1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

GameCube - Pogressive Scan?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Hi Everybody,
    Today I was reading EGMonthly (December 2001 issue), their front page story is of course XBOX vs. GAMECUBE.
    On page 188, they state under the Digital A/V Out heading for the GameCube...
    "...And if the game you are playing and the TV both support it, the GameCube is capable of pumping out a progressive scan picture which makes everything look even better."
    then on page 202, the Rogue Leader launch day review quotes the games producer Brett Tosti saying,
    "We didn't hold anything back," "..Rogue Leader's got amazing visuals, much improved AI, authentic dialog recorded from the movies, and HDTV and Pro Logic II surround-sound support. It's the ultimate Star Wars package."
    I've been out of the loop for a bit, so I'm wondering if I've missed something. Are these old quotes, pre-launch finalized specs, or is this for real??
    Sure would be a nice surprise though...
    ....also on page 216, they are comparing Hardware Horsepower...on the Cube's side of the page...under the SOUNDS ALMOST AS GOOD heading....they quote the Factor 5 president, Julian Eggebrecht.."But the GameCube[sound chip] can do anything one programs it for, so, yes, even DTS encoding is possible,"
    I had read that the Cube would be able to "do" surround sound via the software end of things, but its the first I've heard anyone mention DTS...
    Any thoughts?
    Phil

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Well-Known Member

Yes the GameCube can do progressive scan at 480p. I believe you need the component cables to do so and they are currently only sold on Nintendo's web store. I think you will see 3rd party cables at launch or shortly after. As far as DTS goes I think it is only capable if your receiver is. But understand that the GameCube as far as I know the GameCube can not do 5.1 surround. But I could be wrong on that.
    [Edited last by Joshua Moran on November 13, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

3. ruhrie

ruhrie Active Member

Phil,
    To answer your question yes to all of the above. Those are the finalized specs on the Gamecube. The unit does have progressive scan capability. It will truly depend on the game manufacturer. Rogue Squadron II does have progressive scan technology and the Dolby Pro Logic II.
    Hope that helps,
    Rich

4. ruhrie

ruhrie Active Member

Whoops that is what I get for paying attention [​IMG]

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Well-Known Member

How does the DTS thing work? Don't you need a digital audio out to pass a DTS signal?
    Good news on the prog-scan! I didn't know that.

6. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Well-Known Member

another question. Why can't someone program a game to pump dolby 5.1 to send out through either the left or right sound cable then you would plug that L or R into the digital coax of the receiver....
    maybe i'm just dreaming,
    jay

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Well-Known Member

9. Richard Knight

Richard Knight Active Member

Not terribly sure about DTS or DD5.1, I thought they required a cable capable of sending compressed data. Nonetheless, it is possible, provided somebody releases the necessary plug.
    Meanwhile, though, my receiver waits, ready to activate Pro-Logic II mode for some Rogue-Leader imperial ass-kicking. [​IMG]
    If Factor5 builds PLII support into their "Musyx" tools, expect to see a lot of PLII support. Then, in a weird way, the consoles will all be segregated as:
    Xbox: DD5.1
    PS2: DTS
    GC: PL II
    Richard

10. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Hi Again,
    Thanks to everyone that replied. I am pleasantly surprised to hear that the Cube will be progressive scan, DTS, and possibly DD 5.1. I was aware of DPL II, but alas my receiver isn't compatible with DPL II.
    I too and a little confused with how the Cube will output these surround-sound modes without an optical cable...anyone able to shed some light?
    Phil
    P.S. The XBOX dropped its progressive scan output before launch correct?

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Well-Known Member

"P.S. The XBOX dropped its progressive scan output before launch correct?"
    Sort of. XBoxen can't show DVDs in progressive scan, as they have disabled that feature of the player software. Games don't have to use macrovision, so they can do progressive scan and even 740p apparently. The feature was dropped for the same reason that the RGB output on the Playstation 2 was crippled for DVD playback; the license requires you to support copy protection, which they weren't doing in these modes. Rather than fix it they just disabled the feature. Of course, given the fact that you can get mod discs that fix the PS2 problem I suspect the same will happen with the XBox as well.

12. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

13. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Well-Known Member

Brian, get yourself a DVDRegionX disc. As well as fixing the Green problem, it gives you multiregion as well (its the main purpose of the thing). £20 from most places, but I'm not sure who ships to the US.
    ------------------
    woohoo!

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Well-Known Member

15. StaceyS

StaceyS Well-Known Member

16. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Graeme,
    If I understand you correctly then, since the Cube has no optical out or digital coax out then DD 5.1 and DTS is a "mute" point then. So the Cube will be a DPL II surround-sound console then I guess. If that's the case, that sucks, since my receiver is not DPL II. Crazy to think that the Big N would overlook such a problem. I think that there are a far greater number of receivers out there that are DD5.1 and DTS compatible than there are DPL II. I have a high end Yamaha, only 6 months old and not DPL II.
    It is my understanding that DPL II is based on the "old" analog Dolby Pro Logic and not a true a digital signal. Has there been any speculation if a cable will be released to facilitate digital audio output from the Cube?
    I've also read the thread Monster Cable's support of the Xbox. Has any one heard if there will be 3rd party support for the Cube by Monster Cable or Acoustic Research. I have a component AR cable for my PS2 and I am very satisfied with it.
    Phil
    P.S. Sorry to everyone for posting the "Pogressive" I have to watch my pudgy fingers...

17. Joseph S

Joseph S Well-Known Member