What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (1 Viewer)

I wonder how many Americans actually saw The Man Of Steel in "full living color" circa 1954?
Someone already mentioned this, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail. Whit Ellsworth talked Kellogg's into paying for color so the series would have future value. Color television had been approved by the FCC in December 1953, so everyone figured it would be inevitable. However, the transition took longer than expected, for various reasons, so the episodes were broadcast in b&w until 1965 (by which time Kellogg's was no longer the sponsor).

By then, color programming outweighed b&w on the networks, and the theatrical movie packages airing in prime time were now comprised mainly of color titles. It was finally worthwhile for people to replace their b&w sets. Sales of color TVs took off, and so National released the final 52 in color. The result was an explosion in popularity that led to "Superman" again becoming a top-five syndicated series, which led to merchandising such as the Topps cards, and finally to the 1966 Broadway show and Filmation cartoon series.

Michael

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I know that Season 1, while announced, isn't actually out yet, but since the last four seasons were exactly half of the first two, how do you think WB will release those sets? Individually, or maybe paired together?

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Thanks Micheal for the background info on the color broadcasts and the George Reeves short. I'm really looking forward to the DVD release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So can anyone say if the cover picture on the set is a colorized Season 1 picture or a picture from a later season.

The costume for the B&W shows was grey and brown instead of blue and red.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I read at another board that it was a black and white pic that was colorized, not sure if it's from Season 1 though :)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I just noticed over on Jim Nolt's site, "The Adventures Continue"...the latest book on George Reeves...."Behind The Crimson Cape -- The Cinema of George Reeves" is available through his web site or from Mike Bifulco.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
The Adventures Of Superman - Season One on DVD is available for pre-order on deepdiscountdvd.com for $29.99

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Tom, the syndicated version of The Stolen Costume always airs from what appears to be a bad 16mm print. ...Let's hope the powers that be actually found an original 35mm print of The Stolen Costume, and that's what winds up on the first season set.
Michael Hayde posted this on Jim Nolt's Superman yahoo group:

My source for information regarding this set...told me that he was there when another "expert" was finishing up commentary for "The Stolen Costume." He noticed that they were using the same horrid print that had been on the Columbia House set. My source went on to record his commentary for "Crime Wave" and noticed they were using the CH print for that as well. He spoke to the contact from Warner Brothers and asked a) why weren't they using the cleaner, better version of "Crime Wave" that had already been released by the company in 1988, and b) isn't there a better version of "Stolen Costume" in the vaults? The Warner source didn't know about a) but promised to follow up on it, and also said that they were actively searching for a better print of b). Some time later, my source was told that the proper elements were located for both a) and b)....

And, my source was told on day one that all the previews had been located and would be included

If all the above checks out, a superb set just got even better. Kudos to Warners for following up and ensuring the high quality of this release.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Steve...there's been no mention of "previews" from the TVShowsonDVD.com info but I think they indicated that their detail on the extras was incomplete. I hope we get 'em as most of us have seen the syndicated few previews...like "The Mind Machine".."Crime Wave"..."Czar of the Underworld"..."Rescue" and maybe a couple of others.

I hope Mr Hayde will shed more light on the "extras" for us...since the release date has been set. However...I guess the bottom line is...until Warner officially releases all pertinent info on the extras...it's just more topic of conversation.

I am concerned about Warner using Columbia House as the input source initially. Why would they do that when they should have the master reels? I was hoping for prints like the other 50s shows that I have in my collection...like "I Love Lucy" or "Have Gun Will Travel" but that doesn't necessarily sound like that will be the case.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I am concerned about Warner using Columbia House as the input source initially. Why would they do that when they should have the master reels?
I wondered about that also. It could be that some of the masters had deteriorated in the years since the Columbia House prints were struck and were no longer usable. Warner did say in last year's chat that there were element issues with this series.

Or it could be that it was simply cheaper to use the existing prints.

Steve

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Many times they use old transfers or check prints for the purposes of recording a commentary track in a timely manner (i.e. - they may not have done the new transfer yet at the time the commentary recording is scheduled). This is usually not indicative of the image that will be on the released version.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Thanks, Steve for this timely update. Also I imagine we're all grateful to Michael Hayde's source for his efforts on behalf of us who have high hopes for this release.

It could be that some of the masters had deteriorated in the years since the Columbia House prints were struck and were no longer usable.
Did Columbia House release Superman in 1988? I didn't realize it was that many years ago. Otherwise, I would think it possible that the deterioration occurred prior to the CH release.

Did Columbia House release Superman in 1988? I didn't realize it was that many years ago.
Warner Home Video released four VHS volumes (of two episodes each) in 1988, for Superman's 50th "Birthday." Volume Two contained a version of "Crime Wave" that I don't think ever aired on TV - the opening narration ("Bursting upon Metropolis almost without warning, a crime wave of tremendous proportions...") was absent and the first season stock footage was limited solely to the fight scenes. The memorable moment in this version is one where a hand releases an emergency brake on a truck, leading to a dispatcher getting his legs crushed. Volume Four contained a version of "The Face and the Voice" that was heavily edited - about a minute and a half of Boulder and his vocal coach was excised.

The Columbia House videos first came out around 1994-95. In this set, the version of "Crime Wave" was the usual TV version, and "Face and the Voice" was uncut. However, "My Friend Superman" was missing a short scene with Jimmy, Tony and his waitress-daughter.

As for the upcoming DVD release... I only know what I've been told by my source (one of the "Super-experts" to be named soon). I also wrote in that same message quoted by Steve...O that my source hasn't actually seen any of this stuff - he's just repeating what he's been told. I'm taking an "I'll believe it when I see it" stance on the previews and the clean version of "Stolen Costume," just so I won't be too disappointed if they're not all there.

Regarding the Kellogg's commercials: look for only the ones shot for the first season. These would be the Sugar Frosted Flakes ads featuring George Reeves and a bunch of "neigborhood kids." Also, they'll only include the ones with Tony the Tiger. Kellogg's (or their lawyers) would not permit the ones with Katy the Kangaroo to be used, as they let their trademark lapse on this character.

Michael

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Thanks Michael. I thought about the 1988 releases and my thought was....if those prints were nice....there should be more.

However...the guy that found these nice prints is probably retired now so these younger whipper snappers may not know where to look. :)

Warners' now has its official site up:

http://www.warnervideo.com/adventuresofsupermandvd/

Scroll the pointer over "Synopsis" and click on "First season" to read details about the box set. Looks like the "Wild West Days" short is actually called "Pony Express Days."

Possible bad sign: there's no mention of the Previews. So either they're embedded within the episodes (as they should be), or they're not there.

Good sign: there are links reserved for all the seasons. Hopefully that'll come to pass.

Michael

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Michael.

Have the names of the commentators been announced yet? I couldn't find any names on the linked site.

And yes, links being reserved for all the seasons appear to be good news. Hopefully the previews will be included as well.

STeve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks