What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
All I can say is, I thank god I grew up at a time when The Adventures of Superman was shown locally alongside Batman. I wasn't spoiled with blue/green screens, and I could appreciate great shows for what they were, great written and use of the imagination. Today good writing has been replaced by special effects. They are a dime a dozen and all look the same to me. I'll take the worst episode of that first season of The Adventures of Superman over any of the Supermans that came along after that.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
But getting back to the upcoming DVD release... What's all this about "missing scenes"?!?
JoSAN an example would be from the episode "Around the World With Superman". There was a scene that I remember seeing MANY years ago where Clark examines the little girl with his x-ray vision. This scene hasn't been seen in syndication in a LONG time. I know it exists, I just hope it's restored. Also, if you've seen the episode "The Stolen Costume", the only prints I've ever seen are worn out 16mm prints. I've never seen a 35mm copy of this episode in syndication, and I just hope that the original still exists and is used to master the DVD. Since the show is so old, all we can do is hope the original elements are still intact and complete, and will be used for the DVDs.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Well, where are your tapes from? Are they taped off the air from syndication or from Nick at Nite? If so, then I'm sure they are quite edited down. If they are from the Columbia House releases then they should be complete. From the time this show was done, complete episodes should run about 26 minutes or longer, maybe as long as 26:30.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
If Kal-El, on the other hand, wants to play such a large part of his life so deliberately pathetic, then I'm sorry, he get's the treatment he deserves.
Excuse me, I don't get your point. The obvious point I see in that statement is that Kal-El wants to make sure no one can tell the difference between Clark and Superman. Remember, Jor-El explains to Superman, (in a deleted scene in the script) why he can't reveal his disguise.

And Kal-El threw away his powers because he loved Lois Lane. DUH!

One of the reasons you're so confused is because Superman and Superman II were supposed to be directed by Richard Donner but the Salkinds fired him (but that discussion belongs on an entirely different board)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
And Kal-El threw away his powers because he loved Lois Lane. DUH!
That's the biggest problem I have with the Chris Reeve Superman movies, the terrible mis-casting of Margot Kidder as Lois. With all due respects to her talents, I think she was average looking (at best), and her character was that of a chain smoking ultra-hyper lunatic. I could NEVER understand why Superman would be in love with her. But as you say, this belongs on another thread.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
All this talk about George Reeves vs Christopher Reeve as Superman seems silly to me. As far as I am concerned, I'm glad we got to see both of their performances. They each brought something great to the role, and they each made it their own. I think we're lucky to have both the TV show and the movie series.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Hey, no hard feelings dude. It was fun discussing this.

I can't wait for the Adventures of Superman DVD. It was campy. It was fun. It was a blast to watch.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, Chris Reeves did one thing in the first Superman film that George never got to do - he grabbed Lois Lane's breast. I can't remember the exact time, but it was when Chris was being shown around the office. Lois bends down and Chris cops a quick feel.

I grew up with George Reeves as Superman and he's still the man for me.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
I'm guessing June 14 will be the next "wave." I think Lois & Clark could be on that date, too.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
George Reeves played him realistically mild-mannered, while Christopher Reeve played him as an exaggerated buffoon.
In the seventies comics, Clark Kent was very much portrayed as a buffon... as well as the butt of many a prank by Steve Lombard, their sportscaster. The portrayal of Clark Kent is not the direct result of the actor's acting but rather the writing and director's. Having read just about all the Superman comics of the seventies, Chris Reeve's portrayal of both Supes and Clark was spot on.

In the earlier works of Superman, Clark is not portrayed as such an oaf. The portrayal of Clark in both the Fleisher cartoons and AoS reflect that.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
It would be a must buy for me too. I'd rather watch it than SmallVille, Lois & Clark or the new "Superman Returns" movie coming out. Danny Elfman will probably get to do that score too. My least favorite musican of all time. Oh well.
I grew up in the '70's with both George Reeves and Christoper Reeve as the man of steel and for me the franchise/series ended with Chris' passing.
Likewise, I would very much rather watch the 60's Superman cartoon series or the great SuperFriends series than the wb bowling pin version of today.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
From what I've read Chris played Clark the way he did because he felt that a pair of glasses wasn't going to fool anyone, so he made Clark a polar opposite of Superman to be more believeable.

I can't wait for the Adventures of Superman on DVD :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks