What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Thank you Michael. That was very informative. Woulda been nice to see the original material in its entirety.

Here's the back of the DVD set magnified a bit.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I remember reading that it will be on the I Love Lucy set, but don't know if it could show up as an extra on a future AOS set, since ILL and AOS are owned by different companies. Maybe Gord or Dave could answer that :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
With the release of the set just several weeks away, I've got to believe that screeners will be out soon. Hopefully some of these folks will post their thoughts on this much anticipated release.

Steve

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
There is no way that the Lucy episode will appear on this set, especially since Season 6 of I Love Lucy doesn't have as many memorable episodes as other seasons. Paramount isn't going to lend out an episode for inclusion on another set that many fans of Superman might be getting the Lucy set for.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I only have this to report Steve.

The cache text page from the official Warners web site is still advertising these as the extras on the DVD as of 25 Sep 05.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Retrospective Documentary The Adventures of Superman: From Inkwell to Backlot
• 1951 Theatrical Feature Superman and the Mole Men,
Later to Be Televised As the 2-Part The Unknown People
• Pony Express Days: Vintage Warner Bros. Historical Short Starring George Reeves
• Commentary on 4 Key Episodes by Superman Chroniclers
Gary H. Grossman and Chuck Harter
Selected Original Episode Previews
• Original Breakfast Cereal TV Spots
• Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Episodes Only).

AndySvn

Agent
To anyone in the Southern California region: Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen) will be autographing box sets at Rocket Video (corner of La Brea & Melrose) in Hollywood on Thursday, October 20th. I'm going to try and make it, and if I get a pic with him I will post it. :)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Not good news for fans hoping to see previews. If this turns out to be true...shame on Warner for robbing the fans of a real historic TV treasure...the serial formatted TAOS previews. :-(

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/ny-ffbuz4446632oct02,0,2751509.story[/url]

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the update Roy even if it is bad news. By the way, your link didn't quite work for me; the article can be found

here.

Didn't the original blurb say "selected" previews (implying that some were shown and some weren't)? I ask that because the Warners rep's comment that they weren't included because not all were available doesn't make sense in light of that original blurb.

It's too bad the reviewer didn't comment on the A/V quality of the episodes themselves.

Steve

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
I am sort of abit in the dark, so with this DVD set will the episodes themselves be the full version or edited eps?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Carlo, the episodes themselves will be full length. What's missing is the teaser for next week's episode.

While disappointing, we're still getting what looks to be a terrific set.

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve

Thast what I needed to know.

That to me is the most important part :)

Full eps :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Of course only seeing this in syndication I've never seen the previews for next week..would be nice if they were there thou

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am taking a cautiously optimistic 'wait and see' attitude on the whole previews issue. The Newsday article strikes me as being less than authoritative. The fact that it is called, "A Fan's Rant," and is not really a proper review doe snot help. The article also states that the first season is the only season that had previews, but I have a very strong recollection of seeing one (either in or for) the classic third season episode, "Panic In the Sky." I hope that at least a few of these make there way onto the set, if not, it still looks like it will be a stellar TVonDVD release.

The article also states that the first season is the only season that had previews, but I have a very strong recollection of seeing one (either in or for) the classic third season episode, "Panic In the Sky."
Alas, the article IS correct - the first season was the only one with official Previews of forthcoming episodes. You might be remembering something different - perhaps a specially-prepared commercial put together by your local station to plug the series. Possibly the distributor, Flamingo Films, assembled such commercials back in the early 1960's, although I'm sure stray prints would have turned up by now if they did. (Everybody here has seen the color commercials from the late 1960's, right? They certainly made the color episodes look more thrilling than they actually were!)

Michael

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
When I saw the show in syndication during the 1970's, I clearly remember seeing a preview at the end of "The Unknown People, Part 1" that showed clips from the Part II telecast, and it had voiceover narration as well. That could be one of the preview clips that's on the DVD set. We'll all find out very soon what's on there and what isn't.

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
The "Adventures of Superman" Season One contains all 26 1951 episodes along with the theatrical version of "Superman and the Mole Men."

I watched some of the episodes and scanned others and, for the most part, these are the nicest prints of the show that I've ever seen. Great compressing, nice blacks, whites and grays with sharp images. Of the episodes I watched or scanned through, only "The Stolen Costume" print was worn and faded. I guess the original negatives or better prints are no longer available to make a better transfer.

Some episodes are the original edits, "Crime Wave" is one. There's a lot of cool stock footage that was trimmed for television broadcast here. You'll get to see the old lady get shoved down the basement in "The Evil Three." Unfortunately, there are no previews. But I will check to see if they were "Easter Egged" in.

The collection of Kellogg's commercials were nice to see, but these only featured George Reeves alone and all were advertising Sugar Frosted Flakes. It was a kick to see the early Tony the Tiger. He's changed a bit over the years.

There's Warner Bros. short (in beautiful color) starring Reeves called "Pony Express Days." George really knew how to ride a horse!

The retrospective documentary, "Adventures of Superman: From Inkwell to Backlot" features Jack Larson and others. It was very nicely done and spotlighted each TAOS star.

For the mass market, this is a nice collection. I am sure some of our TAOS fan bretheren won't be completely happy over the set, but it will get George Reeves and his co-stars more notice among the viewing public.

Additionally, the graphics for the menus are very good, they did it comic book style. A definite thumb's up here!
- A.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Thank you ArmandV for that fantastic review.

I won't be completely happy with the set but it certain;y sounds very worthwhile. I don't understand why Warner didn't provide at least a few previews. But I've harped on that enough.

It sounds like Warner rooked us on the commercials, too.

Glad to hear to hear that the documentary is worthwhile.

Mainly...it sounds like the prints of the episodes are the nicest prints to date...I wish Warner could have found a better print of "The Stolen Costume" but I guess that one's the black sheep of the set.

Again...thanks for the "super" review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks