What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
That is sad. DVRd them, but haven't watched yet. Always thought BBC was a bit more realistic than US channels, but apparently edited just like what we get. Guess I'll be waiting for the DVD.

Does BBC show full episodes? Or is it just BBCA that edits.

I think it was produced by the BBC for BBC2, which offers more mature audience programming and they treat sex the way we treat violence. So, I suspect it was never edited for the sex in the UK. I also suspect that if one buys the digital copies from Amazon or iTunes (as opposed to watching it for free on BBC America with proof you pay for DirecTV or the like to include BBC America), the run times appear a few minutes longer, which would account for the edits.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I think it was produced by the BBC for BBC2, which offers more mature audience programming and they treat sex the way we treat violence. So, I suspect it was never edited for the sex in the UK. I also suspect that if one buys the digital copies from Amazon or iTunes (as opposed to watching it for free on BBC America with proof you pay for DirecTV or the like to include BBC America), they are a few minutes longer, which would account for the edits.

Watching it for free? Nice joke.

I've got DISH, couldn't even tell you what I pay, they just suck money out of my account. It's hardly free :)

I'd actually like to go to a cheaper package, there are only about 15 channels I like, but BBCA is one of them.

They may advertise 300 channels, but how many shopping, knife selling, crappy channels do we need? Thank goodness you can set up a "favorites" menu and ignore the junk.

As for uncut shows, IFC and Sundance are pretty good. I think Sundance may do some editing but they let most things go. IFC breaks for commercials, but I don't think they edit.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I think it was produced by the BBC for BBC2, which offers more mature audience programming and they treat sex the way we treat violence. So, I suspect it was never edited for the sex in the UK. I also suspect that if one buys the digital copies from Amazon or iTunes (as opposed to watching it for free on BBC America with proof you pay for DirecTV or the like to include BBC America), the run times appear a few minutes longer, which would account for the edits.

It wasn't edited at all when it was broadcast here in the UK on BBC2 earlier this year. It was one of the most frank 'gay sex scene' series here and garnered a few complaints but the BBC were brave enough to say 'use the off switch if you don't like it'

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Placed my order last night for EDGE OF SEVENTEEN (I had forgotten about it until I saw the DVDBeaver review!)

It's currently the #1 new release in LGBT films (though I'm not sure that's saying much....what else is out there right now?)

81a618Ho5jL._SX385_.jpg

It'll be fun visiting this one again (now bring on BEAUTIFUL THING!!)
Not as good as GET REAL.I found it rather tedious

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Not as good as GET REAL.I found it rather tedious
I enjoy all three films. All have strong casts with leads that have flaws that make them both more interesting and real.

I just finished the 47 minute interview between the director and the writer of Edge of Seventeen and I don't find it surprising at all that Todd Stephens, the writer, basically wrote exactly what he went through all the way down to where he worked and met his version of Rod.

Stephens decided he wanted David Moreton, his production partner, to assume directing responsibilities after Stephens spent too much energy being concerned that the Coke machine was on the wrong side of the restaurant from where it had been in his real life...that is how much this film is, or was (up to that point), a reenactment of his life.

I find it incredible that such a specific story has resulted in Stephens hearing from so many 40 something gay men that, "That is exactly how it happened for me, too." I thought maybe I was one of a few that found it remarkably very much like my own experience: the not really coming out; still trying to date girls; feeling loved by the parents, but dealing with the "What did we do wrong?" issue with them; (falsely) thinking gay men would automatically be a source of community, trust, and comfort only to learn that I was being treated like a sex toy by more than a few men I thought I was dating; finally figuring it all out, just like Eric...except my Angie (Lea Delaria) was a gay male investment banker I met through a gay hotline that I thought was for guidance and support, but Alan (my Angie) let me know most men just called for bar directions. :)

Edge of Seventeen has the most personal resonance for me of the three films. I love Get Real and Beautiful Thing, but they feel less personal to me. I don't find any of the three tedious in the least. Get Real feels the most like a "message film" of the three and therefore the least like someone's personal journey, though I still feel sad for the John Dixons of the world; I suspect too many of his type still end up married to women and cheating on their wives with men, even in 2016.

One quick note, and the impetus for this posting, is that I decided after watching the interview to revisit Todd Stephens's other films and found out Gypsy 83 is now out of print on DVD and I don't see an option to buy a digital copy.
movieposter.jpg

The new DVDs listed on Amazon are priced at typical scalper prices for new copies, but I found a reliable seller offering new DVDs on eBay at a more reasonable price and thought I would pass along that OOP alert while there is a decent chance to snag a DVD of Gypsy 83 while you still can for about $18.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291675539916

Other points of interest, Chris Stafford, who played Eric in Edge of Seventeen is now a lawyer. (I noticed he got his J.D. in 2005.)

Todd Stephens's other films are already on Blu-ray with Another Gay Movie and Another Gay Sequel being on the same disc... and now (apparently) out of print, too!

If Edge of Seventeen is his gay Sixteen Candles, then Another Gay Movie is his American Pie, which is probably why I enjoy it but don't like it nearly as much as Edge of Seventeen...and Another Gay Sequel is a waste of shared space on that Blu-ray with its predecessor, IMHO.

I am glad I already had my copy of Another Gay Movie/Another Gay Sequel on Blu-ray if just to have AGM.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We ended up watching Jenny's Wedding tonight, streaming on Netflix, on DVD and available on Amazon video.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 5. It's not a terrible movie; certainly stilted, hard to believe at times and with a subplot which makes no sense. A woman is finally forced out of the closet to her family when she's tired of lying about who she is or is not seeing. Katherine Heigl stars and she's serviceable enough. Tom Wilkinson is his normal, reliable self. The script fails all of them; it's heart is in the right place, but the execution is completely lacking.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It wasn't edited at all when it was broadcast here in the UK on BBC2 earlier this year. It was one of the most frank 'gay sex scene' series here and garnered a few complaints but the BBC were brave enough to say 'use the off switch if you don't like it'

Nobody complains in Australia when full frontal male and female nudity are shown uncut on commercial TV..One recent British documentary series was set in a clinic for sexual diseases.Many of the males being filmed whilst they were having check-ups, dropped their pants during the doctor's inspection of their genitals.Nothing was cut . This series was shown on a government TV channel during peak hour at night. Another Government tv channel recently had a documentary series from Europe which was a dating service whereby all contestants had to see if they were compatible as a couple. The series was set on a deserted island and all contestants had to be completely naked whilst living on the island 24/7. You were not allowed to have any clothes on the island.You left them on the boat that brought you to the island.Nothing was censored and it was different from all other television dating shows. A second series will be shown soon on the same Government owned television channel .If people are offended by nudity on television ,then they have a problem. One of the most popular dating television series in Australia today is from China but the contestants always are fully clothed. Europeans are not offended by nudity like the Americans are. Thirty years ago I went on an overnight ferry between two European countries.In the male gym and sauna section, all the men were naked and they even had female workers (clothed)in the same area. No one was offended by females working an a naked male environment.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
A straight friend who loves horror shared this today. While I am not a slasher flick fan, I found this to be an interesting read and it might even prompt me to re-watch A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, which I haven't seen since it was VHS, and only then at a friend's house.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzm...nd-the-gayest-horror-film-ever-made#.tcvydLDr

There is also a documentary about the now out actor's struggles with Hollywood of the 1980s.
http://www.people.com/article/documentary-nightmare-on-elm-street-2-gay-subtext
To paraphrase the article, there is not a gay subtext to Nightmare on Elm Street 2 there is text...there is nothing sub about it.

photo-original.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HOLDING THE MAN is one of the better recent gay films released on bluray. Not as powerful as the stage show but still worth buying.
I have not heard of this.

Based on the trailer, I suspect I am going to really like this.

And what a great cast!

This is exactly the type of post that makes me love this thread. Thanks Peter!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A straight friend who loves horror shared this today. While I am not a slasher flick fan, I found this to be an interesting read and it might even prompt me to re-watch A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, which I haven't seen since it was VHS, and only then at a friend's house.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzm...nd-the-gayest-horror-film-ever-made#.tcvydLDr

There is also a documentary about the now out actor's struggles with Hollywood of the 1980s.
http://www.people.com/article/documentary-nightmare-on-elm-street-2-gay-subtext
To paraphrase the article, there is not a gay subtext to Nightmare on Elm Street 2 there is text...there is nothing sub about it.

photo-original.jpg

Cheers!

It's been funded on Kickstarter, but isn't done yet.

Looks like it will be an interesting companion to Never Sleep Again.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
When does this come out in the US? Unfortunately importing from AU is very, very expensive.
I hope it gets released here, too.

I would hope it does the rounds at US queer film festivals and then gets a release on Blu-ray here.

The UK got Lilting on Blu-ray, but we only got a DVD release in the USA.

The good thing is that I was able to get Holding the Man on Blu-ray on eBay for ~$28.00 with shipping from AU from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131701049346?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It is listed as a Zone B release, so I will test that once I get it. I assume it will take this side of a month to reach me. Once I get it, I will post if it truly is zone B locked and if there are any other notes about the Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finished watching London Spy this week and found the show pretty much gripping from beginning to end. I might have been just a tad disappointed with the ending (though I guess that suggests another season for the show).

More dismaying, however, is that no Blu-ray release is planned for it here. It's only listed as a DVD release (in April, I think).

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I finished watching London Spy this week and found the show pretty much gripping from beginning to end. I might have been just a tad disappointed with the ending (though I guess that suggests another season for the show).

I've been waiting for someone to finish it to see what they thought. As I said when I talked about it earlier, I also found it gripping in the moment but, as soon as I stepped away and actually thought about it, a glaring plot hole opened up that I just couldn't reconcile.

I'm curious as to other thoughts but I don't want to post in the open forum so as to be responsible for any spoilers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks