What's new

Game (3 of 3): Guess An Upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The Key (1958)

Holden, Loren, Carol Reed walked the (music) line with Oliver? and fought with Brando (Mutiny on the Bounty)... water-wash..

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
trajan said:
SECRET OF SANTA VICTORIA
You mean The Secret of Santa Vittoria (1969) with Anthony Quinn and Anna Magnani? It lines up with much of the clues. It is MGM/UA. Ernest Gold would be a first. This smells of TT. It wouldn't shock me to see it. Eventually.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Hasslein said:
The Key (1958)

Holden, Loren, Carol Reed walked the (music) line with Oliver? and fought with Brando (Mutiny on the Bounty)... water-wash..
NICE. Your reasoning is right and I love the movie. This isn't it though. Knowing Columbia and prior TT releases, who's to say in 6 months or a year...

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
BPullen said:
No. But it is part of the clue. "The Method" was Brando, "an Italian muse" was Maganni. The “spaghetti sauce”, “it all comes out in the wash", those are still unknown.
My question for the day, (I don't expect it to get answered) so Brando and Magnani are two of the answers to the clue, but neither are in the film? Rules say not to ask about actors in film, I'm asking about actors not in the film. :P

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Until Clue #2, I thought I had a guess that made reasonably good sense. On the slim chance that it might still be valid, I'm going to run with it anyway, even though I've never seen this picture so I'm not quite sure how the second tip might fit.

[*]"The Method" = the bane of Director Peter Ustinov, who admonished a bit performer playing too distractingly in the moment with "Don't just do something, stand there!"
[*]"An Italian muse" = Star Sophia Loren, wife of Producer Carlo Ponti, who featured her in many of his films, including this one.
[*]"Spaghetti sauce" = Newman's Own, as in the one and only Paul Leonard N.
[*]"It all comes out in the wash" = How the titular character got her start, working as a laundress in a famous Paris brothel.
[*]"Poor Marni Nixon…he “walked the line" = Newman - or another male character - singing undubbed?
[/list]
Released in 1965, and last seen from MGM/UA in the late 90s on VHS...Lady L.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
BPullen said:
You must have added more to this. I remember less. As to your reasons, clutch and convincing. Still this isn't the film.
Yes, I edited it after initially posting my guess. I wanted to get the guess up quickly, just in case someone beat me to the punch!

Moot effort to add the rest, since my guess was wrong! :)

Mark

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
ROclockCK said:
Until Clue #2, I thought I had a guess that made reasonably good sense. On the slim chance that it might still be valid, I'm going to run with it anyway, even though I've never seen this picture so I'm not quite sure how the second tip might fit.

[*]"The Method" = the bane of Director Peter Ustinov, who admonished a bit performer playing too distractingly in the moment with "Don't just do something, stand there!"
[*]"An Italian muse" = Star Sophia Loren, wife of Producer Carlo Ponti, who featured her in many of his films, including this one.
[*]"Spaghetti sauce" = Newman's Own, as in the one and only Paul Leonard N.
[*]"It all comes out in the wash" = How the titular character got her start, working as a laundress in a famous Paris brothel.
[*]"Poor Marni Nixon…he “walked the line" = Newman - or another male character - singing undubbed?
[/list]
Released in 1965, and last seen from MGM/UA in the late 90s on VHS...Lady L.
Two of your points are absolutely spot-on. You're scarring me Rock. Am I losing my touch? Thankfully it is not Lady L (1965).

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I can't match up all of the clues, but I'll take a guess - On the Beach (1959).

It has a method actor (Anthony Perkins), an Italian cinematographer (Giuseppe Rotunno), poor Marni Nixon was married to composer Ernest Gold (she says that he was repeatedly unfaithful to her while they were married), and lead actor Gregory Peck starred in I Walk the Line (1970).

It is a United Artists production which was released on DVD by MGM and Gold's score was nominated for an Academy Award, so it's a title which fits TT's model.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Richard Gallagher said:

It has a method actor (Anthony Perkins), an Italian cinematographer (Giuseppe Rotunno), poor Marni Nixon was married to composer Ernest Gold (she says that he was repeatedly unfaithful to her while they were married), and lead actor Gregory Peck starred in I Walk the Line (1970).

It is a United Artists production which was released on DVD by MGM and Gold's score was nominated for an Academy Award, so it's a title which fits TT's model.
Even if not...where is this one?

(Based on my assumption of "spaghetti sauce", war movies are included because of the GI ration...as long as it is a movie set after 1943)

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Richard Gallagher said:

Brilliant analysis Richard. If only it were true.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
BPullen said:
Two of your points are absolutely spot-on. You're scarring me Rock. Am I losing my touch? Thankfully it is not Lady L (1965).
Damn! Now I have a much better guess than the one I put forth today. Can't wait for midnight to roll around.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Using the clues and process of elimination through previous guesses in this thread (and prodded by wishful thinking), I'm thinking it might be Five Miles to Midnight (1962)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm thinking the "Italian muse" is a red herring. I'm looking for concubinage of actresses by Italian directors...(obviously I don't mean it literally)

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
The 2nd clue has got me really puzzled but I'll take a guess anyway. How to Murder Your Wife(1965).

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It sure sounds like BUONA SERA MRS CAMPBELL but thats a UA film...and you said it was a Sony....hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks