What's new

Gasoline Tanker flips, explodes.. takes out bridge near detroit (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.freep.com/article/20090715/NEWS03/90715083/1005/news03

Holy Cow!

. A stretch of I-75 was expected to be shut down indefinitely after a gasoline tanker exploded Wednesday night near 9 Mile, causing the overpass on the northbound side to collapse.
adlabel_horz.gif

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');
Thick black smoke billowed from the scene and flames shot up 150 to 200 feet, snarling traffic on both sides. Authorities advised the thousands of commuters heading for work this morning to look for alternative routes. That section of I-75 — from 8 Mile to I-696 — carries an average of more than 160,000 vehicles a day, according to state traffic counts. The tanker overturned apparently after colliding with a tractor-trailer. It was not immediately clear how many vehicles were involved. The tanker driver appeared to have survived. Lt. Shannon Sims of the Michigan State Police post in Oak Park confirmed that the fire and heat from the tanker blast had caused the 9 Mile overpass above northbound I-75 to collapse. “Until they get that fire out, it's going to be hard for us to get in there and determine what happened,” Sims said.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This has been all over the local news this morning. Amazingly, no one was seriously injured in the accident.

That stretch of freeway will be closed for a few months. My sympathies to those who travel that route on their daily commutes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Don't worry Scott.. a lot of us caught the story, but thankfully, it didn't sidetrack CNN or MSNBC or any of the others from the real important news of the world (rundowns of the Michael Jackson family with interviews)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In 1982 a tanker exploded inside the Caldocott-Tunnel between Oakland and Orinda Ca. killing seven people. Tankers have since been restricted to 2-4 AM.

Well, after reading the story it looks like more of a fire than an explosion, but still horrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks