What's new

General AV Receiver input/output capabilities (1 Viewer)

D Darko

Auditioning
Real Name
j myer
I have managed to hook up a small home theater system without the use of an av receiver so far but now am considering buying one so avoid all the cables. I currently run seperate hdmi's for my computer(hp dv6000 entertainment package), Xbox 360, and for a 3d capable bluray(sony BDV-E280) all to my 3d capable projector(LG BX327). The problem is the projector only has a single HDMI input and when changing between inputs I have to manually change HDMI cables. My question is, if the receiver is reading an HDMI input say from the bluray, is it possible for the receiver to output an HDMI simultaneously to the projector? If not, are there any ways around this?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yes - that's what A/V receivers are designed to do.

You connect HDMI outputs from all of your devices to HDMI inputs on the receiver. You then connect a single HDMI from the output on the receiver to your display. You use the input selection on the receiver to choose which of the inputs is output to the projector.

Connecting your devices this way doesn't necessarily eliminate any cables (you still need 1 HDMI cable for each source, plus one more HDMI cable to run from the receiver to the projector) but it eliminates the need for many lengthy cables, and more importantly provides you with a single source for switching audio and video (the receiver) without having to swap cables.

The only other consideration is if you have any non-HDMI devices, you will want to choose a projector that can up-convert those input signals to also be output via the receiver's HDMI out - this feature is called "analog-to-HDMI upconversion".

Also, keep in mind that usually when you opt to get a receiver, you also get external speakers to go with it - you use these speakers instead of the speakers built into the TV.

If all of your devices are HDMI, though, you can still use the TVs speakers if you wish, since HDMI will carry audio and video.

D Darko

Auditioning
Real Name
j myer
Okay thanks, that's what I figured. I had just heard differently when looking up different receivers. The bluray I use has a surround sound system with it but the input/output HDMI's did not work in sync like that of the av receiver.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hmm, combo Blu-Ray and receiver units are a whole different ballgame - they don't work like "regular" devices. In fact, the HDMI out from that may only carry video, and not audio (might know for sure if you list the model number)... it's not a component you should consider keeping for the long haul.

If you are considering investing in a receiver, spend the extra $70-100 and get a standalone Blu-Ray player - the models from Panasonic are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks