What's new

Gateway Plasma or Planar Plasma (1 Viewer)

Kaima

Grip
I was wondering if anyone own either of these two Plasma TVs. They're both under $3k but they're both at 8xx X 480 resolution so I'm thinking it only supports 480p.

How does DVD movies look on these plasmas? We have a 32" Sony Plasma at work for games and the Xbox running at 720p looks great on it but movies looks terrible.

Thanks!

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
The Gateway plasma offers abysmal performance. I wouldn't recommend it to the blind. I haven't seen the other plasma but I can tell you that this technology is still young and you tend to get what you paid for when you buy a low budget plasma.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
If you are really interested in a plasma, for a little over $3K, you can get the current 42" Panasonic ED (852 x 480) display. Although it is only a monitor (you can use a VCR, TIVO, or cable box for the tuner), it has outstanding picture quality for DVDs and also does a pretty good job with standard cable TV. It is far superior to the Gateway and Planar.

-Steve

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I second Steve's recommendation, spend a little more and get the Panasonic.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
The Gateway is made by Sampo w/ a cheaper screen (dark). The Sampo has a better screen (brighter) and is about the same price. All the guts are the same.

This is what I've read, I don't have either set, and I'm gonna wait till LCD's get larger. I've read life expentancy is about 2 yrs. on the screen. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks