What's new

game room - dart board (1 Viewer)

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
I have a game room with a pool table, poker table, and now a dart board. Since I'm a new player at darts and will probably will be played while intoxicated, I need to make a decorative "background" so I don't put millions of holes in the wall. I was thinking about cork board (bulletin board stuff) or maybe even some sort of soft wood. Has anyone else done anything like this? Please share. Pictures would be the best. thanks.

BrianKR

Second Unit
The simplist way to go would be cork board, a piece of corner molding and paint it a color that goes with the room decor.

I built a 32" x 54" cabinet for my dartboard with a sheet of plywood, some 1 x 4, corner molding, and left over panel from the game room. It was almost invisible when hung on the wall and if you miss the dart board you are hitting soft plywood instead of my panel.

Jason D.

Agent
Yes...corkboard works great...I used it in my last house....but it is sometimes hard to find. Try your local arts & crafts store if you can't find it elsewhere (i.e. Michaels, Crafts Etc, Hobby Lobby, etc.). Good luck!

-Jason

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think you may be able to find cork tiles at a flooring store.

Or... you could just buy a 10 gallon drum of spackle. ;)

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure it is a THICK corkboard if you are mouting it on the wall directly. My brother put his up right after painting his 'Georgia' room. We made the mistake of lettubng my Mom take a shot, which wasn't even close. When we pulled the dart out of the corkboard, you could see the red paint and the white drywall :D

TonyGricar

Agent
I used hardboard, covered it in cork tiles from the local lowes, and then covered that in felt that matched my pool table. the table is crimson red and my local table supplier happened to have a piece he had just removed from a demo so i got an amazing deal on it. odds are, if cost is an issue, you can check your local fabric shop for a color match in something cheaper.

oh, and i trimmed the board in thin moldings, stained to match the wood base and crown moldings in the billiard room. looks first class.

forgot to add that i built the board so that it ended just above my base moldings and approx. 4' wide to handle wide, errant shots. it's not the wide shots that hurt so much, as the short shots seem much more frequent (especially after a few pints and we turn it into an indoor version of jarts or H.O.R.S.E.).

mom always said don't run with darts, but nothing about HORSE.

tony

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Honestly I have to say that I believe that fixing the wall back to "normal" after installing some kind of "dart stop" to protect the drywall is a good deal more effort than just plugging the drywall for the occasional errant shot. I'm planning on getting a dartboard cabinet for my house eventually, the kind you open up and has chalkboards for scoring. They're usually wood and they handle most errant shots, with the occasional really bad shot being fixable with spackle.

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this weekend I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some cork board. I got 2 24"x36" pieces with wooden frames for $9 each. They are about 5/8" thick or so. What I did was busted out the bottom frame on one and the top part of the frame on the other and cut off the mitered ends so they would match. Then I cut down a 1/8" piece of pine so that it would fit inside the frame on the back. I applied construction adhesive to the back of the cork board and the piece of pine and put them together. So now I have a 3' wide by 4' high piece of cork board with a nice frame. I used my plunge router and cut a hole the size of the bracket for the dart board in the cork board. I placed the dart board (top of board) 6" from the top of the frame. I hung it on the wall using screws and washers using my stud finder and level.
It looks really nice and works really well. I have not painted it yet and I may not paint it at all. It depends on what the wife thinks about that. I'll have to post some pics as soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks