What's new

Game of Thrones Season 4 (news and episodes discussion) (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David Nutter, who directed the third season's Red Wedding episode, told Comic Book Resources that he's directing the ninth and tenth episodes of Season 5.Alex Graves, who directed the incredibly controversial rape scene as well as the Purple Wedding and last night's showdown between the Mountain and the Red Viper, will not be returning for Season 5.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
10442412_729288193777129_8799568520593918229_n.jpg

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Loved the battle scenes in tonight's episode. There was an epic feel to it that was missing from the episode with the battle of Blackwater.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I too thought it was better than Blackwater. Marshall getting better and learning from the past, I suppose.

I liked the episode a great deal - more than last week's even. I thought Ygritte's death was really well done. Great moment. And, I loved the Sam moments in this episode.

I hope next week gives me the big moments I've been expecting, but I'm wondering if they've had enough big moments this season and plan to wait until next season.

Why kill Tywin now when they can wait until next year? I'd prefer to see it next week, but I can see them keeping Tyrion's fate a cliffhanger.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Don't say that, Quentin! I've been waiting for

All the Tyrion-Shae-Tywin stuff

All season long!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Random thoughts:

I kind of like that they spent the entire episode at The Wall tonight.

Enjoyed the Sam moments quite a bit.

I'm going to miss our ginger wildling Ygritte. :(

Re: Quentin and Robert's posts (spoilers for non-readers, so don't look):

In the preview for next week, we see someone advancing on a door with a crossbow in hand. So yeah, I think you know what is going to happen with you know who in the finale of season 4.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The events with Jon have tended to be the least interesting to me, so an entire episode wasn't what I really wanted as the second to last of the season.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Wow, the defense of The Wall was really spectacular. That unbroken take with the camera panning across the fight in the courtyard was totally boss.

I actually got verklempt when Ygritte said, "you know nothing Jon Snow" for the last time. I've gotten verklempt maybe four or five times in the last ten years, so it's quite an accomplishment. This was full on lump in the throat and burning sinuses and everything.

RIP Pip and Grenn.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
RobertR said:
Loved the battle scenes in tonight's episode. There was an epic feel to it that was missing from the episode with the battle of Blackwater.
Reminded me a lot of The Two Towers in it's epic scope. Felt like 10 minutes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thought about this after my last post. A few episodes back when the 'kid' was spared to send word to the Crows that the Wildlings were on the march, I was very relieved that he didn't die. Last night the show kind of took that good feeling and undid it with the death of Ygritte.

The books / series seems to really have a knack for this sort of thing. As Tyrion via GRR Martin put it '...your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth'.

Edit: One other random thought about the episode.

For the life of me, I could not stop thinking of Team America: World Police when Sam promised he wouldn't die. I didn't want to think about how that scene, but I could not help myself. :)

- Walter.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Random thoughts:

I kind of like that they spent the entire episode at The Wall tonight.

Enjoyed the Sam moments quite a bit.

I'm going to miss our ginger wildling Ygritte. :(

Re: Quentin and Robert's posts (spoilers for non-readers, so don't look):

In the preview for next week, we see someone advancing on a door with a crossbow in hand. So yeah, I think you know what is going to happen with you know who in the finale of season 4.

- Walter.
Thanks Walter, sounds like I won't have to wait until next year. :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I thought it was every bit as good as Blackwater and probably the budget allowed them to give it a more epic feel with those wonderful shots showing us the scale and geography of what was happening.

I also like how Ygritte's death was slightly different - thought it worked really well.

Thrones this season has been more consistently at the top of its game for me (no pun intended :) ) and the long wait for Season 5 is going to be tough!!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last night's episode was really good -- is that the first time an episode stayed with a single location the whole time?

I wasn't surprised by Ygritte's death, but I was surprised that she couldn't pull the trigger when she saw Jon. Her line "We should have stayed in that cave" was perfect.

I haven't read the books, so I could be wrong about this, but I don't think anything will happen to Sam. It can't be a coincidence that Martin chose "Samwell" to be the trusted friend, and he has more than a little in common with Tolkien's "Samwise." For that reason, I wasn't afraid for Gilly and the baby (Sam's really the only one in LOTR who goes back to the shire and has a family life).

Of course, all of that makes Jon GoT's Frodo. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well said everyone. A couple thoughts:The giants were REALLY well done. Perhaps better than LOTRs. I cannot wait until we see WunWun!Aegon's stuff was AWESOME. Not so sure on the Sam Romance, that is going to make next season interesting =)I LOVED how they humanized Alisser Thorne in the end. I was not expecting that and it's a tremendous improvement on the books.I liked them showing Slynt as the weasel we expected too tho, in the books he and Thorne are cut from the same cloth, the divergence here is great.That one take rivals the one from True Detective, I think it was done better here even.The "I'm not nobody any more" convo between Pip and Sam? Tremendous!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Sam Favate said:
Last night's episode was really good -- is that the first time an episode stayed with a single location the whole time?
Season 2's Blackwater had a similar structure and feel and was set in King's Landing only directed by the same guy which is why I think a lot of comparisons are being made with it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So the only things left from book 3 that could possibly fit into the last episode of series 4 are
Stannis Baratheon saving the day at the Wall, and Tyrion's escape/death of Tywin Lannister.
Can anyone think of what else we might see?

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Steve, I think the following will also happen in the Seson 4 finale:
The Hound's death, Arya boarding the ship to Braavos, Bran reaching his destination/meeting the Children of the Forrest(book 5 stuff that is happening now), Dany caging her dragons after they eat a kid and Lady Stoneheart. I'm guessing that Balon Greyjoy's death will happen next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks