doesn't turn into the mess rights issues have turned the Batman TV show into. I seriously hope they don't wind up substituting the original opening them of TAOS, since this classic anthem was a huge part of the show!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As Carlos said, the opening theme song is causing problems. Here's the relevant portion of Michael Hyde's explanation

Yes, believe it or not: the theme to TAOS was never copyrighted by National Comics, nor anyone else... until 1977!!! Publishing is now held by Bourne Music, and apparently they want a piece of the pie. My understanding of this is that, as long as the theme is used for its actual purpose - to open and close the episodes - the publisher cannot object. It gets thornier if the music is "re-purposed"; for example, if it plays over the menu screens, or as part of a documentary.
Apparently the documentary that was part of the set now has to be re-edited to remove said theme.

The good news is that, if Mr. Hyde's analysis is correct, the episodes themselves aren't affected, only supplemental material. This really shouldn't jeopardize the entire project, just the extras which would have made this an extra-special release.

I agree with Carlos with the importance of the opening theme. It was a huge part of the show.

Steve

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I seriously hope they don't wind up substituting the original opening them of TAOS, since this classic anthem was a huge part of the show!
Warner Bros has only substituted one song on a release (the single song that held up La Femme Nikita season 2).

Gord

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Today's Wal-Mart flyer says its avilable June 7 and lists it as a new release. 36.83 Canadian funds.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I realize June 7 is the release date of the 1990's live action series, but the cover art shown in the Wal-Mart flyer is defienitely George Reeves. It has a color picture of George Reeves as Superman second from the top right on page 14 left of Chappelle's Show Season 2(uncensored- the only way I like anything!) and right of "Be Cool" ith his fists pressed to his hips, you can see his cape hanging behind him from his right side but not his left Above the picture it says "Adventures Of" in white and "Superman" in red on all the texts sides and yellow on the front. Behind the "Adventures of Superman" text is nothing but the color red which is also on the cases right side above the same "Superman" font above what I think is the exact same picture of George Reeves as Superman as on the front, it's printed too small in the flyer to tell. In the top right corner of the fron cover, right that is from the point of view of one looking at the front, is some text again too small to make out in a white horizontal rectangle. From the same point of view on the bottom right corner is what appears to be a planet either purple or blue in color, probably Krypton, while on the bottom left there is a white vertical rectangle which at the top says "26 episodes" in red, in the middle says something yet again printed too small in the flyer to make out except for the fact that whatever it says is black and lastly below that in blue is something about Superman and the Mole Men. I would scan it for you, but I don't think my scanner is installed right now and ven if it was I don't know how to post pictures on the internet.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
I realize June 7 is the release date of the 1990's live action series, but the cover art shown in the Wal-Mart flyer is defienitely George Reeves.
This wouldn't be the first time a retailer published the wrong cover art for a new release. That seems more likely than a premature shipment of the delayed product. If it's real though, it would be quite the collector's item!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
All indications are that it was supposed to be released June 7 with Lois and Clark and Wonder Woman but has been delayed apparently by the music clearence issue. These music problems are really becoming a pain in the a--.
and i work for an organization that collects royalties for songwriters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks