What's new

General thoughts on Velodyne, KEF and Dynaudio? (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
So basically I magically landed a sales job at the local store (Gramophone, if you're local to SE Michigan), so I'm really excited, being only 21 and having such a cool job. (It beats my office jobs) Now, I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible, between reading literature and training sessions, but I know that HTF is the perfect place to get a good grasp of what people think about certain manufacturers. We carry Velodyne, KEF and Dynaudio (plus Paradigm, but I've done enough reading on them for my own purposes, so no worries there), and I was wondering what you think from previous auditions. So far, it seems like the KEFs are rather on the bright side, with that "hypertweeter" really stretching the freq range, whereas the Dynaudios seem a little more subdued and warmer. I haven't had much chance to test them out with music I know, that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Thanks for any input, in advance, I want to be the best salesperson I can be, assuming I can wipe this grin off my face. :)

P.S. I was able to sit in our theater room for a bit...set of Revel Studios (I think that's the line), with matching surrounds, center and sub...now that was fun. As was fiddling with the Velodyne Digital Drive 18" sub...that sucker POUNDS.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
You're right on with the KEF XQ line, especially the XQ5's. Now, the KEF Reference line is not as bright and has a much smoother sound to it. Actually, I like the Reference line a whole lot, and wouldn't mind picking some up, but then there's that price thing coming into play. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I can vouch for Velodyne subs absolutely.

I was blowing subs right and left til, nearly 3 years ago now, I bought a 15" Velodyne. That was one of my all time best HT decisions to date.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I am Dynaudio fan. They are difficult to beat at their respective price point. They are accurate to an extent, I am not too sure the Kef or many other speakers are. This company is really producing great products across the line.

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I work at soundtrack in colorado springs, and I love the kef's. I was all prepared to get a set of XQ5's, XQ3's and an XQ2C. But I got a killer deal on a set of Boston Acoustics VR-950's.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
We actually only seem to carry the Studio and regular Q series...they had the XQs a year ago, but it must've conflicted with something else (we won't be carrying Paradigm Signatures probably, says the manager, due to them being close to the Dyns and Kef Studios...bah)

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
FYI, KEF doesn't have a Studio series, and as for not carrying anything above the Q series line if KEF is so-so. These put out some sound and will fill a room no problem, but I've found them to be a little on the harsh side (just my opinion). Really the Reference line will run with just about anything else under $10K for a pair.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
yeah, you're absolutely right...I own studio 40s, so I tend to replace "studio" with "reference" and vice versa...gotta stop doing that.

Not easy, with the store carrying both lines :P

I might have a big sale coming up soon, so that'll be really exciting, since I only just started...just hope I don't screw it up.

george king

Supporting Actor
Joe,

A couple of things. Congrats on the new job, Gramaphone is a great store. I grew up in West Bloomfield and went to high school at Cranbrook, and so I know the area REAL well.

I was a long time Kef owner until I went DIY. That said, the Kef ref 205 were the first or second best set of speakers I have ever heard (the other was some Green Mountains), and they are competitive with anything up to $10K. They do list for around $8K though

Good luck.

sharpjd2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Joe Hsu,

Any experience with the KEF KHT5005.2 system? Looks interesting to me but I can't find a dealer nearby to audition it. Any thoughts? Let me know if your store sells them. I'm in Indiana so I could get them from you and ship them here. Thanks in advance.

Sharpjd2001

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Velodyne, KEF, Dynaudio and Paradigm all have some fine products. Congrats- that should be a fun job!

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
lol...that's funny, I was just looking at the last post and followed right along. Oh well, I am bored anyway...

vm8444

Agent
Real Name
vince mirabelli
great job mate ,,
congrats ,,

I think electronics really plays a role here when it comes to sound ,,.
and yes it is true your stereo is as good as its weakest link ,,so matching the correct decent amps with speakers really helps achieving a lovely sound with paradigm ,studios series,I like nad ,,amps.or recievers.,,with decent cables [aq]

kef ,spkers,nad and marantz sound lovely with em ,,not bright at all ,,the new xq series .,,
so I say have fun ,,play around with the equipment when not busy and enjoy,,
always remeber its really about the sound.

peace vm

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
!!!:eek:

let's read all of the posts before we chime in, maybe being repetitious or otherwise saying things unnecessarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks