What's new

Gentle Ben from CBS? -- Coming on October 15th (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
One of the *many* productions from Ivan Tors ("Daktari", "Flipper", "Ripcord", "Sea Hunt", in addition to films like "Hello Down There").

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This show was popular and re-run all the time in the 70's but I don't think I've seen it since then. I loved it back then and will pick this up even though I would have preffered The Beverly Hillbillies.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Randy Korstick said:
This show was popular and re-run all the time in the 70's but I don't think I've seen it since then. I loved it back then and will pick this up even though I would have preffered The Beverly Hillbillies.
A couple of months ago, someone provided a link to a CBS digital site that stated they were working on digital restoration of The Honeymooners, Beverly Hillbilles and one other show that I can't remember. Seeing as The Honeymooners are done, perhaps TBH will be coming before long as well.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I would seriously consider a complete series of the Beverly Hillbillies. I will buy Gentle Ben at least for old time sake if nothing else. Does CBS own It's About Time?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
This release is definitely a shock. I'd never thought I'd see CBS/Paramount do something so obscure, and in black and white no less. Perhaps someone over there is a Dennis Weaver fan? All his seasons of Gunsmoke are coming out and now his starring show.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'm a little surprised also (always happy to see major studios releasing shorter-run old shows), but it isn't a black-and-white series. They haven't given in to us to THAT extent...

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I thought it went longer than 2 seasons but I'm wrong obviously. I figure this is a "two and done" deal like Timeless did on Grizzly Adams. I just hope the episodes are complete.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Actually this is a color show. I only consider this slightly more obscure than Flipper the two shows ran back to back in reruns for years in the 70's. There are 2 remake movies of it from 2002 and 2003. But compared to continuing many of their stalled shows then yes its obscure.
jdee28 said:
This release is definitely a shock. I'd never thought I'd see CBS/Paramount do something so obscure, and in black and white no less. Perhaps someone over there is a Dennis Weaver fan? All his seasons of Gunsmoke are coming out and now his starring show.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randy Korstick said:
Actually this is a color show. I only consider this slightly more obscure than Flipper the two shows ran back to back in reruns for years in the 70's. There are 2 remake movies of it from 2002 and 2003. But compared to continuing many of their stalled shows then yes its obscure.
Randy, as you said, I would've preferred the Hillbillies. However, this gives some hope that TV on DVD isn't dead or even on life support if they're picking up something of this nature.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I will buy this release,I have not seen this show in years.Will they remaster it?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cowboy said:
I will buy this release,I have not seen this show in years.Will they remaster it?
I know CBS only distributed The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams for Timeless, but I just have this underlying fear that it will be cut episodes that aren't even remastered. Grizzly Adams was, at least in some cases, quite obviously from video tape sources.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Ron1973 said:
A couple of months ago, someone provided a link to a CBS digital site that stated they were working on digital restoration of The Honeymooners, Beverly Hillbilles and one other show that I can't remember. Seeing as The Honeymooners are done, perhaps TBH will be coming before long as well.
Hey Ron that was me. Honeymooners Blu is announced. More Rawhide and TBH are hopefully coming soon.

http://www.cbsdvfx.com/#/cccc

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
Happy for those who want this but it'd be nice if CBS would go back to a couple stalled titles IMO.
Yeah. I'm getting this for sure, but I know what you mean. CBS is the king of title hopping.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
dhammer said:
I would seriously consider a complete series of the Beverly Hillbillies. I will buy Gentle Ben at least for old time sake if nothing else. Does CBS own It's About Time?
No, that's owned by MGM. Which should give you hope as they seem to be licensing their shows out like crazy now after sitting on them for so long. Unfortunately, I know of one independent who would have jumped all over that series and several other obscurities had they been offered reasonably a half decade ago. Now, since the market has changed, they aren't in a position to pay up front rights fees so they can no longer do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks