What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (2 Viewers)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
JoSAN, I agree with you that Phyllis's portrayal of Lois made her being a reporter more believable, but not as likeable as Noel's Lois. That being said, that first season was incredibly written and everyone of those episodes felt like mini-movies, so alot had to do with the scripts. Noel's Lois (I think) balanced the scales of both (believability as a reporter, and likeability as a lady) in the second season of the show, when (even though they softened the characters) the writing was still very strong.

I have to disagree about George Reeves being the best Superman. For me, Christopher Reeve is the actual Superman. He's the only actor that made the character seem and feel very real.
Chris, I think this is more about what version of Superman one was watching when they were growing up. I grew up in the mid to late 60s, and I used to watch both Batman and Superman, so to me the ONLY live versions of the characters I acknowledge are Adam West and George Reeves. I did like Christopher Reeves as Superman too, but I never felt he was nearly as believable in the role as George Reeves was. For one thing, after seeing George in the role, Christopher Reeve came across more as Superboy, rather than Superman. Also, if ever you've seen the first season of The Adventures of Superman, you'd understand the believability factor. While the show softened up in later seasons, the first season seemed like it was aimed more for adults rather than kids. Christopher Reeve's Superman was done more in the Batman TV show mold, where there was alot more comedy and some campiness thrown in for fun. Still very good, but I'll always consider George Reeves to be the one and only "Man of Steel".

I wish we had some official mention as to when the show will finally be released. Also I am dying to hear whether they will include any of the desired cast interviews, or commentary tracks. With most of the leading cast members still alive, it would be a crime if they didn't include such extras.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Although there is the oft quoted answer to why that was - "because the bullets aren't real, but the gun is" - it doesn't account for the time (at least once that I remember) the bad guy threw the gun and George Reeves actually DID let it bounce off his chest! What a guy!
And (as I recall), neither a flinch nor a blink by the Man of Steel.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Definitive Superman: George Reeves
Batman: Adam West
James Bond: Sean Connery
Lone Ranger: Clayton Moore
Darrin Stevens: Dick York
IMF Leader: Steven Hill

First is always the best (except for Chester Riley where Gleason pales compared to Bendix)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Definitive Superman: George Reeves
Batman: Adam West
James Bond: Sean Connery
Lone Ranger: Clayton Moore
Darrin Stevens: Dick York
IMF Leader: Steven Hill

First is always the best (except for Chester Riley where Gleason pales compared to Bendix)
Nicholas Hammond instead of Toby Maguire?

William Hartnell instead of Patrick Troughton (or John Pertwee or Tom Baker or...etc. etc.)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
What I always found funny was that the criminal would actually throw the gun after they shoot... hey, criminal, wouldn't bullets be worse than a thrown gun? Get real.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
While I enjoyed watching AOS in reruns during the 1970's, then on Nickoleodeon in the 90's, and while I plan on getting AOS on DVD in the new year, for me there's only one definitive Superman, and that's Christopher Reeve.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
While I enjoyed watching AOS in reruns during the 1970's, then on Nickoleodeon in the 90's, and while I plan on getting AOS on DVD in the new year, for me there's only one definitive Superman, and that's Christopher Reeve.
Christopher Reeve will always be my definitive "Superboy". After watching George Reeves (a man in his late-30s) as the "Man" of Steel, it was pretty hard believing a 20 something year old as a "Man", sorry.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
George Reeves is Superman for me as well. It's hard to top 100+ on screen appearances, many personal appearances, and a legacy that has endured for over 50 years. To be honest, the circumstances surrounding his passing probably helped solidify his place as a cultural icon. I respect the couple of good movies Chris Reeve made and forgive him for Superman 4. It is to his credit that his legacy extends beyond playing the Man of Steel.

Regarding Lois Lane....Carlos summed it up best when he said that Noel Neill is the only Lois he had a crush on. Ditto. She is still beautiful today at 83.

I'm the first to admit that TAOS was not the best show from a technical standpoint, but it is one of the most fun to watch and always brings a smile.

Great Ceasar's Ghost - bring on the DVDs!

Steve

Supporting Actor
Excuse me, I thought Gerard Christopher was Superboy.

George Reeves didn't look like Superman. Sorry. Superman IV was a good movie. We could've done without Meteor Man... or whatever his name was.... who looked a little like Richard Dean Anderson in his MacGyver years..... but the idea of getting rid of all nuclear weapons sounds like an astounding idea.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
George Reeves didn't look like Superman. Sorry. Superman IV was a good movie. We could've done without Meteor Man... or whatever his name was.... who looked a little like Richard Dean Anderson in his MacGyver years..... but the idea of getting rid of all nuclear weapons sounds like an astounding idea.
Chris, you grew up in a different time. I mean you like Chachi for god's sake. Please don't come onto an Adventures of Superman thread and tell us George Reeves didn't look like Superman. If you don't like the show or his portrayal, that's one thing, but anyone who knows what the original Superman comics looked like will tell you that George Reeves was the definitive Superman, looking like he stepped out of the comics and into the show. While I admire Christopher Reeve's interpretation of Superman, (to me) he was just too young for the role and also too skinny. Yes Gerard Christopher was Superboy, but for my money Christopher Reeve would've made an equally good Superboy, since he was basically still a kid in his mid 20s when he played the role. As for Nuclear Man...well the least said, the better.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
If you don't like the show or his portrayal, that's one thing, but anyone who knows what the original Superman comics looked like will tell you that George Reeves was the definitive Superman, looking like he stepped out of the comics and into the show.
Couldn't agree more.

Back to the DVDs of this show....there are collectors who have original Kellogg's commercials and other Superman related promotional footage. Having never seen these, I think it would be great if Warners could arrange for some of these items to appear on the DVDs. Hopefully Jack Larson and Phyllis Coates will be participants in the S1 set and Noel Neill will be brought in for subsequent sets. Jack Larson in particular is a very interesting fellow who's had much professional success off camera since leaving Jimmy Olson behind. I'd be interested to hear what stories he could tell.

Ideally (and assuming sales warrant), Seasons 1 & 2 (consisting of 26 episodes each) would be sold separately, but 3&4 and 5&6 would be grouped together since each of those seasons was only 13 episodes.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
That was the first time my wife ever saw George Reeves Superman and, man, was she impressed! And after seeing him relate with little Ricky and kids at the birthday party she said "He's such a nice guy!"
It's called "charisma". I think George was the only Superman who really had it, that feeling that someone incredible had just walked in the room when he appeared.

I too remember the first time I saw that entrance George made in I Love Lucy, and to this day wonder how he could do that with such fluid action that you can believe he just flew through the window. George's portrayal of Superman was so human, and his interactions with children were so believable, that's how he got embedded in my brain as the only Superman I can really acknowledge.

Who can ever forget the second season episode, "Around the World With Superman"! The episode with the little girl who was blind, and Superman assists with her eye operation by using his x-ray vision. Then at the end when the little girl gets her eyesight back, she flies around the world with Superman. Anyone who ever saw that episode as a kid would no doubt have envied that little girl.

The first season was incredible though, hard gripping, and very adult oriented. I mean stuff you just wouldn't see done for kids today. Examples: In one episode, Superman goes to a town where the people are dying and a dog is found gassed to death. In another episode, a crippled child who wears a leg brace screams in agony when a crook removes her brace so she won't be able to walk. In yet another episode, a couple of crooks find out Superman's identity, and in order to keep them from telling anyone, Superman flies the crooks to the North Pole, where they are freezing, and even though Superman promises to return for them, they try and climb down the mountain top, only to fall to their deaths (does this inadvertantly make Superman a murderer?) Hard nosed indeed! I can't wait until this set is released! I hope they restore all the missing scenes too!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
But seeing Christopher Reeve stumbling around, mumbling his lines like a goofball... I slunk down in my seat and just wanted to crawl out of the theatre!
I know what you mean. I thought Chris Reeve's Kent went beyond "mild mannered" status and straight into "wimp" mode. I don't blame Reeve since he was just following the script, but I thought an otherwise great movie was lessened somewhat by this characterization.

Steve

Supporting Actor
Christopher Reeve approached the role of Clark Kent like a Cary Grant character.

Christopher Reeve approached the role of Superman by underplaying it. He felt that since the costume was such an iconic piece of our American Culture by then he thought he could just underplay it. The suit could do most of the talking. I belived Superman was flying. All George Reeves did was lie flat with no movement. And the close-up were hilarious with George's non-manueverability.

Christopher Reeve, I think, was a pilot previous to the role or something. He had such maneuverability in making it look like he could fly.

Clark Kent wasn't a "wimp." He was more like a Gilligan -- he meant well in his actions, but somehow he seemed to goof things up. You can't help but feel sorry for him and you can't help but like him.

Don't get me wrong. Please. I love the Adventures of Superman. But I think it was somehow cartoonish the way George Reeves would always have his arms akimbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks