What's new

George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't know how I feel about events going backwards, I actually always had my heart set on a film that would eventually show the end of the zombie outbreak. But, I suppose that's for another filmmaker, Romero would never kill off his undead darlings lol.

Looks like a Cloverfield approach to things this time around with one character recording and documenting the outbreak.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I had the same thought. I wonder how the perception of Diary of the Dead will be effected by coming out so soon after Cloverfield and essentially using the same gimmick?

Then again, the camcorder-captured horror experience is almost 10 years past its sell-by date. We're now seeing multimillion-dollar versions of something The Blair Witch Project did for $60,000.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have a feeling it's going to be a beat-you-to-the-punch situation, even though this film has been completed for awhile Cloverfield has beaten it to theaters thus potentially robbing Diary of the Dead of it's novelty.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm a little confused by the way he's doing this film because essentially he's doing a remake of his own movie only from a different perspective and set during a different time.

We saw the zombie outbreak begin in Night of the Living Dead and now we're going to see it begin again. :confused:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Oh, that's just great. I need to only drive 7 hours for the closest showing. Too bad it didn't go direct to DVD.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
Saw this Friday night in Boston. I liked it. How much I liked and were it stands compared to his others I'm not sure yet.

I think I need a second viewing. With a second viewing I can watch it fresh without any of the preconceived expectations that can get "amped up" by anticipation.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Precisely why I am finished with Romero's zombie films. It's also why I didn't enjoy LAND OF THE DEAD. Rather than continue some type of linear story which began in 1968 with the classic NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, this guy is now just making any zombie scenario, in any decade, with anything goes. He pioneered the genre in 1968, now he just follows what he himself started, looking like a copycat himself... and relying on the "Blair Witch" vidcam thing again, to boot.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
Yes they do. That's were the similarities pretty much end between DOD and BW.

DOD has a completely different story and a message. I can see were people might say that the message was heavy handed though.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
OK - all I meant was that the idea of the camcording angle was done in BLAIR WITCH, and recently CLOVERFIELD.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Romero actually came up with the idea of Diary of the Dead before Cloverfield was ever announced.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

To be fair, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead didn't follow the linear story set in Night of the Living Dead either. Each film takes place in their own decade. The only actual "continuation" is that in each four films, the outbreak is farther down the line and gets worse and worse. So in that respect, Land of the Dead followed what the other two sequels did in that it advanced the zombie outbreak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks